TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Teacher recommendations - January 10th 2010, 10:46 PM

Hello, loves.

I've never asked a teacher for a recommendation (I'm a junior) but now I need two for summer programs that I'm applying to. The application makes it sound like the recommend-ers need to know me well (one asks about my ability to work in a university environment) but any teachers I ask will have taught me at public school and, frankly, don't know me that well.

I'm wondering if teachers are expected in this situation to BS a little?
More to the point, for the program that only asks for one recommendation should I ask:
-a teacher who is currently teaching me 9th grade Government (though I'm in eleventh grade, I've transferred and my old school didn't require the class) but in whose class I got a 98% first quarter and do well in generally. I think he likes me. I don't know how many recommendations he's ever written, as he teaches freshmen exclusively, but one of the programs is about international relations so his class seems relevant.
-my AP History teacher in whose class I'm getting an A but who doesn't probably know the difference between me and anyone else in my class (except that I have slightly higher test average than most)

There's only one recommendation for this program so I want to make sure it's right. Ultimately not a big deal but any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

The other program (I'm applying to two even though they conflict, in the hope that one will take me) asks for two recommendations and whoever I use for the first program I'd use again for that (along with an English teacher).

Hope you all are having lovely or at least bearable days. <3

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Teacher recommendations - January 11th 2010, 01:02 AM

When I needed a recommendation letter I would always go for the teacher that knew me better. For example your AP History teacher will write a standard letter, saying how good of a student you are blah blah blah. A teacher that knows you well will write it with more details, about your good qualities etc.
Good Luck.!

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Re: Teacher recommendations - January 11th 2010, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the reply.
My other concern is that, as nice as my gov't teacher is, I'm not sure how articulate he will be on paper.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Teacher recommendations - January 11th 2010, 01:21 AM

Why don't you try other teachers?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Re: Teacher recommendations - January 11th 2010, 01:45 AM

It's one of the classes I'm doing best in (if not the class I have the highest grade in) and it's relevant to the program for which I'm applying.
He's one of three teachers who would have anything good to say about me, too, honestly.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Teacher recommendations - January 11th 2010, 03:28 AM

I don't think the program to which you are applying to will take the class in consideration, they just want to know what kind of person you are in class.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BlurrySunset Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meg

Re: Teacher recommendations - January 12th 2010, 01:20 AM

I would actually go for the AP teacher. A recommendation from an AP teacher looks really good. Maybe try establishing a bit of a better relationship with the teacher before asking them about a recommendation? And also, teachers generally require some kind of self-appraisal form so they know what to write for recommendations. At the very least, they will probably ask you to jot down some notes about what your aspirations are, what kind of activities you're involved in, and what your strengths and weaknesses are. If they don't ask for any of this information, I would offer it anyway. I would ask to read over the letter before it's sent in - unless the programs specifically forbid you to do so - to make sure that the teacher didn't leave anything out, and that all the information is correct. Hope this helps, and good luck getting into the program! (:

I lost myself in the space between heaven and hell.
...where do we go from here?

R.I.P. Sarah; 1991-2009
Kacy; 1992-2009
I'll never forget.

Two months clean and sober.
Seven months since last cut.
Still struggling and surviving.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Teacher recommendations - January 12th 2010, 01:46 PM

I'd go for AP teacher too. Most teachers will BS on these forms, he will find something good to say.

When I get my teachers to write my recommendations I always give them a list of noteable things I've done, eg extra curriculum activities, classes that I have 100% in, random stuff. Maybe do something like that.

Closed Thread