TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dragonmaster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I'm feeling anxious - October 23rd 2009, 11:45 PM

I apologize for posting this, but I kind of need some help. I'm feeling really anxious right now, for tomorrow I have to take the ACT. I don't know why, I'm experiencing this and as a result, I kind of feel a shame of myself.

I'm a hard worker who studied endlessly for this exam. Through my revisions, I got significantly better, but those are only practice tests and thus, is not the real thing. What if I do bad?! I already bombed the SAT. I can't bare the prospect of failing once more.

I know this might be taking up space here, but I'm really freaking out here. So can someone please help me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 24th 2009, 12:43 PM

Hey there! =]

No need to apologize for posting! We're here to help, so never hesitate to reach out and ask us for some advice, all right?
You've done your study, you've worked hard, it'll pay off in the end, honestly. One you're finished the exam, try to put it out of your mind, whatever happens, happens.
I hope it goes (or went, depending on when you read this) well for you. Don't stress about the results, I'm sure you'll do fine. And if it goes wrong for you, it's not the end of the world.

And I'm going to move this over to School And Careers. =]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 24th 2009, 02:55 PM

Also keep in mind, you can take the tests again. I took each test twice and even with minimal studying, my scores was MUCH higher the second time.

A big portion of ACT/SAT is the testing situation and format. Once you see what it's like, how the test operates, you're prepared. I highly recommend taking them again if you don't like your scores. If money is an issue, you can apply to have the testing fees waived.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dragonmaster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 25th 2009, 02:59 PM

But its not as easy as that. I already know that I did bad, since I felt like crap during the test. It seems like everything that I want to reach for is so unattainable. Ever since I botched the SAT, I feel so guilty, so defeated.

I probably failed the ACT as well and as a result, my life is over. I've clinged onto the rope of hope for so long and as a result, I feel myself slipping.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 25th 2009, 03:10 PM

It really IS that easy. I bombed the SAT/ACT twice before I finally got a half decent score that was worth taking. Most people don't do so well the first time around.

You can bounce back from each of these, it's all a matter of finding out where you struggled, etc.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dragonmaster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 25th 2009, 06:50 PM

But you don't understand, I will be screwed if I do bad for I'm in my Senior year of High School and thus, I need a good school to supplement my grades. But now that I think about it, I should probably give up on going to college seeing as I can't attain my goals or dreams.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 25th 2009, 07:07 PM

I retook my tests in my Senior year. Colleges can allow you to send you scores later/at another time if you're retaking the test.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Dragonmaster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 25th 2009, 07:41 PM

But here's the thing, I have no time for, if I wait until I take it again, I'll miss all the key deadlines for the applications. I'll be behind and thus, will stand a far less chance of getting in. I'm starting to feel like this is all getting hopeless.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 25th 2009, 10:10 PM

Hey. Deep breaths for a second. [:

Rejoice, it's over! There's nothing you can do about it at this point. You don't need to go and hardcore dwell on it NOW. Wait until you get your results, then you can take the next step. And yes, if you want to do well on this, you need to make time to take the test again - the colleges will sometimes even make time for you to retake these. It takes about 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon to do it. I took the PSAT, then the SAT twice, and qualified for National Merit my second time around and got a full ride to the college I'm currently attending. Free. To a $27,000-a-year college. It IS worth it and you WILL make time to take it if you're concerned! Not only that (since I know that's predominantly not the "I don't have the time" you were referring to"), but there are colleges that will accept late applications and everything else. If you've applied for something, and it's still pending and in consideration, and you make a higher score, you can send your higher score and they will put it with the file on you they've already made. Colleges WANT you to do well so that they can give you scholarships so that you'll go to their school! I'm very serious. [: Steph and I say what we say not out of spite, but because we've already done this, and we know a little bit about how it works.

Don't give up. Some colleges don't even weight these tests that heavily. If you have a good GPA and good extra-curricular involvement, some colleges will think you're good to go! [: And if they don't, you need to have back-up options. Talk to your college counselor at school. It REALLY helps! [:

Last edited by Katrina; October 25th 2009 at 10:16 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Dragonmaster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm feeling anxious - October 26th 2009, 01:30 AM

I understand what you're saying, but this situation is ultimately much worse for me. If I have to retake the ACT's and the next time they administer the test is next year, I'm totally screwed!

By that point, I should have my applications submitted and even if they wait, colleges like a lot of people only have some much patience. Let's face it, I'm screwed!

Closed Thread