TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mixtape Offline
Not a n00b

I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 10:56 PM

Hey there,

I am currently in my first year of university and am thinking for my fourth year I would like to go to England or Scotland for a semester. Can anyone give me an idea what it is like in general to go to university in the UK. Also what schools are good/bad and big/small, etc. What are your favourite and least favourite parts about going to university where you are at? If you are not in university then tell me what your culture/lifestyle is like compared to what you may know about Canada (just curious!).

thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 11:10 PM

Well, milk is sold in bottles over here
And we speak English English =p (well, they use lots of different slang depending where you go)
But that's the UK in general, couldn't really tell you about Scotland.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
mixtape Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 11:14 PM

Really? That is so cool cause in Canada we have cartons which you can recycle but then they have these other type of cartons which are so called biodegradable (can't spell!) yet it takes 100 years apparently to do that fully. Go UK-ers!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 11:28 PM

what universities are good/bad will depend on what subject you're looking to study.. so what course would you be thinking of taking?

urmm, differences.. things are more expensive over here, obviously the drinking age is 18 here, we drive on the left side of the road, oh and we have smaller food portions at restaurants.. :]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
mixtape Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 11:48 PM

I am majoring in psychology and minoring in english

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 11:50 PM

The North is better for expense - SO MUCH CHEAPER I have friends North & South atm ... North is defo better that way. Other than that it's a case of personal taste. Like for example Leeds is known to be a big party place and there's not loads on campus, it's just closeby in the town ... Somewhere like Durham is far quieter with mainly pubs for fun I think my friend said there's 3 nightclubs. But they're both really well accredited and good to go to, and I have friends at both who love them. Plus like Elle said, what you're studying will probably affect your choice.
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php
^ That's from the Times Good University giude ... you can search by course for which universities are ranked higher etc

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 11:52 PM

Ah that isn't quite how it works here.

You don't have majors and minors. You just do a subject like "psychology" or "english".

You can do joint-honors degrees where you spent 50% of your time on psychology and 50% on English, or "Psychology with English" so it's a higher percentage of psychology but I'm not really sure how common these are. For psychology I know that if you want any chance of working as a psychologist you need to an accredited course and I doubt that you'd be able to study English on an accredited course... and courses that aren't accredited are not going to be worth doing.

So for a semester it might be better just to do Psychology? At a good University?

I don't know much about how that works really so you'd have to look into it.

And if you're looking for prestige best bet is to go for a Russel Group University - though you will have to have high grades.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 11:55 PM

i heard that UCL and York are very good for psychology.. and in Scotland Glasgow or St Andrews. my friends sister has just started psychology at Exeter which is supposedly very good for psychology, too. i'm no expert though and there are probably other people on here that can give you more specific advice.

also, it depends where you want to live. do you want to live in a big city like London or do you want to be at a smaller place in a quieter area?.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 6th 2010, 11:56 PM

^^ All good ones

here is the rankings for psychology: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...b=53&x=37&y=12

Different departments have different rankings, but I'm going to guess that people in Canada won't know the ranking of the invidual department, only the University as a whole. So for that reason you might want to go to a University that has a good ranking overall.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
mixtape Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 7th 2010, 12:00 AM

Thanks guys! Well my main thing is psychology so that would be my subject. I will check into some of these places. I am definitely not looking for a huge school or anything prestigious. Now I go to a very tiny liberal arts university (the only one we got in canada! how bout that eh?) not a huge partier but a few drinks every now and then are great!

Also how do the people in Scotland or England typically view the LGBT commuinty?

Last edited by mixtape; January 7th 2010 at 12:16 AM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 7th 2010, 12:36 AM

Well, I think I could be of help here. Yes, my location says Canada but I was born in the UK and lived there for 20 years. You could say I have good understanding of what's different!

Differences you will likely notice:

Cleanliness of public places is poorer.
Customer service - people rarely say "You're welcome" or "Have a nice day".
Pace of life - when out in public you will notice people seem in a hurry, but you may be used to this if you live in a city now. If people bump into you they usually glare at you, some apologise, others wait for you to.

Pronunciation of words! For example "Herbs" not "erbs", "Aluminium" not "Aloominum' (as it's pronounced in Canada). Once you make friends they will probably try and correct you, the same happened to me when I came to Canada! Still happens, actually.

Time! This might be important. Half-past, a-quarter-to, a-quarter-past the hour. 10:30 = "half ten" or "half past ten", 10:15 = "quarter past [ten]", 10:45 = " a quarter to 11". They also write the date differently, I can't remember how they do it, though.

As for Universities there are quite a few websites you can look at for that. Here's a short list to get you started:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=6643

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...-2010-subjects

http://www.ucas.com is also a good source of information.

http://www.unistats.com/ gives you information on Student Satisfaction based on national student surveys conducted annually. You can search by unversity or subject.

You'll find that University students in the UK party more often than the students in Canada, particularly the first years. I have come to know this personally, haha.

Most universities in the UK have a lot of students, as the population of the country is almost twice the size of Canada's. 426,627 students attend university in the UK.
For a list of universities by size (number of students) try Wikipedia! Those numbers are a bit old, but you should be able to get a good idea.

If you have any more questions about the differences between England and Canada, feel free to PM me, I'd love to help.
Take Care!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#12 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 7th 2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassionateSoul View Post
Well, I think I could be of help here. Yes, my location says Canada but I was born in the UK and lived there for 20 years. You could say I have good understanding of what's different!

Differences you will likely notice:

Cleanliness of public places is poorer.
Customer service - people rarely say "You're welcome" or "Have a nice day".
Pace of life - when out in public you will notice people seem in a hurry, but you may be used to this if you live in a city now. If people bump into you they usually glare at you, some apologise, others wait for you to.

Pronunciation of words! For example "Herbs" not "erbs", "Aluminium" not "Aloominum' (as it's pronounced in Canada). Once you make friends they will probably try and correct you, the same happened to me when I came to Canada! Still happens, actually.

Time! This might be important. Half-past, a-quarter-to, a-quarter-past the hour. 10:30 = "half ten" or "half past ten", 10:15 = "quarter past [ten]", 10:45 = " a quarter to 11". They also write the date differently, I can't remember how they do it, though.

As for Universities there are quite a few websites you can look at for that. Here's a short list to get you started:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=6643

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...-2010-subjects

http://www.ucas.com is also a good source of information.

http://www.unistats.com/ gives you information on Student Satisfaction based on national student surveys conducted annually. You can search by unversity or subject.

You'll find that University students in the UK party more often than the students in Canada, particularly the first years. I have come to know this personally, haha.

Most universities in the UK have a lot of students, as the population of the country is almost twice the size of Canada's. 426,627 students attend university in the UK.
For a list of universities by size (number of students) try Wikipedia! Those numbers are a bit old, but you should be able to get a good idea.

If you have any more questions about the differences between England and Canada, feel free to PM me, I'd love to help.
Take Care!
we write it like: day-month-year. instead of month-day-year.

so it's 07/01/2010 instead of 01/07/2010

ours makes more sense, basically

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 7th 2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtape View Post
Also how do the people in Scotland or England typically view the LGBT commuinty?
I can only really speak for Edinburgh and Glasgow on this, but my flatmate is a lesbian and she absolutely loves the LGBT community. Myself included, though I'm almost viewed as an outsider, dang me being attracted to men
There are groups within universities, and outings, so to speak, are arranged within the groups. I know most LGBT communities in Edinburgh, from the different univerities, hang out together so there would be a rather large crowd.
Scotland is a lot cheaper than England regarding tuition fees, at least within the UK. I am not terribly sure about foreign students, but I would imagine it would be the same.
I do hope you enjoy your stay when you come over. If you decide to that is [:

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 7th 2010, 05:14 PM

LGBT, well to be honest it depends where you go. Some places are a lot less accepting, some a lot more.

Check out brighton if you're wanting a large LGBT community.

Also for internationals, the Scottish University fees are just as high.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: I see a lot of UK people on here - January 10th 2010, 04:33 PM

I live in glasgow and go to uni here and the LGBT community is great and loved, i live in the like "posh" i suppose part of glasgows city centre and live within walking distance of like 4 gay bar/clubs, there are marches, all the unis up here have like LGBT groups.

I also grew up in london whic his very very welcoming as well.

I personally think glasgow is an amazing city for students as are alot of other scottish ones, and english ones, having lived in both scotland and england with friends across the country feel free to pm me with other questions

Closed Thread