TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FreedbyHim Offline
Not a n00b

College, Part-Time Job, and Car? - December 31st 2009, 07:13 PM

I'm in my first year of college in a medical program. I was informed of a car for sale (cousin's girlfriend's sister's car) for $200 not a huge expense, apparently the only thing wrong with it is that it has no heating, and they want it out of the drive way. It's a 90 something car, '93 (I believe) Jetta. Doesn't sound horrible, but then there is insurance, gas, maintenance, repairs, etc. I do not currently work, and I'm trying to figure out the financial weight of this car and whether or not it would be worth me getting a part-time job during college just to have my own car. If it would cost me more money than I would make it's obviously not worth it, but if I can afford it and still have some money left over after a pay check to save for repairs, surprise costs, and anything else that may come after that it would be worth it right?

I guess the reason I'm posting this is I'm asking for opinions and advice, and whether anyone knows of some decent insurance companies in Ontario, Canada for my age (19). I just need to start looking somewhere. I'm having a trustworthy family member check out the car for any unlisted damages.

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love." — Washington Irving

HelpLINKMentor since June 24, 2010
Live Help Operator since July 6, 2010

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: College, Part-Time Job, and Car? - December 31st 2009, 08:21 PM

Hey there,

I find that my car has changed my life drastically, I have a lot more freedom then before. My family has our insurance through State farm. They have decent rates. I'd look around though if I were you. Some cities have different insurance companies.

Good luck
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: College, Part-Time Job, and Car? - December 31st 2009, 08:50 PM

I too found that getting a car makes life a lot easier, not having to take the bus everywhere is great
Your insurance would depend on how many doors the car has, generally two door cars cost more insurance-wise. My 4 door 2001 costs me about $178 per month (because it's split up among 10 equal payments per year instead of 12). My insurance is through Jonson Inc. because my parents had done a claim with them before and they were VERY easy to do it with unlike some other companies, so we don't even bother looking at other prices.
The thing is if you do buy a 1993 car, you have to think for a second, that's 17 years old. Even if right now it doesn't have many problems just the fact that it's 17 years old is kind of an indicator that it'll have them soon. Although I hear good things about VW, I'd look into what the common problems of that car are before you commit any money to it.
I don't know if you'd want a car with no heating in Ontario though, I understand it's not as cold as here but I think that'd still be pretty uncomfortable.
And I'm no expert with cars, but isn't the heating system heated by the engine coolant? How can that stop working unless there's something wrong with it? I'd look into that before buying it since that'd be a major problem in summer. Make sure that there's enough coolant in the engine itself, if there is and it's still not heating the inside of the car there might be a blockage in the system.
If there isn't a blockage and there's enough coolant then the doors in your heater case probably need to be replaced.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: College, Part-Time Job, and Car? - January 1st 2010, 01:22 AM

Getting a car is great, but getting an old car without getting it properly expected by a mechanic and just because someone wants it out of the way... is dangerous. I'm not sure I would feel safe driving people around in a car like that, and there's no hurry to get a car.

Get a job first, figure out how much many you can set aside for a car costs and whether you really need it, and look for a car then. That car isn't the only 200 dollar car out there.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

Closed Thread