TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nilay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

want to leave my college..:( - January 8th 2010, 10:50 AM

hey hi friends...
i am an engineering student,doing mechanical engineering. the university,i am in, is a reputed one. and very far from home. when i was at home i felt like going as far as possible. but now here, i dont feel i have adjusted at all. i wanna be at home, study at some univ der. ok, it doesnt have same reputation as my current univ but then here i dont like it at all. its a dying feeling. i wanna go, bt it would be really tough to convince my parents abt dis...as only 1 semester is over yet...
so what should i do...??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
mixtape Offline
Not a n00b

Re: want to leave my college..:( - January 8th 2010, 05:32 PM

I would say stick it out for the year and then transfer for next year. This is the easiest way because there is not so much of a financial mess to sort out. What adjustments are you finding difficult?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: want to leave my college..:( - January 8th 2010, 06:23 PM

Well firstly, reputation is often BS, what people want is a candidate that shows they have the right qualities for the job and are able to show it with their work in college.

However I would try to stay in the college you are in. What are you finding hard in particular? Often it's just a matter of settling in, and in that case changing college is not the best option.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Feather Offline
Average Joe

Name: Andrea

Re: want to leave my college..:( - January 8th 2010, 09:02 PM

I have to agree that reputation for post-secondary isn't always 'true'. Sure.. you have your ivy league schools but other than that... it's not a big deal. And honestly... the requirements for getting your degree are the same no matter where you go (for the most part).

Like said above... what employers are really looking for is someone who is capable and qualified to do a job... they look at where you went to school.. but in some cases, don't even care. A post-secondary institution is a post-secondary institution and it really doesn't matter where you are as long as you get the degree.

Anyways.. back to the original question:

If infact you have your heart set on going back 'home' then it would be far better to wait until the end of the year instead of trying to transfer at the end of the semester. If however you feel as though things just don't seem 'right' or something like that due to it being a new place... I suggest waiting it out.

From personal experience and talking a lot of first year University students through something similar... the first year is always the most difficult. You don't usually feel like you 'fit in' because you won't have figured out the way the place really works until at least your second year.

I highly suggest you stick it through your first year for sure.. take the summer and go back home and see what happens... at the end of the summer if you still feel like you shouldn't be where you are now.. then apply for a transfer. You should also check out the post-secondary by where you live to even see if you are able to transfer from where you are in the first place.

Good luck!

Closed Thread