TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sebastian! Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

School.Exams.Pressure - January 8th 2010, 12:12 AM

I'm sorry if I've not posted this in the correct category but I've been feeling really down lately, I've had too much pressure from teachers, friends, revision for exams and school in general.

I have science re-sits next week (Monday 11th January - Wednesday 13th) and I feel like I can't do anything. I didn't choose science as an option. In year 9 (in the UK) you decide what 'options' you would like to do. I decided to pickk IT and Art, by dad forced me to pick Separate Sciences and I've not understood a word of any of the lessons for two years. I am now in the last half of year 11 and have been struggling with coursework and revision. As I got a C in all three science exams, my teachers have decided that I have to do re-sits. I got a C and it's a pass... correct me if I wrong but for a person who hates science, a C is a good grade.

Anyways, my teacher, the head of science, rang home and discussed it with my mum. She has the same feelings as me, she conciders C a pass and a good grade. I've been pulled out of a science lesson to talk to the head of science and she talked to me for around ten minutes, persuading me to proceed wit the re-sits. In the end I felt like hitting her and couldn't look her in the face because I didn't want to show her how much I hated her.

All school cares about is result tables. Where they come in the UK in "best school". They should put students first. NOT school.

If she even talked to me she would've realised things have been hard at home. I'm fed up of her and because there is no more physics teachers in the school, I'm stuck with her. I'm really in need of help, any advice for people who are in my situation or have been in my situation? Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: School.Exams.Pressure - January 8th 2010, 08:55 AM

I understand what you mean when you say UK schools just care about where they come in the league tables. My old maths teacher when i was at school even said, if the class didn't all get a B (we were doing intimediate tier, a B was the highest you could get) he won't get his bonus and the maths department (which they said was one of the best in the borough) would look bad. It's rediculous. Its not really about learning, it's about remembering stuff and re-writing it in an exam. I can't even remember most of the stuff i learnt in maths at GCSE now and i doubt i'll ever need a lot of it.

Have you tried talking to your form tutor, he/she may be able to help you out and talk to your science teacher(s) maybe make you feel a little more comfortable with the lessons and exams.

Well done on getting a C, that's really good especially as you don't even like the subject. Are you planning on going to college? If so don't let your dad dictate to you what subjects you take, it's about what you want to do with your life, not what someone else wants you to do with your life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: School.Exams.Pressure - January 8th 2010, 10:09 AM

Ok, I just have to say that a school gets no more credit whether you get an A* or a C, honestly, because it goes on the A*-C grade percentages. So when they're saying that resitting is your best option, they are genuinely thinking about your best options, not their league tables, because for them you've already got into that A*-C grade percentage. They don't get any more credit if you then go on and get a B or an A.

However, you do. Yes, a C is a good grade for someone who struggles with science at GCSE, but with what University is like today a B would serve you a lot better - it's worth resitting. Even if you do worse it doesn't really matter because you already have the C, right? And if you do a lot of revision you may get it up to a B. Your school is right when they say it's in your best interests to give it a go and resit.

The way I see it is that you've already been entered for the resit, have you had to pay for them? Seeing as they're next week I'd presume you've done some revision for them already, you might as well give it a go. You don't have anything to lose. Do a lot of solid revision over the weekend and give a shot.

Good luck

(#4 (permalink)) Old
sebastian! Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: School.Exams.Pressure - January 8th 2010, 10:44 AM

Hi, thanks for your posts, no, I haven't done any revision. As soon as the science teacher told me I was doing them I decided I wasn't. I understand where you're all coming from but I really don't see the benefit in doing the resit. Coursework which is worth 33.3% (a third of my grade) will pull up any grade. I don't need a resit to get a better mark. Plus, talking to my form tutor about it will make it worse, all she thinks about is school and college.

I also tried talking to my science teachers and when they said you should really do it to boost your grade up, I brought the "All school cares about is league tables" and they quickly shut up.

Thanks for your advice and support though

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: School.Exams.Pressure - January 8th 2010, 10:52 AM

Isn't that a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face? If you're going to the exams, you might as well give it your best shot. Whether you school is bothered about league tables or not, surely you can see that getting a better grade than a C (which is a pass, but just a pass, and to be absolutely honest here is not going to do you any favours) is going to work in your favour?
Also are you going to have more exams in summer? Getting a better grade will give you more marks to drop in summer incase you don't do well.

Look, you're going to be doing the exams, so get over yourself and do some revision? It's not too late, I basically learnt GCSE maths in a few days and did fine. You seem to have gone "Well if I'm going to have to do them I'm not going to do well, so there!". I don't know how old you are, but that's a bit immature, at the end of the day the person who loses out is you, not them.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
sebastian! Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: School.Exams.Pressure - January 8th 2010, 12:45 PM

Excuse me? I'm hardly immature. I'm fed up of being forced to do things. Two years of a subject I hate. Fourteen hours every fortnight of the subject I hate. Fourteen hours a fourtnight wasted when I could be doing something I wanted to do. You don't know me, nor do you know what it's like to be me. All the sh*t I get from the teachers for not understanding.

Last year when we got our results back from the first module exams the teacher handed out the results, congratulating people with A*s, As, Bs and she said well done to everyone, when she got to me, she picked up the paper, thrusted it in my hand and walked away. You've got no idea how sh*t I felt when she did that. She didn't even talk to me about it. Sure, I can do better but to who's benefit? I'm not going to proceed with science any time in my life. Like I said, thank you for your support and information.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: School.Exams.Pressure - January 9th 2010, 12:37 AM

I can see that it's difficult. You are right that I don't know what it's like to be you, because I enjoy science, and have enjoyed every subject I've ever done. I've also never really had to study a subject I don't want to. So you're right, I don't get that bit. But I have had to do things I don't want to do, or that I've found too stressful, in the name of improving my chances of getting into University to study what I want to do. Sometimes it's a matter of just getting on with it, and you'll find you have to do this all the way through your life.

One thing I do know a lot about is education. How to revise, how to do well, how to make yourself a good University candiate and how valuble good grades are.

I can only imagine how horrible it was that your teacher did that to you. My sister had a similar experience when she got a C in Spanish, which was terrible because she wanted to do it a A-level but couldn't as she had to get a B. I saw how hard she found that so I can emphasise with that part.

But you've just told me that you can do better. You also said "to whose benefit?" Can you not see that by not trying the only person that is really losing out is you. Sure it will make your teachers disappointed, but at the end of the day, in less than 6 months you won't be studying science ever again, and in just over 2 years you'll be gone. When you've stopped studying GCSE science your teachers will completely forget you and move onto the next set of students, in the grand scheme of things you're relatively insignificant. Your teachers will not be affected in any way by your decision not to give these exams your best shot - but you may well be.

Competition for University places is growing increasingly competitive. As a graduate, there are far fewer jobs than there are people. And with competition for jobs at the what it is today (and it will only get worse), by getting into a decent University you're giving yourself a head start.

You may not want to study a science at University level, but having a decent grade in science will show that you are a well-rounded student with abilities in different areas. An example would be my sister. She like you strugged with science but managed to achieve BBB at GCSE with a lot of revision. Since, she had decided to go onto a psychology degree course. She has not done science at A-level but her good GCSE grade has allowed her to get onto courses at decent Universities. It's really not a nice thing to say, but a C is not considered a decent grade. A decent grade in sciences will help you get onto any University degree course, regardless what it is.

The thing is though, I actually think you know all this already and are just looking for excuses to not work, and excuses to not try your best. In the long run, it's you, not anyone else, who will feel the concequences.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; January 9th 2010 at 12:56 AM.

Closed Thread