TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MillyVsAmelia Offline
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amelia

EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 10:53 AM

Basically for those that don't know what it is, EMA is a scheme where we can get payed 30 pounds a week for staying on after school. They advertise it like everyone gets it and I was really looking foward to having a bit of money in my pocket. When I applied they said I didn't cover the requirements because my parents earn too much, but they don't, it all goes on the mortgage and I don't get any of it. It means I cant catch busses, I have no money for food when I'm out or anything. Most of my friends are getting it so I have to watch them spend it all every week. I just don't think its fair that some people get it and some don't. The system is stupid and it makes me really angry! I'm struggling to get to sixth form in the first place and I'm having no luck in getting a job. I just think the system needs to change! Everyone or no one!
Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks its pathetic.
Milly xx

We gotta fight
fight
fight for this love

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillyVsAmelia View Post
Basically for those that don't know what it is, EMA is a scheme where we can get payed 30 pounds a week for staying on after school. They advertise it like everyone gets it and I was really looking foward to having a bit of money in my pocket. When I applied they said I didn't cover the requirements because my parents earn too much, but they don't, it all goes on the mortgage and I don't get any of it. It means I cant catch busses, I have no money for food when I'm out or anything. Most of my friends are getting it so I have to watch them spend it all every week. I just don't think its fair that some people get it and some don't. The system is stupid and it makes me really angry! I'm struggling to get to sixth form in the first place and I'm having no luck in getting a job. I just think the system needs to change! Everyone or no one!
Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks its pathetic.
Milly xx
I finished school nowm, but I did go to college and know about it. I couldnt get a penny despite my dad being out of work, and only my mum working..
My friend, his dad works in the government and is a businessman, his mum doesnt work, but she gets loads of benefits because she cant work. He gets the full £30.

My other friend, his mum and dad split up, his mum works, but its one normal wage coming in like mine..and he only gets £10 a week! What a joke!
Due to this, I had to leave college as I just didnt have enough money to get there as it cost £40 a month alone on bus money..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MillyVsAmelia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 11:11 AM

Yeah, tis really pathetic, if i cant get a part time job I'm gaing to have to leave too, its really rediculous. My friend is on benifits and she gets it all! Its stupid. I'd be better off if we were poor and that shouldn't make sense xx

We gotta fight
fight
fight for this love

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 11:49 AM

urgh, don't even get me started on EMA. as far as i know it's worked out on the income of the parent[s] that you live with. so some people who's parents are divorced get EMA when they are actually very well off because the parent they live with isn't earning much.

i'm not eligible for EMA and i do get a lot of money from my parents so it doesn't really bother me.. but i have plenty of friends who are in a similar situation to you. the whole system seems quite ridiculous.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 02:43 PM

It's unfair but there is some logic in the system. it's all under review at the moment anyway so you should see changes in the next 18 months or so

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 02:59 PM

and apparently if the conservatives get into power EMA is going to be scrapped completely.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 03:58 PM

I knew someone at school who got a full £30 a week, but that was because he lived with his mum. His dad who he lived with owned a company and bought him a £14,000 new car the day he turned 17... Unfair much? For me EMA was a lifesaver, the problem with it is is the amount of people who have a go at you for getting it. For me however it was greatly needed!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 04:49 PM

Systems like this do suck, but they have to have a cutoff somewhere, and it just so happens you don't meet it. I never had EMA, and I didn't get much money at all from my parents, so I had to get a part time job. They're not that bad, but remember, getting a part time job will be paying for luxuries, like eating out, and meeting people. They're not necessities, and not worth giving up your education for.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 7th 2009, 05:13 PM

I agree 100%. It is a very unfair system and a lot of teachers I know agree.

My parents earn just over the limit but are paying for my brothers 2nd Uni Degree and still paying off his first. Anything left goes on bills. They can't give me £30 a week.

I wouldn't even mind if I got the lower band of £10 a week, it would at least pay my bus fare.

I go to school during my free lessons to do extra work while most people in my school who get EMA barely turn up to the lessons they are meant to go to. Most of them just forge the teachers signatures.
I know of others who say they live with their grandparents just to get it when they really don't.

I now have a part time job but it is only temporary. All the money I am earning is being spent on bus fare to get me to and from school, text books and school equipment. Anything I have left gets saved.
I am going to need money saved in case I get interviews for Uni and have to travel there.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 8th 2009, 03:13 PM

Yes, EMA is unfair. Its never going to suit anybody though, no system is. It is unjust for those who do work hard and could really do with the extra support.

There's not really point complaining about it though, its been that way for years.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

December 8th 2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post
and apparently if the conservatives get into power EMA is going to be scrapped completely.
Yeah

Which isn't a great idea either to be honest, the system just needs overhauling (which is being done)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post
I agree 100%. It is a very unfair system and a lot of teachers I know agree.

My parents earn just over the limit but are paying for my brothers 2nd Uni Degree and still paying off his first. Anything left goes on bills. They can't give me £30 a week.

I wouldn't even mind if I got the lower band of £10 a week, it would at least pay my bus fare.

I go to school during my free lessons to do extra work while most people in my school who get EMA barely turn up to the lessons they are meant to go to. Most of them just forge the teachers signatures.
I know of others who say they live with their grandparents just to get it when they really don't.

I now have a part time job but it is only temporary. All the money I am earning is being spent on bus fare to get me to and from school, text books and school equipment. Anything I have left gets saved.
I am going to need money saved in case I get interviews for Uni and have to travel there.
Do you go to a college?
If you go to a college then they will have a learning support fund that you can apply to for help getting to and from interviews. I was worried how I was going to afford to get to some of mine but the learning support fund people will give me the money

Last edited by Gaia; December 8th 2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: merging double post.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 8th 2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Do you go to a college?
If you go to a college then they will have a learning support fund that you can apply to for help getting to and from interviews. I was worried how I was going to afford to get to some of mine but the learning support fund people will give me the money
No, I go to a 6th form which is part of the high school I went to.
They don't have anything like that set up, they barely have enough funding for text books. We had to buy all my own for AS and A2. So I doubt they would be able to afford the travel for everyone going to interviews.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 8th 2009, 08:26 PM

I do agree it's highly unfair for many, especially for people just over the limit, that must be a right piss-take! I get the full £30 a week, and i absolutely HATE the amount of slack i get for it off of my classmates. It's not my fault that my dad has a million mental and physical problems and therefore can't get steady work, and that no one will hire my mum because she's not as young as she used to be. I would rather work than get money off the lousy government but i have health problems as well so atm a job is out of the question.

*endrant*. I'm just a bit annoyed that people seem to generalise that people who get the £30 a week must be cheating the system, of some sort. In many cases, it is highly needed but yes there are people abusing the system and it should be the government's priority to sort that out. Unfortunately the government take their damn time!

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#14 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 8th 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
some people who's parents are divorced get EMA when they are actually very well off because the parent they live with isn't earning much.

Thats me! Used to get £20/week. Ditto I get more student loan than I 'should' because I don't live with my dad. To be fair its not like he gives me money all the time... I wouldn't say we're VERY well off. When I brought this up with some of my friends they were like 'hey its compensation for the fact your dads an arse' :P

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MillyVsAmelia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittermist View Post
I do agree it's highly unfair for many, especially for people just over the limit, that must be a right piss-take! I get the full £30 a week, and i absolutely HATE the amount of slack i get for it off of my classmates. It's not my fault that my dad has a million mental and physical problems and therefore can't get steady work, and that no one will hire my mum because she's not as young as she used to be. I would rather work than get money off the lousy government but i have health problems as well so atm a job is out of the question.

*endrant*. I'm just a bit annoyed that people seem to generalise that people who get the £30 a week must be cheating the system, of some sort. In many cases, it is highly needed but yes there are people abusing the system and it should be the government's priority to sort that out. Unfortunately the government take their damn time!
Yeah, this is what I mean, they should look at the people that are using it properly and not abusing it. It sounds like you deserve it because you put it to good use, whereas some of my friends spend it on fags, booze and just crap that they can get. I think they should look at the people that work hard or have trouble getting to college. I work my socks off all the time and someone I know doesn't even try. They should look at teacher reviews and stuff to get a more acurate list of people that truely deserve it.

We gotta fight
fight
fight for this love

(#16 (permalink)) Old
xLadyGagaLoverx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 08:14 AM

Its so unfair. Labour bought it in for families to encourage more people to stay in further education... how is 30 pouinds a week gonna achieve that? Its meant to be for busfairs and books etc but tbh no-one spends it on that... i have to watch everyone spend it on clothes and shizz. Its so unfair. To maike it worse my parents dont goive me money apart from £3 a week for food as they believe in earning money so i have to work my ass of at my paper round when i still get less a week than EMA. If people do need support from school then they shouldnt be given £30 a week, they should be given a free bus pass anywhere local and a fiver. That would be a much better system. Anyone agree?

(#17 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 01:26 PM

For me the £30 a week is not what gets me although £30 extra a week would really help me out with paying for some of the travel that I have to cover off my own back, it's more the bonuses that can be obtained.
There are 2 £100 bonuses in a year and as long as you have achieved so much attendance and are punctual (or something along those lines you get those bonuses). These bonuses come at Christmas time and Easter time, it would be very handy to have that money.
So for the last 2 years I've struggled, I may of stayed in sixth form if I was recieving EMA because part of the reason I left was the lack of money.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 06:30 PM

I agree with what's been said. I wont be able to get EMA even though only my Mum works. I also live miles away from the college - meaning expensive bus fares - where we are EMA counts towards travel fares too?

It's just another unjust system. I feel sorry for those that are worse off than me - of course I do - but sometimes I feel that they are entitled to more than me out of sympathy, if that makes sense ( the divorced parent scenario)

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 07:04 PM

The entire system is pretty unfair, but doesn't it depend on the annual income for the family? For instance, some people, (like myself) have literally no income besides benefits which is actually the reason you get EMA to begin with... and then there's people with little but still enough and one parent working. Fair enough, more people should get it but it's completely out of the question to suggest that people who get it don't need it or it shouldn't be there, etc etc. I understand no-one suggests all of this.

I do feel as though it's unjust, but people really need to be more understanding to those of us who would be lost without it. I understand that people who get it waste it, and I understand that the group I tend to be put in is full of a lot of people who drop out and don't really deserve it. Just don't automatically expect us all to be like that.

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 08:04 PM

Ok, so you know the whole reason isn't for it to be spent on books? It's generally an insentive.

I don't think it's fair either but getting rid of it completely isn't a good idea either

Maybe some kind of reward for those who work hard (recommendations from the teachers?) and do well being made each term to students at state schools regardless of home income?
And instead of that those that genuinely struggle to pay for busfair etc, have more money avaliable for those type of people

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 08:17 PM

I understand that for a lot of people EMA is a total god send and I agree that it shouldn't be given to people that don't need it.

What about the people who are just over the limit and barely earn enough to pay for travel and books but still don't get EMA?

Once my parents have paid all the bills we have we don't have much. I think they should look at income after basic bills like water, electric and gas. I also think they should take other siblings into account because you could earn over the limit but have 7 children to feed and clothe. Also my parents are currently paying for my brother 2nd degree and are still in debt from paying for his first degree.

One person I know who gets EMA also gets all of their bills paid by the council including their rent so their household income probably works out more than mine because even though both my parents work they pay the bills too. This is the part I think is unfair.

We scrape by with what we have but I would be happy with the 2 £100 bonuses

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 08:22 PM

For the people who have to travel miles to get to college or 6th form why not apply for a buss pass/ buss discount card? =/

And EMA may be unfair, but then so are most things in life?

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
For the people who have to travel miles to get to college or 6th form why not apply for a buss pass/ buss discount card? =/
I have applied for a bus pass but I got rejected because my school is under a different council and the council where I live said they won't pay for me to travel to a school in another district. The council where I go to school won't pay for it either because I don't live in there district.

The have both also said I think within walking distance of my school and the map they provided had me taking every little short cut down every scary and dangerous alleyway on the way.

I have tried every possible way of getting some financial help during my time in school and college, so far all I have is my NUS discount card. 1 bus company does a student discount deal where I live but that bus comes once an hour, if I get it I can if not then I have to pay full price on a different bus.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

I have applied for a bus pass but I got rejected because my school is under a different council and the council where I live said they won't pay for me to travel to a school in another district. The council where I go to school won't pay for it either because I don't live in there district.

The have both also said I think within walking distance of my school and the map they provided had me taking every little short cut down every scary and dangerous alleyway on the way.

I have tried every possible way of getting some financial help during my time in school and college, so far all I have is my NUS discount card. 1 bus company does a student discount deal where I live but that bus comes once an hour, if I get it I can if not then I have to pay full price on a different bus.

But if you want to catch that bus then you should make sure you're there in time to catch it, or you've just got yourself to blame. And walking isn't the only other option, why not cycle there?

Sorry, but in my opinion a lot of people who don't get EMA drastically exaggerate money problems, they're not willing to help themselves at all. I mean yeah sure books and thing are generally expensive, but most schools will have spare books they can lend to pupils? And provide paper I'm sure. And people CAN walk and cycle to sixth form or college a lot of the time, the bus isn't a necessity for a LOT of people.

The annoying thing is sixth form and college or about building independence and maturing, people whining about not getting EMA when they don't need it really need to help themselves. And people receiving EMA who don't pull their weight around should be kicked of the course and have their EMA taken off them.

And I know that some people who don't receive EMA could really benefit from it, a lot of them don't need it and need to stop complaining.
'Where there's a will there's a way'

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
But if you want to catch that bus then you should make sure you're there in time to catch it, or you've just got yourself to blame. And walking isn't the only other option, why not cycle there?

Sorry, but in my opinion a lot of people who don't get EMA drastically exaggerate money problems, they're not willing to help themselves at all. I mean yeah sure books and thing are generally expensive, but most schools will have spare books they can lend to pupils? And provide paper I'm sure. And people CAN walk and cycle to sixth form or college a lot of the time, the bus isn't a necessity for a LOT of people.

The annoying thing is sixth form and college or about building independence and maturing, people whining about not getting EMA when they don't need it really need to help themselves. And people receiving EMA who don't pull their weight around should be kicked of the course and have their EMA taken off them.

And I know that some people who don't receive EMA could really benefit from it, a lot of them don't need it and need to stop complaining.
'Where there's a will there's a way'
I think a lot of that was really unnecessary. You don't know my situation at all. I am not over exaggerating and I am not just complaining for the sake of it.
I have spent the whole of my time in 6th form applying for jobs to get extra cash. I have one now but it is only temporary until the first week of January, so you can't say I don't have independence.

You can't judge and generalise me based on the posts in this thread. I have reasons to back up most of your points in this post about why I don't cycle or why I don't always get that bus on time but I don't see the point arguing with your so you can judge my family's financial situation.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:

I think a lot of that was really unnecessary. You don't know my situation at all. I am not over exaggerating and I am not just complaining for the sake of it.
I have spent the whole of my time in 6th form applying for jobs to get extra cash. I have one now but it is only temporary until the first week of January, so you can't say I don't have independence.

You can't judge and generalise me based on the posts in this thread. I have reasons to back up most of your points in this post about why I don't cycle or why I don't always get that bus on time but I don't see the point arguing with your so you can judge my family's financial situation.
I'm sorry if you thought my comment was directed at you, it wasn't, it was aimed at teenagers in general. Only the first paragraph was directed towards you. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, I thought it was, I apologise.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if you thought my comment was directed at you, it wasn't, it was aimed at teenagers in general. Only the first paragraph was directed towards you. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, I thought it was, I apologise.
It's ok, sorry for getting so angry.
In that case I will answer the question that was aimed at me.
I don't cycle because I don't have bike. I have had 2 in the last 5 years and they have all been stolen. My parents one buy my a new one because they think it will just get stolen again.
My school also has no where to store bikes and it is in a rough area and would get stolen. (one year 7 cycled and chained his bike to a fence, it was then stolen and he had no way to get home.)

Also since that bus only comes once an hour sometime it is not practical for me to get it depending on what lessons I have. Some days I have to get the bus at 12.30 so that bus is too early/late. Also I finish school at 3 but by the time I get out and get to the bus stop I have missed it.

At the moment things are crap but I am just trying to get through it and get to uni. There I get my fees paid by the NHS and get a bursary from them. I will also get my student loan, that is still means tested but I know I will get something.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Rosemma Offline
PullMe IntoYour PerfectCircle.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Rosemma

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 15th 2009, 11:07 PM

I just wanted to add that I agree!
Ive never said it to anyone before because I thought I was the only one who thought it was unfair.

Im not at college anymore but when I was I hated it to because I was in the same situation as Milly.

The worst part is everyone I knew spent it on games and weed
I would have spent it on things I actually needed!

(#29 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 16th 2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:

And EMA may be unfair, but then so are most things in life?
lol you really think this makes any difference?

I pay close to £100 a month on bus fair. Welcome to the real world.

Oh. And if you're going to say walk - it takes me 2 hours 45 minutes. One way.
I know because I have had to do it in order to save money before.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 17th 2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
lol you really think this makes any difference?

I pay close to £100 a month on bus fair. Welcome to the real world.

Oh. And if you're going to say walk - it takes me 2 hours 45 minutes. One way.
I know because I have had to do it in order to save money before.
So you've applied for a bus pass? which is what I was trying to get through, then fact you pay near £100 a month on the bus is irrelevant if you've not even applied for one tbh.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 19th 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
So you've applied for a bus pass? which is what I was trying to get through, then fact you pay near £100 a month on the bus is irrelevant if you've not even applied for one tbh.
Right yeah bus pass didn't think of that! ...

I'm not elidgable for one.

PS I'm from notts too!

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 20th 2009, 01:09 PM

well im not from the UK so idk what that is. but it does seem unfair. but thats governments for you. they dont care about people. as long as they look like they care everyone doesnt notice and wont do anything, i suggest stand up against it. and start a protest on it. write your government officials. once there are enough people doing something it will make them look bad and they may change stuff around a little bit.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 23rd 2009, 06:48 PM

what annoys me is the people who spend all their EMA money on subway or dominos every day rather than what they actually need.. then they complain they have no money left.

i would not be in favour of scrapping EMA completely, because for the people who really need it, it is obviously crucial that they can get some sort of financial support.. it's just more weeding out of people trying to play the system is necessary.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - December 23rd 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
My sister is 18 and goes to college and gets £30 a week for EMA. I don't really know if the system is different for different areas, although it shouldn't be, but if she has any unauthorised absences then she won't recieve EMA for that week so she can only stay off her college course if there is a legitimate reason e.g illness etc. I think it's a good way of doing things and means people who get it at least have to be serious about their courses.

I know some people use the money for random things like clothes which is a bit annoying when some people who need it to get to college can't get it. My sister uses hers to buy all her books and paper and bus fair, which costs actually a lot even though she buys a yearly pass. That pass though costs about £200! So yeah, some people do use them properly its just a shame about the ones who abuse the system

PM // VM

(#35 (permalink)) Old
I-cant-see Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Charlie

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - January 5th 2010, 09:49 PM

I get EMA, and I need it - Ive not spent a penny of it, because at the end of the day Im going to need every penny I can save for Uni.
Yes some people do just waste it, but thats what its for. I mean, the familys who cant give up £30 a week tend to have children who get jobs like working in shops, cleaning etc as soon as they leave school, and the money ecourages the student to stay in education.
This may sound harsh to some of you - but if you family earn enough i doubt you go without. So stop complaining - accept that its there for a reason and be grateful of what you do have.
Sorry for the rant.

"Small minds discuss persons. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas. Really great minds discuss MATHEMATICS."

Tell yourself time and time again that it's okay, it is.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - January 5th 2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-cant-see View Post
I get EMA, and I need it - Ive not spent a penny of it, because at the end of the day Im going to need every penny I can save for Uni.
Yes some people do just waste it, but thats what its for. I mean, the familys who cant give up £30 a week tend to have children who get jobs like working in shops, cleaning etc as soon as they leave school, and the money ecourages the student to stay in education.
This may sound harsh to some of you - but if you family earn enough i doubt you go without. So stop complaining - accept that its there for a reason and be grateful of what you do have.
Sorry for the rant.
i have no problem with people who have a genuine case for getting EMA having it.. the only people i complain about are the people who play the system and don't actually need the money at all. one of my friends has a £500 a month clothing allowance from her dad yet because her parents are divorced and she lives with her mum who doesn't work she gets full whack EMA.. it's just ridiculous that people like this get it. i don't have a problem with the idea of EMA, it's just it needs to be better regulated and the people who play the system need to be weeded out so the money can go to the people who deserve it.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - January 5th 2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the rant.
My parent give me £20 a month if they can afford to that month. They cannot afford to give me £30 a week, I have had to pay for all of my text books myself too because they can't afford them.
Just because we are over the boundary doesn't mean we are rich. We are over the boundary by around about £200 and we have to pay bills just like everyone else and my brother is in Uni and I have applied this year so that is a big expense for my parents to deal with.

I always hear people who get EMA complaining that they get unfairly stereotyped as not deserving it. So how can you can unfairly stereotype people over the boundary as rich.

I think they should base EMA on the income after bills have been paid. I think they should also take what benefits parents get into account too.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
I-cant-see Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - January 5th 2010, 10:28 PM

Rachel, Im not stereotyping as rich, Im also not saying you shouldnt get EMA. What im saying is maybe no one should have a go at anyone, as its not your decision its the (stupid) governments, and no one can help what bad criteria they fit. Its based on income because they think "we'll give money to the poor".

And as for the "after paying bills" fair enough, my parents income is through my mum and brothers disabilities, so they get enough and have enough to spend after bills - so yeah maybe i wouldnt get it. But I wouldnt take the money of my mum either - because i save and dont moan about what I get or dont get.

It just annoys me that yes some people waste it when they dont need it, yes some people dont get it when they possibly should. Its a difficult subject. Maybe scrap EMA and give it to charities for people that DO NEED IT.

"Small minds discuss persons. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas. Really great minds discuss MATHEMATICS."

(#39 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - January 5th 2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Rachel, Im not stereotyping as rich, Im also not saying you shouldnt get EMA. What im saying is maybe no one should have a go at anyone, as its not your decision its the (stupid) governments, and no one can help what bad criteria they fit. Its based on income because they think "we'll give money to the poor".

And as for the "after paying bills" fair enough, my parents income is through my mum and brothers disabilities, so they get enough and have enough to spend after bills - so yeah maybe i wouldnt get it. But I wouldnt take the money of my mum either - because i save and dont moan about what I get or dont get.

It just annoys me that yes some people waste it when they dont need it, yes some people dont get it when they possibly should. Its a difficult subject. Maybe scrap EMA and give it to charities for people that DO NEED IT.
well if [when] the conservatives get into power it'll be scrapped anyway, so people might not be ranting about it for too much longer.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
I-cant-see Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: EMA... It's really unfair! - January 5th 2010, 10:43 PM

Scrapping it will lead to many teens getting part time jobs = less jobless rates BUT lower number of students at college and lower grades due to over working/ less studying?

Complicated

Closed Thread