TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
snappydog Offline
Whimsical Nocturne
Average Joe

Name: Chris

Author?! - January 3rd 2010, 04:02 PM

So I'm nearly 16. I've written a few novels, and I really think that a career in writing could be for me. I know that seems a bit steep, and I also accept that it's very rare to be so successful an author that it becomes possible to write as a full-time career without having another job purely because the money isn't generally good enough for it to be reasonably possible to live off.
Anyways, my question is: Does anybody know how I could get published? I've been looking up publishers and agents but it just doesn't make sense to me... the publishers say I'll need an agent and the agents say I need to pay just to contact them et cetera...

Advice?! Please?!
(any names of publishers I could contact directly etc. would be MUCH appreciated!)

It's no surprise that you'll soon forget about me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Author?! - January 3rd 2010, 04:14 PM

Hey Chris, the thought of being an author is not steep. It is amazing, I like yourself would love to be an author, I am writing two books right now. Although I would like to get one nearly done before getting published. I was looking around just as you are now.
If you are in an English class or know an Engish teacher, ask them if they know how to help because they may.
If I remember correctly, my yearbook teacher of four years is writing a book and I do think she has a publisher, if she does and I can get her info I will give it to you.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Author?! - January 3rd 2010, 04:23 PM

You could try self-publishing. While this may be harder it means you get to control things like the cover of your book and exactly what goes in it and any profits you make will be all yours.

There's a Self Publishing For Dummies book that'll have all that information in.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lana Offline
*twirl*
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: *pokes username*

Re: Author?! - January 3rd 2010, 04:38 PM

Self-publishing is an option, but it's going to be a heck of a lot of work.

Do yourself a favor and do what I did; go to the nonfiction section of your local library and go to the 808's. It's a goldmine of information for writing, as well as contacting agents/publishers/editors.

The most important thing I always seem to get from these books is this: don't try to call anyone. Whatever you end up mailing them, you almost always enclose a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope).

If you do contact a publisher, you have to make sure you're specific about which editor is supposed to read your letter.

I haven't looked at info on publishing in forever, so everything's a little fuzzy, sorry. xD But I understand what you're going, through; writing's tough. I think that's why I like it. =3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
snappydog Offline
Whimsical Nocturne
Average Joe

Name: Chris

Re: Author?! - January 8th 2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks for all your advice, I'm gonna be checking out all your recommendations soon

It's no surprise that you'll soon forget about me

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fantasy Offline
Writer
Not a n00b

Name: Christy

Re: Author?! - January 16th 2010, 01:11 AM

For self publishing, try lulu.com. My aunt uses it to publish her books. I will too in the future.

I am also I writer and I am looking for a publisher too.

Never Give Up On Your Dreams No Matter How Hard Or Big They May Seem..... Someday you will reach them...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Author?! - January 16th 2010, 07:35 AM

I'm going to come at this through a different side of the spectrum.

Right off the bat, what I can tell you is that you can become anything you want and I truly do mean anything. I'm a small town suburban kid, but at 21 I'm working on a screenplay with the son of an academy award winners with already one interested buyer plus Warner Brothers is seriously digging me as a development employee when there's a spot open. I'm also a quintessential loser, the invisible guy in high school, lol.

I got here not by lucky, well - I usually say it's luck because I have such a horrible self-esteem (lmaol), but by hard work and all of that. Hard work, persistence, never taking no for an answer. If one person doesn't like something, well - guess what? That one person is just one person in a crowd. Really tough to gauge if you know what I'm saying. It's like going up to ONE person at the end of a movie and saying, "hey, dude, what'd you think?" One could say "that sucked ass!" the other "that movie was awesome!" Same with anyone who gives you feedback for better or worse. But, I'm still my worst critic - really need people to tell me "no, that's good" while I'm still at the "it's shit, needs more work, definitely needs more work" stage. (stated like rain-man)

How did I get here? Hard work, persistence, never giving up. Anyone can to - doesn't matter where you're from. As long as you have talent and some sense about you, you'll do fine. And from experience, talent really comes from practice. I look at what I write today, then I look at what I wrote in high school and it's like "holy shit, did this come from the same guy?" - It's like sports, if you want to play with the major league, you've gotta practice, gotta keep swingin' and missing'. With experience, you hone in and become better at it. When you're given an opportunity - JUMP at it, don't wait around and waste around, give 110%. Hell, there's even been a MAJOR leap from sophomore summer to where I am today.

If you find a contact, you latch onto them. You become their go-to-guy. I'm the go-to-writer for the son of an academy award winner, we started hitting it off with this werewolf flick and now we have a couple other possible projects looking to get off the ground (plus, we see eye to eye which is always AMAZING to find).

Also, go after all forms of writing. I started out just with screenplays. Now I'm writing teleplays (managing a virtual series), poems, and songs (currently looking for a band to join, gonna hunt around in LA this summer) because it's all part of the same skill set. Personally, I think if you want a job in writing there are plenty of things you can do. You can be the diverse guy who's interested in multiple facets of writing, that way you're always ready for any kind of gig. Or the developmental office guy who's also writing on the side. I still haven't quite figured what one I am yet, still young want to be wild and rampant out there going door to door for some reason - but, when I want to settle down, office and writing, sure... why not?

As per finding your voice. That's the hardest question of all and most writers don't really get what it is until much later. Hell, I didn't. I was just "okay, this is mainstream - people like this, I like this, let's do it!" Today, what I found through years is... nah, that's not it at all. You fall flat (and trust me, I was also a reader in Hollywood - I can tell, I love honesty and feeling a writer is telling me who he is while entertaining me). It's all about your soul, gotta live, bleed and die on those pages. Yank your guts out, boil them and serve them up to the reader/audience/listener for dinner. Anything that's given you shit in life, anything you're worried about, your worst nightmares, best fantasies, especially things you wouldn't in your wildest dreams tell someone else (even your parents!) have gotta be in there. That's what catches on and you can see that, without a doubt. That's what I found, as a reader in Warner Brothers, I'd use to separate the "pass" from "consider's." Gotta be your project, heart, body, mind and soul.

I'm kinda tired, kinda out of my mind, but hope there was something in here that can be of some worth to some writer. Because, 21, my future is basically set - all I've gotta do is not screw it up. Lol. You mature and find yourself at the same pace your writing does, sometimes feeding off of each other. If anyone has any questions on "how to break in" (seems impossible), feel free to PM me. Don't have all the answers (despite WB and the friend-connector), but I do somewhat have an idea what caught their attention... also try to put yourself in the right place at right time (no, this isn't luck - it's called working for people and making employers into friends) things'll roll around.

Basically this kind of thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappydog View Post
I also accept that it's very rare to be so successful an author
CUT IT OUT. Who said it's rare? Who said 'not a chance'? You start taking bullshit from the man telling you what there is and what there isn't - that's when they win. All through my life I didn't give a shit what anyone else thought or how hard anyone else thought it would be. On my mind sometimes, sure, but then I go - to hell with that, I got here without thinking that way... where I am today, I thought was impossible (I'm even told by my fellow students that it's impossible), but somehow I made it.

I got a teacher in film school, crazy as fuck, but smart too. His advice was "don't stop, if I had to do it all over again - I would have staid - something would have happened." That dude, is the smartest advice EVER. Know you're heading in for a roller coaster, prepare to beaten down, dead, bruised and buried before the resurrection. Expect to go bankrupt - LOTS do, hell even Christian Bale (BATMAN) did! Keep on going, don't look back and you'll wake up and go "holy shit, how'd I wind up here?" I know that's what rushes through my head every day and it keeps getting bigger, but I expect a dive - who wouldn't, who hasn't? It's just - persistence.... so saying it's rare, no way man. Not rare. If you believe you can do it, you can do it. If you don't believe you can do it, you'll drop out.... it's like a game of SURVIVOR in my book - those who hold on and are brave enough to endure it, you survive to make your dreams become reality. Read up on anyone who has ever gotten anywhere in life and the reason why is always the same "he never gave up, he never took no for an answer, he never backed down, he was a persistent little fucker and look at him now."

That and also having friends who have got your back. The academy award winner's son keeps rooting me on and wants to sell the werewolf script around immediately, I'm the one who's saying "it needs more work, let me perfect it." Also having another writer friend I get along with really well, gonna see if I can start a partnership with him at going at those gates (even though I'm connected). Why is this important? Because having people there with winning attitudes can make even those with little to no self-esteem go "yeah, yeah, you're right... we can do this!"

Sum up:

> Learn all forms of writing
> Create your own "right time, right place" moments
> Work hard, practice, become the best you can be
> Never say never, never say rare - always say "I'm going to make it"
> Don't rush things, things'll happen in time
> Once you make contacts, latch on, become their friends
> Surround yourself with those who have a winning attitude
> Never take no as an answer (if you have to break into their house, BREAK INTO THEIR HOUSE! Green Day had to do this to get a record deal once)
> Never give up, never surrender, fight for your right.
> Never forget your roots and where you come from (I have an internet presence now, I'll have one in the future no matter where I get, no matter how much I sell... it's all due to the people. The people rule this world, nobody else - also helps keep you you and not jaded)

Last edited by ThePunkAlien; January 16th 2010 at 07:59 AM.

Closed Thread