TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 10th 2009, 09:33 PM

Alright, I don't mean Student && Teacher dating.
I mean like...

What do you guys think is the limit for a teacher or student friendship I guess?
Haha.

My favoritee teacher and I are really close, he's so inspirational to me. But how close is too close without it being bad? We have a lot of discussions before school when I get there. For like half an hour. It's nothing bad. Just topics like history, and religion, and science. Just school stuff.
But my friends say it's weird that we talk so much.
Should I think it's weird?
I mean.. It's just a conversation, right?

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kokoro Offline
AKB48<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mi Sun

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 10th 2009, 09:36 PM

Okay I am REALLY good friends with a teacher from school, personally conversations are fine. Teachers are allowed to talk to you as they long as you both want to.

Teachers can be treat just as your friends. My teacher and I could talk for hours about random things and not bore eachother. Student/Teacher relationships are a good thing as long as you're not dating!

"Aww How Sweet!"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 10th 2009, 10:17 PM

I really don't think it's an issue at all.

I had a similar relationship with a teacher of mine where I would stay an hour after school to talk with him.

I do think it there may be a line crossed when if there's time spent out of school together. Also I do think that there are things in a teacher's personal life that a student shouldn't inquire about.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Commiseration Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 11th 2009, 12:08 AM

There's nothing wrong with being friends with someone who happens to be your teacher. They're just people too. Of course there's that personal line that can't be crossed.

My favorite teacher ever (at my college school) was, and I still consider him to be my friend. I've gone to see him since I've graduated. He taught me so much, not just about our professional industry, but about life. He used to talk to me about life, problems, his infamous motivational speeches, everything. He's just that kind of guy. Never really thought of him as just a teacher. Our school was totally relaxed though. I respected him as a teacher, and he respected me as a student, but there was also a respect as we were both just people. No "lines" were ever crossed. Just became good friends. Makes life better when students and teachers see each other as actual humans.

-Commiseration-

-Let the Music Play-
"There's no way to explain why life is filled with so much pain. But do the flowers ever grow in the places it don't rain?"

"But the unfortunate truth is that, while being different from everyone else can be exciting at first, ultimately it can get a little lonely."

"The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no further."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 11th 2009, 01:02 AM

I got close to teachers too. My sister actually got to the point of being really close to a teacher that she stayed the night to watch his kids and everything. It was all good too. Though those are rare cases.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 11th 2009, 03:31 AM

I don't see any problem with general discussion.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 11th 2009, 07:28 AM

Will, in my school the students and teachers are really close. We go eat after classes or when there is a soccer game (Soccer is a big deal in mexico) we go to a bar to watch it instead of having class, like the while class goes with the teacher to see it, etc.
But I don't know how what would be viewed in the USA

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 11th 2009, 09:37 AM

I don't think there is any problem with it. As long as you both feel comfortable and respect that there is a line that can't be crossed. For me personally that line is spending time with a teacher outside school (if there not a family friend or a relative etc) or any physical contact. Though that's just my opinion. But either way the majority of people seem to think what your doing is okay. So don't worry about your friends thinking it's weird. It's not at all. Quite normal.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 11th 2009, 09:49 AM

I was quite close with one of my teachers. I babysat his kids a couple of times, and his wife and my mam used to have coffee every so often. Me and my friends used to go to the same pub as him after school, so we'd often end up chatting in there too. The school knew about it and didn't care, so I guess that's not too far.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 11th 2009, 11:24 AM

i was really close to my tutor at my old school. he had been my tutor like 5 years and by the time i left at the end of year 11 it was pretty sad to leave :[

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 11th 2009, 11:35 AM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being friends with teachers. I've had a lot of teachers over the years who I would consider myself to be pretty friendly with. It's healthy, because you're more likely to work hard because you don't want to let them down. As long as you both know there are lines you can't cross, then it's all good. (:

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 12th 2009, 09:40 PM

There's nothing wrong with it, in university, some professors I talk to after class and it's not always about the lecture or the course, it may be just talking about their opinion on something in the news or about some other random topic. The limit I'd say is when it becomes sexual or becomes a point where you two are getting too emotionally involved (i.e. love). It's perfectly fine to have a teacher or professor take a role of friend or talking outside the classes or lectures. Sometimes if I see one of my professors either of a course I'm in now or was in a previous year, I may stop and have a chat with them about something random and I treat it as though they were any adult whom I want to talk with.

For example, my professor who is teaching a course that's pretty much intro. psychiatry has a Bachelor's in philosophy (among one of his many degrees) and his lectures are somewhat philosophical so sometimes we'll have a philosophical discussion just for the hell of it outside class.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 12th 2009, 10:12 PM

I don't see anything wrong with being friends with a teacher. I love a lot of my teachers. I've had friends get teachers gifts for birthdays and other holidays. Mrs. Jones used to teach at our school and coach field hockey. She's spent a lot of time outside of school with the girls, doing fun stuff like bowling and what not. She was a young teacher and she enjoyed spending time with us kids.

--A

(#14 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 22nd 2009, 06:38 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being friends with teachers, there are people in my school that spend their lunch in teacher's classrooms talking, debating etc.
Some teachers give pupils they're closer to their email address either when they leave or for them to email in their homework. As long as it's not too much further and doesn't get to the point that it's a tiny bit creepy, it's fine. As long as both pupil and teacher completely understand that it's just a casual friendship there shouldn't be a problem

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 22nd 2009, 07:19 PM

Enjoy the friendship, just always respect the boundary... Its not like you two are talking about weird things anyways

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
hidmemory Offline
Average Joe

Name: Hid

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 22nd 2009, 08:20 PM

I am SUPER close with my teacher. I know I can talk to her about all my problems, and she won't tell anyone, within reason of course, and we email each other all the time. She is kind of like my personal mentor, she is like a second mother to me. We never meet out of school or talk about her issues or comments on things. She is just a real good person for me to go to for advice and help.

I gots...

Huggles for yuz!!!
  Send a message via MSN to hidmemory  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 22nd 2009, 08:39 PM

I see nothing wrong with being that close to teachers as long as you respect them as authority figures. I think teachers who are able to be that close to students are the most popular teachers because they seem like real people and treat their students like human beings with lives. I wondered about it a lot when I started college though because at that point both professor and student are adults. It took me awhile to get used to them addressing me as an adult and they guide you more than they direct you so it's more of a relationship between equals.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
ILoveDimaBilan Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nina

Re: Student/Teacher Relationships. - October 23rd 2009, 10:16 PM

I Don't think its a bad thing at all I think its a good thing, I have a good relationship with my english teacher its almost like she's my school mother. =D ha-ha thats one way of phrasing it but it isn't weird at all!
I think it shows signs of becoming a mature person. You might have some friends from different age groups its good to mix your life up you get each others wisdom things like that its good its healthy and as long as it doesn't go to far as in Dating as your already aware off. Then I see no harm =D

Giant owl goes...
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
- Paul Meton
- HIGNFY

Go against the rules walk on your own not behind someone else!
- Dima Bilan

The Glass of life is never half empty it is always half full
- ME

Closed Thread