TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Question Police Officer? - December 13th 2009, 11:31 PM

I'm leaning towards a degree instead of going all the way through school. Law Enforcement is something that I'm interested in doing... It's just that they do a background check, which I'm totally clear. I passed one where I last lived. But they do a total investigation on you... I've been with guys the the past when I was a minor. And they ask important questions. Like, when I was a kid I kissed my sister. On a polygraph they might ask something like that and think I'm a pedo or something (which I'm NOT) but those are two things I'm worried about.

I want to do this... But I'm not sure my circumstances will allow me? help.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Police Officer? - December 14th 2009, 12:24 AM

That kind of thing they don't really hold against you. My uncle is a Sheriff and had some odd things in his past like that, but it wasn't held against him.

They would be more concerned with criminal offenses, emotional/mental stability, physical ability, etc.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Police Officer? - December 14th 2009, 12:31 AM

Really? I mean, can anyone get hurt by the investigation? Like if they find something out are they going to do something about it? So since I've been with older guys when I was a minor... Will they do anything to the guys? Even if I'm still with one of them (I'm 18 though.)

If you could ask him for a more detailed reply that would be wonderful!

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Police Officer? - December 14th 2009, 03:21 AM

I can ask my Dad. He used to be a police officer, then the Chief of the town. Now he's the Deputy Chief of the county. I'll ask him.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Police Officer? - December 14th 2009, 03:53 AM

This is one area where the laws differ greatly between Canada and the US. Part of the course in forensic psychology dealt with polygraphs and the main type of polygraph used mostly for job applications is a relevant/irrelevant technique. Traditionally it was a method used for interrogating but it's been abandoned as that but the same method remains for employment screening. So, for a crime, they'll ask the suspect relevant questions (i.e. did you stab Mr. A?) and irrelevant questions (i.e. is today Thursday?). It's the poorest polygraph method for interrogating and the idea behind it is to see if people react more to relevant questions or not. For employment screening, generally they ask about drug abuse, antisocial acts (people tend to not know what antisocial means so google it), honesty and any laws/rules you may have broken in the past.

I'm not certain as to whether they'll go after the older guys or not, as if they ask if you've been with older guys, it's a yes or no question. However, I think a question like that wouldn't likely be asked because it's very personal and deals possibly with sexual history. But I further doubt it because aside from it being a very personal and specific question, they would need you to reveal the names of them. I would assume though that you're safe because they'd be more concerned with any psychiatric and medical problems, criminal history, substance abuse and so forth.

You'd likely have to do psychological tests, such as pen-and-paper ones, although I'm not sure what the ones are for the US as the course and book was regarding Canada, although some US and European studies were cited sometimes. I'd assume though that the MMPI-2 would be used as it's very common (not sure if you'd get the long or short version). Police forces have their own specialized psychological tests, so you'd have to go through those also. They would likely inquire about your past in terms of criminal activity and other factors.

What they cannot do though (at least in Canada since it's a federal law I think) is look into your medical history. They also cannot ask you directly about it, if the laws are the same. What they can do though is ask something like "do you have any mental/physical disorders that can affect your ability to work effectively?". That is legal and that is where you need to make a judgment. So since they cannot inquire directly about your medical (including psychiatric) past, they use their own specialized assessments.

If you were applying for Canadian police, then I could list out the ones they'd use. But I think the MMPI-2 is a likely one. They may or may not use risk assessment tools, such as VRAG, HCR-20, Static-99, etc... . I'm not sure though what it is for the US.

I'm not sure what position you're applying for in the police department, but if it's for things to do with interrogating or interviewing suspects, then I'd look up some stuff from the APLS as they have immense influence and they're based in the USA. What you may find out (and this is supported by research and the APLS), is that the techniques that are very useful for interrogating and interviewing, such as eyewitness interviewing, aren't really used by the police. Sometimes they are, especially if those officers are trained in it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Police Officer? - December 15th 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
Really? I mean, can anyone get hurt by the investigation? Like if they find something out are they going to do something about it? So since I've been with older guys when I was a minor... Will they do anything to the guys? Even if I'm still with one of them (I'm 18 though.)

If you could ask him for a more detailed reply that would be wonderful!
Depends how old you were and these men were. I am not sure they'd do anything about them unless they did something to be wanted by local police departments and such.

Why would they judge you over your own personal life and sex life..?

I'm aiming that at anyone who actually has experience.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
Closed Thread