TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Des

Subject Ideas? - October 21st 2009, 02:13 AM

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys could help me think of a subject for my independent research study. I was thinking about doing something about drugs... But I'm not sure what as it has to be able to be elaborated upon and it has to be longer then 5 pages type deal. So any input is welcome. Some of my other ideas are... " The Demise of Sharks and what the means for humanity" " Juviniles being tried as adults" and " Rape: How society encourages this tragedy" Any other subjects are welcome ( doesnt have to be specifically about drugs)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 21st 2009, 07:28 AM

Perhaps you could choose a drug and do extensive research on it, how it affects someone physically, emotionally, etc. I think something like that could go very far and to me it'd be quite interesting.

What kind of things are you into like hobbies or interests?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 21st 2009, 08:49 AM

I like the last topic, mainly because I did a presentation on it before, and there isn't that much awareness on it. If you're aiming toward that route, you could go with child abuse, domestic violence, etc. Or drugs, maybe something on the usage of prescription drugs, or a drug you know a lot about. If there is something that really interests you, go with that.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 22nd 2009, 03:37 AM

When you say "independent research study", I'm assuming this isn't about doing an actual experiment but rather about writing a paper. When you write a paper, both in university and high-school, you want to ideally have it so that not only does it convey information to the reader but also that it's highly organized and has some overall point or argument. The topics you listed sound interesting, although from the title I'm not understanding what the argument could be for the shark one but the others are quite interesting.

If I were you, I'd pick a viewpoint, such as biological, social, psychological, etc... and then specify your viewpoint even further. All of your topics can be taken from numerous viewpoints and if you have one in mind, then you'll be better off both for the reader and so you can get research on your topic.

For all of the topics, you want to ideally get background knowledge. For example, for the rape one, you may first want to learn about some legal cases, battered woman syndrome, rape trauma syndrome, post-traumatic stress disorder, etc... . For the one on drugs, if you're planning to take a more biological view, then the drug class with the most information and research is the class of amphetamines, however, you should have a strong background in biology.

What may help you though is thinking what paper this class is for. If it's for say law, then you may want to take a legal aspect and discuss what some laws state about the topic, the outcomes of previous cases, the psychological and sociological impacts, etc... .

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 22nd 2009, 10:42 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. I talked to my teacher today, she told me it was a minimum of 15-20p.p. as well as a 40-75min oral presentation. I'm really leaning towards doing the Rape and Society one seeing as it's not something often talked about and is often considered taboo. I also already got an ok from her to do it on such a touchy subject. SO I know Your Nightmare said to choose one direction to come at the subject from, but with such a large paper (seeing as 20pp is the minimum) I'm wondering if I should touch all aspects surronding rape. The law, how society encourages it, the victim and psychological effects? Or should I just look at one aspect?

And as for background information, for the rape one, I've experienced this first hand so I think I could offer a unique point of view in this. I also know a lot about the after effects ect.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 23rd 2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictionByNature View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. I talked to my teacher today, she told me it was a minimum of 15-20p.p. as well as a 40-75min oral presentation. I'm really leaning towards doing the Rape and Society one seeing as it's not something often talked about and is often considered taboo. I also already got an ok from her to do it on such a touchy subject. SO I know Your Nightmare said to choose one direction to come at the subject from, but with such a large paper (seeing as 20pp is the minimum) I'm wondering if I should touch all aspects surronding rape. The law, how society encourages it, the victim and psychological effects? Or should I just look at one aspect?

And as for background information, for the rape one, I've experienced this first hand so I think I could offer a unique point of view in this. I also know a lot about the after effects ect.
I'm not sure if this is meant to be a scientific paper, although if it is, then I would avoid using your own personal experiences in it because scientific papers and presentations are meant to be as objective as possible. If your teacher allows you to use your own personal experiences, then by all means do so, however, also find appropriate research to back up your experiences. For example, if you experienced a certain symptom after the rape, then you can look up some research, find the symptoms and when you mention them in class, you can also give your own examples. So while it's great that you have knowledge on it already, don't only rely on your own subjective knowledge.

Since it's meant to be a rather large paper, I would consider it from multiple views although I would try to integrate them together. For example, if you're going to discuss it from a sociological view (among many other views), within the sociological view, you can take various views. For example, you can take a social constructionism view, a feminist view (which has several sub-sections to it), a functionalist view, etc... . For a psychological approach, you could discuss how other perceive a rape, such as discussing the various myths of rape (i.e. the victim was wearing revealing clothing so she was "asking for it"), the effects it has on childhood development, possibly the neurological views (although if you don't have much knowledge before hand this may be a rather hard view to take), etc... .

For the legal aspects, you have a few choices, you can do only the legal views and site cases, the law and such or you can combine it with psychology (i.e. forensic psychology) and discuss how jurors and judges may perceive the case, how the lawyers may focus on irrelevant issues (i.e. the victim's previous sexual promiscuity) and so forth.

So overall, I'd say yes, go for multiple views but do try to integrate them so it's not sudden leaps from one to another as to a reader and during your presentation, it's going to be very confusing and you're probably going to get low marks if you do that.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 23rd 2009, 02:58 AM

Thanks for all your help Your Nightmare.

It is not meant to be a scientific paper. It's a paper for our English class, she just told us to choose a subject that interests us, pass it by her and then go to town.

And I think I get what your saying, thanks again for all your help. I'll probably run it by my teacher as well to see what she says on how my paper should be divided. If I should touch all aspects of rape or as you say touch all aspects of one particular area of rape.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 23rd 2009, 08:55 AM

... what does pp mean? What kind of word count is that?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 23rd 2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
... what does pp mean? What kind of word count is that?
Errr.... I'm not sure what it would be in english... Didn't even notice that I had put that in there. It's a french thing, means "plusieurs pages" lol. It's not a word count it's a page count. We very rarely go by words at my school... Normally pages.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 24th 2009, 06:43 AM

Des, speaking from the experience of having done a presentation on rape before, it can be difficult if you have experienced yourself, so if you do use your own story, make sure you are ready to do so. Although, as it is an English paper, including stories of rape, how the law/social circles reacted, etc, would be a really good approach. For an English paper, you might want to get opinions on rape from other people, see what they think about it, etc.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Subject Ideas? - October 24th 2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks Casey. I wasn't planning on saying that I had experienced it, I was just going to use what I know to add to the presentation ect. So I wouldn't be speaking in "I". And thanks for the other suggestions!... How did your presentation go? How was it received?

Closed Thread