TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Choosing a college... - November 7th 2009, 07:31 AM

I'm so confused right now, I don't even know where to begin.

My decision right now is between two schools; Purdue University (IN) or Western Carolina University (NC).

Purdue...it's my dream school. It has an excellent psychology program, a brilliant theater. I plan to double major in Clinical Psychology and Technical Theatre, so these things are very important to me. It has a great on-campus psychology center, with crisis assistance and everything. It is competitive and a well-accredited institution. However, it is also about six hours away from home, and very expensive.

WCU is where I always thought I would go. It is about an hour away from home, affordable. It has a decent psychology program and a great theater. My best friend goes there, and we would (most likely) be room mates. I would be able to continue seeing my current psychologist and psychiatrist, albeit less often. However, I cannot obtain my master's degree there, so I would have to transfer later...and I've been told that the psychology program is subpar (by one of WCU's graduate psych student).

My mom doesn't think I'd be able to handle Purdue due to homesickness. To be honest, I'm not sure if I could, either. Being so far away from home will be very hard on me, not to mention that I don't know if I can even afford it. I'm also afraid that I may have an underlying desire to go to Purdue because my boyfriend is going there...and I know that would be stupid, because we'll probably break up before I even get there.

Western is a good school. It's just...not great. It doesn't meet my over-acheiver expectations. But it's more practical.

I don't even know how to go about choosing. I haven't finished applying to either school yet, so I don't even know if I'll get in. But I still feel pressured to make a decision soon.

Any advice?

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing a college... - November 7th 2009, 07:53 AM

Why not apply to both and any others you may want? If I were you, I'd apply to others also simply as back-ups but try to see others that you may also like. When I applied to universities a few years ago, I applied to the ones I wanted badly, to ones I could be content at and to ones that were merely back-ups. In cases like this, it's good to have back-ups, preferably ones that you like because if you are unable to get into the two you mentioned but did get into some other one, you could transfer. The transfering does have its own issues though other than financial.

Right now though, your focus should be on getting a high enough mark so you can get into the ones you may want and can use the universities as an incentive.

As for the credibility and reputation, it doesn't matter that much if you're planning to get a Master's degree and possibly a PhD, PsyD, etc... . If both places are decent enough, then it's not going to be a big issue over where you got your Bachelor's degree from assuming neither place is a complete slum. You mentioned that the less expensive one has a sub-par psychology program but why not experience it for yourself or do more research as to what the majority of people think and why because it would be a shame to not go to it simply from one student's opinion. If the majority does think it is sub-par, then why not apply to other places also that may have better psychology and theater programs?

Closed Thread