TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
razmataz5 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

psychology - October 15th 2009, 08:32 AM

this is pretty random and im not sure if this is the right place for it or not but im only a freshman in college so i have time, but im thinking of majoring in psychology because its really interesting to me. i also really like to help others.

the only thing is i am pretty messed up (self injury, eating disorder, drug use,depression, anxiety...etc.) im feeling pretty good now, i just dont know if it would be the best idea to become a therapist or whatever. I know that i can draw from things in my own life to help, however, it might be triggering for me, you know?

i dont know, what are your thoughts about someone with mental health issues working in the mental health field?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: psychology - October 15th 2009, 11:56 AM

I'm going to go ahead and move this to the School/Careers forum.

To add in my two cents, there is no "taboo" against someone in the mental health profession having their own struggles, everyone in the field has their own personal issues, whether they're severe or not. It's just a matter of whether or not you think you'll be able to help others. You may even find help with your struggles just by helping others, it can work out in all kinds of ways. Definitely don't rule it out as a major if it's something that peaks your interest.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: psychology - October 15th 2009, 03:17 PM

Hey there,

I am going to go into psychology as well. I also have had and still am dealing with some problems but, in my opinion I think these problems will better help me relate and the same might apply to you.

The thing is that it does take a while to actually complete school and the requirements to become a therapist so by the time you are done with school your problems should be better resolved. This does not mean they will just go away but you should be okay dealing with people who self harm or what not. And, if you are not you could always reevaluate what you want to do.

Also, like Steph said; dealing with people who are/have struggled with the same things as you might be a type of therapy in and of itself.

Best of luck,

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: psychology - October 15th 2009, 03:24 PM

Hey! Everyone in every career has struggles inside it. I myself have been considering a psychology major, because I wanna help people who are like me. I say go for it! I feel as if it won't really be triggering if you keep in your mind that you'll be helping people keep from making harmful decisions and such. Best of luck!

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: psychology - October 15th 2009, 03:41 PM

It's important to remember that once university's over you might have sorted your problems out. Also, it could give you an advantage because you'd be able to understand clients better if you've been through the same things as them.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magicalisland Offline
Human being
Junior TeenHelper

Name: E. Brill

Re: psychology - October 15th 2009, 04:28 PM

I am considering psychology as career option and I am "pretty messed up" too. My Mum says that she thinks it is a good idea for a psychologist to have had issues in the past as it means they have first hand experience of what a patient might be suffering. I think psychology is a good idea and I'm sure you'd make a great therapist.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: psychology - October 15th 2009, 05:29 PM

One of my professors (I'll graduate in December with a B.A. in Psychology) once said, "50% of people that go into psychology needing counseling, and another 50% leave needing counseling." It's a somewhat humorous statement, but in many ways I find it to be true. One thing about going into psychology is that you will likely learn techniques that you can use for yourself as well as others. If it interests you, I would say definitely give it a shot.

The simple fact is that EVERYONE has issues that they could benefit from counseling for, because we are all human. When I went into the major, I had what some might consider some process addictions. They weren't anything especially "major," that were debilitating, but they were still things I needed to work on. In fact, many of the best substance abuse counselors were in fact addicts themselves at one time.

Closed Thread