TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
adia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Failing A Class - January 7th 2009, 01:27 AM

Hey, I'm currently borderline in my cal class, and I can't help but to feel as if it's the end of my life. I know I'm overreacting, I know that, but I can't help how I feel. I guess I just need someone to tell me it's going to be alright.
I used to be a math whiz my entire life until calculus. Not only is it stressing me out, but my gpa is being hurt badly. I also haven't told my mother, which adds another burden. I want to study electrical engineering at a good university, but will I get into a good school if I fail this class?
Another thing is I have no idea how I'm failing. I take the VERY BEST notes in class, do well on my homework, but do terrible with tests and quizzes. Is there anything I can do to change this? Any advice or comfort is very much appreciated.

-adia

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: TK

January 7th 2009, 02:56 AM

I'm not sure how your semesters work. So I don't know how long you have to change your grade. My guess would be the tests and quizzes you don't do well on make up the majority of your grade. If you're failing to class and don't know why you should really discuss it with your teacher. Find out what you're doing wrong and maybe he/she can help you do better. A teacher may also be able to give you extra credit or tell you what kind of grade you have to get on the remaining assignments to keep yourself from failing the class.

Just breathe and look at all your options before you freak out and decide that there is NO WAY to keep yourself from failing a class. I was extremely close to failing physics my senior year and somehow managed to pull off a D+. Not great but better than I thought I'd do.

Now if you simply don't have enough time to make up for the rest of the semester... you still don't have to freak out. First of all cut yourself some slack. Calculus is NOT in easy course. I can't tell you how many science majors I know who didn't take Calc until college. So the fact that you're even qualified to take it in high school, is pretty impressive. So give yourself some credit.

Also keep in mind that you can make this class up. Talk to your schools guidance department and/or your teacher. See if you can withdraw from the class. You won't get credit for the course but it also won't be displayed on your record as a failing grade, although colleges will probably be informed that your withdrew. You can retake the class in the summer (seriously not as bad as it sounds I promise). I'm sure you'll do better the second time around. Since learning from this class you can take away new found knowledge about calculus and you can get help earlier if you start to struggle.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

January 7th 2009, 03:52 AM

You need to talk to your Professor. Students doing well in class/homework but struggling on tests and quizzes is nothing out of the norm. If you talk with your Professor, you may be able to do things here and there to help your grade. For most classes tests/quizzes make up the bulk of the grade.

If you don't pass the class, it isn't the end of the world. You can retake it, get a tutor, find a better professor, etc. You will still be able to continue on with Engineering as a possibility.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Failing A Class - January 7th 2009, 07:22 PM

Well, the main reason why Calc really bites you in the butt is that, from my understanding, it's a compilation of EVERYthing. So, pretty much, one missing peg and the entire tower falls apart.
But listen here - one class will not hold you back from any long-term goals. Like Steph said, there's always alternate ways to conquer things.
But let's not go there - you've got time! Pull all of your resources together and take this head on.
Best of luck. x

=P

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Failing A Class - January 9th 2009, 09:42 AM

Talk to the teacher and see what they recommend about your tests/quizzes. Then, talk to your parents about it also. There's 2 burdens off your back regardless of what they say. It's 1 course, it's not a huge deal. If you do well in all your other courses for your other years, the course isn't going to kill your GPA.

I'm assuming it's the stress associated with the tests/quizzes that make the marks plummet. Start off by doing the homework under test conditions by timing yourself. Then do the previous tests you got back under the same way. Later, shorten the time allotted. The idea of this is to simulate doing the questions under test conditions so the stress goes away.

For me, only for subjects I'm very poor in I get stressed out, however, this stress is only in the first 5 minutes when I look through the test, then it goes away. Before the test I'm not stressed. One reason is I simply don't care how I do. It's 1 test. Suppose I do fail it and drive the mark down. It's only 1 course and although that'd look pretty lousy on a university transcript, if it's only 1 course and all the rest are a lot higher, who cares? Nobody in their right mind would not accept you somewhere because you failed some random course.

Why not do calculus in the summer? Do your best, try various methods of studying and test-taking so you may get a higher mark but if it's too low, try it in the summer. No shame in that.

Closed Thread