TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

A-Level Art! - January 6th 2010, 04:10 PM

Anybody doing A-level art here? I'm year 12, so i'm doing AS but i really don't think i will carry it on until A2, mainly because i am so confused with what's going on and i have no motivation and inspiration and the amount of work is a huuuuge step up from GCSE and involves tons of independent work and i just don't think i can juggle it alongside English combined, Psychology and R.S.

I want to know how you people get your inspiration and what sort of stuff the examiners look for in terms of coursework? At the moment i'm just doing research on certain artists/sculptors and then infusing elements of their work with eachother and with my own but i don't even know what medias i should be working with and it's just all so blah =/

I'd appreciate any feedback and personal experiences with A-level art.

Thanks.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: A-Level Art! - January 6th 2010, 04:21 PM

Hey Lisa,

I'm not doing A Level art at the moment but I did take it as an A level. I took English, Psychology and Art as my A levels - dropped Sociology after AS, and I will admit that it was a hell of a lot of work, but in some ways art was a release. When I was struggling trying to do the work for my other subjects I could use my feelings in my work. Try talking to your art teacher and tell them that you're worried about the amount of work. At my college we were able to work during lunch times and have the art studios after college as well which definitely helped. See if they can help you to juggle the amount of work, after all, it's what they're there for!

Like I said earlier, I used my feelings as inspiration. I was never good at the actual practical work of art, but I had a lot of ideas which is I think the only reason I managed to pass xD I made everything personal, using my favourite artists and my life and area to get primary sources. There are what? 3 or 4 objectives that you have to cover. Your primary and secondary sources, development of ideas and then final piece. My teacher used to always say that the development of ideas was the thing that examiners focus in on, but I don't know whether that's true.

If you enjoy the subject, I definitely think the work is worth it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: A-Level Art! - January 6th 2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, Ellie.

You're right about it being a release, it used to be for me but ever since i took GCSE and now A-level art, i find it so structured and i feel limited. I look at other people's sketchbooks and they have so much experimentation and their styles are so sophisticated and developed and i just look at mine and think 'o_0' a 5 year old could do that.

I will talk to my teacher though, there's only one that is relatively competent, that's why i find it a bit difficult as one of them is condescending and critical and the other is all over the place and it's quite difficult to work out what he's saying. The one that is okayish is always busy but i shall try to make time to ask him.

Thanks.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

Closed Thread