TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxJoolay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Julie

Unhappy Pre-Algebra? - December 26th 2009, 05:06 AM

Uh well, I'm in the 8th grade and retaking pre algebra. I mean, even though I'm familiar with all this stuff, I'm still getting an F. I asked my teacher for help, and I listened to her many times, but I still don't seem to get it. And when progress reports go home (Like, you know, deficiencies if you get a C- or lower) my mom sees the F in pre algebra and all she does is start yelling at me to stop using the computer, or you need to study and all that. I can't talk back to my mom, I mean I find that disrespectful, and so I don't say anything. Even though I don't say anything, I want to SNAP so bad, I just start crying because it frustrates me that much. She thinks I'm lazy and I don't do anything, but it's just the fact that I'm really trying and it still isn't working out. I mean, all my friends passed pre-algebra, and some even went into geometry. It's just so hard.

:/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: Pre-Algebra? - December 26th 2009, 08:41 AM

Hey, Julie. I'm sorry you're having to go through this, and I understand how you feel: not every subject is for every person. And it hurts when something is hard for you and other people don't understand and treat you badly, especially the people you're supposed to be able to look to for help like teachers and parents.

If you're really struggling that much, I'd look into your school's tutoring program if they have one and see if you can find a way to get some help outside of class. I understand if your mother is upset with you or if she's irrational, but if you're serious about finding tutoring she shouldn't have any reason to protest, especially if it's free. Don't be afraid to ask your friends for help every so often, too: I know you don't want to breathe down their necks or seem needy, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind lending you a hand every now and then. Also ask yourself what the source of the problem might be: do you have trouble focusing? Do you have a hard time grasping concepts? Do things move too fast for you? Is your teacher just bad at lecturing? Take all of that into consideration because, for a lot of these issues, there's various solutions you can try out. I would talk it over with the guidance counselor. They might be able to help you pinpoint the source of the problem and give you advice on how to make pre-algebra easier. Just don't give up. If you find that nothing is helping at first, keep looking until you find something. It's not fair for teachers to give up on students, but you shouldn't give up on yourself either, okay? I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time, and I hope that things work out for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Pre-Algebra? - December 26th 2009, 08:59 PM

Your mother yelling at you isn't likely to do much good so if you want, why not ask her to get you a tutor? Alternatively, ask classmates for help (ones who get higher marks) or ask online. Unfortunately, math is something you need to work at so we can explain certain questions and answers, as well as some specific concepts but you're going to need to work to understand them. If you post some questions you don't understand on here, then we can certainly explain the answers.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Pre-Algebra? - December 27th 2009, 04:51 AM

Unfortunately, math is something you will continue to take thoughout your life. If you do not understand it now it will only accumulate and make it harder once you get to trig or calculus. Math is universal, everything is based on math.
I would suggest after school courses or look for online help, like others have said try posting questions here maybe we can help you.
Good Luck.!

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chzburger Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Pre-Algebra? - December 27th 2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
Unfortunately, math is something you will continue to take thoughout your life. If you do not understand it now it will only accumulate and make it harder once you get to trig or calculus. Math is universal, everything is based on math.
I would suggest after school courses or look for online help, like others have said try posting questions here maybe we can help you.
Good Luck.!
No need to scare her like that. While what you say is true, not everybody takes trig or calculus and you can live a perfectly good life without knowing anything about those subjects. As long as you can compute change, do taxes, and balance your checkbook then you will be fine.

As for the OP, feel free to PM me with any math questions you have. I'd be happy to help.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Pre-Algebra? - December 27th 2009, 04:15 PM

^I'm not sure, but I think in the state of California Claculus is a required High School class (usually grades 11 or 12). It might be required in other places now too .

(#7 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Pre-Algebra? - December 27th 2009, 06:25 PM

First, on Calculus--you may need to take calculus in california and a semester of calculus for most degrees in college, BUT it doesn't matter in the real word if you can solve the problems you cover in calc 1 (life is more complicated than simple integrals, usually) but it's the concepts you need to know. So, don't even worry about that stuff, it'll come if you need it.

As for pre-algebra, it's a new way of thinking. It's a little abstract, and it's hard to teach the 'right' way. When I had problems with math, I would just come in every day during lunch or a free period, sometimes before/after school, and sometimes even on those students-aren't-in-school-but-teachers-are days... because then the teacher knows you're serious about it and gives you more attention and actually teaches you better. I think with pre-algebra, there isn't much of a work around, you need to learn it, but make it clear to your teacher that you're serious. Come in and get help, routinely... even if it's just to sit in the empty classroom and do problems on the board.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Pre-Algebra? - December 27th 2009, 06:44 PM

You don't have to take Calculus in California. When you get into College and what not you will be required to take a higher math course; Calculus is something you could take but it is not required. In college a lot of what math courses you take depend on what you want to Major in etc.

As for your struggle right now; I think the best thing to do would be to look into a tutor. I didn't understand math at all either and then I got a tutor and I started to comprehend it and now I get passing grades in my math class.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Pre-Algebra? - December 27th 2009, 06:48 PM

^Hmm. Really? I'm pretty sure everybody at my school (public charter) takes calculus. I'll have to ask my Algebra teacher because he would probably know.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Pre-Algebra? - January 5th 2010, 05:48 PM

I write articles about mathematical topics for a homework help website. I can give you the link to that website, as well as several other math websites. Before I wrote articles, I was a math tutor, teaching people algebra and basic geometry.

Feel free to ask me any math-related questions. Algebra is the branch of math I am best at and I love helping people with it

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

Closed Thread