TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ashiee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley

Mother and College - October 23rd 2009, 01:09 AM

First off I want to say Hi everyone I'm Ashley and I just created this account, I hope to get to know and make friends and also help out. Well this is my Senior year of high school and I should be excited about graduating. But when it comes to my mom and college we agree to disagree. Well I want to go to CalU for elementary education, but I also want to study the art of photography. Thats where the problems start my mother doesnt support anything that has to do with photography, she thinks that it is a waste of time and that there is no money in that profession. But when I try to tell her that she is wrong and that there is money involved she argues with me, but when we talk about teaching everything is okay. So I really don't know what to do about it.. She just really makes me upset sometimes. What do you think I should do??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Mother and College - October 23rd 2009, 01:14 AM

Hi Ashley, welcome. I think the first thing you should do is try not to tell your mom she's flat out wrong, when someone hears that they immediately get defensive. Explain your points to her respectfully, I think she'll be more receptive that way. Also, there's no reason you can't study education and take classes in photography. It's perfectly fine to explore you're interests.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Mother and College - October 23rd 2009, 01:21 AM

Couldn't you major in education and minor in photography? That way you get both AND you get your mother off your back. Regardless, you should do what you want to do and not worry about what your mother says.. it's YOUR future, not hers.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ashiee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley

Re: Mother and College - October 23rd 2009, 01:34 AM

Thats what I was going to do but my mom said that she wouldn't help pay for school and I understand that there are student loans, grants, etc. but I still wouldn't be able to do it on my own.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Mother and College - October 23rd 2009, 02:34 AM

You could do it on your own. I didn't think I could do it on my own but I found a way to. You don't have to pay your loans off until after you graduate. You also don't have to necessarily tell your mom that you are minoring in photography. She can't see any of your records since you're 18 so you don't have to tell her.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Mother and College - October 23rd 2009, 05:23 AM

Why not just take a basic course in photography, education courses and some other courses? There's no need nor purpose in declaring your majors or minors in first-year. You don't have to tell her you're taking the course in photography and if you like it a lot, then take it and see how much you really like it.

There is money in photography, however, you generally have to be fairly good in it as there isn't a very high demand for it. That's not to say that you cannot make a decent living as a photographer as you can so I wouldn't tell your mother she's wrong because it's not going to go anywhere. She has whatever her reasons are and you have yours, and you're probably not going to resolve the issue unless you sit down and have a civil discussion without telling her she's wrong.

Closed Thread