TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Writing a letter to admission offices about low marks - November 8th 2009, 11:51 PM

I am currently taking the year off and I want to apply to university for next year. Even though I had always been a good student (finishing with a 85% average in gr 11), in my senior year, I had a lot of stuff going on outside of school and this affected my marks, ending up with 72% average. When I applied in gr 12, I was accepted to two universities in maths and sciences. (I think I got early acceptance from my gr 11 marks). However, now I want to take humanities in the same schools I applied and they tell me that I will probably not get in with the 72%. They said it'd tougher on me since I'm taking the year off, the universities would expect me to upgrade my marks, which is understandable.

Now, I'm faced with a really hard choice. I could go back to adult school and upgrade my marks but I will be doing a government-based program this year and I won't be able to go back to school. I could refuse this offer but the program is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity... and if I do the program, I would have to upgrade afterwards, which means that I'd be 20 by the time I enter university!

They also told me that I could try and send a letter to the admission offices explaining my situation but it's not guaranteed that I could get in. But I do want to try. Has anybody done this? What specific things should I write in my letter?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I am so depressed...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Writing a letter to admission offices about low marks - November 9th 2009, 12:20 AM

i thought you are meant to give any explanations as to why your grades have dropped when you originally apply? but anyhow.. it can't hurt to write to them now. just explain your circumstances and include any doctors notes or whatever other proof you can come up with. it's terrible, but a lot of people exaggerate or lie about their circumstances to try and get a place and what not.. so if you have proof then that's all the better. and perhaps the letter could come from your school and not from you?.. just an idea.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread