TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jackie Offline
World Explorer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Post Happy to be leaving a soul-sucking consumerist job...now what? - January 11th 2010, 05:30 AM

Well it was my first job, and somehow i thought if i put all of my effort into it, i'd stay past the temporary season, but no. this saturday is my last day. i missed a meeting today, lack of transportation. who has a meeting that ends at 10:30pm??? And it made me so angry that yesterday I wasn't wearing the right colored shoes, yet there are others with facial piercings which is also not allowed and they didn't say anything about it. I'm happy to be out of that job that expects so much of it's employees by brainwashing them to sell while the only people that benefit are the full-time employees and the management. I'm sorry this is a bit of an angry rant. Not bitter, because now I have the opportunity to look for a new job. I'm just wondering what is something easy to get into. Is waitressing difficult?? Any good job searching sites?? What kind of jobs are good for someone with minimum experience?

ARTE

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Happy to be leaving a soul-sucking consumerist job...now what? - January 11th 2010, 08:16 PM

There are many jobs you need little experience for, but most are unsklled labour. If you're willing to be trained a little whilst on-the-job it will look good on future resumes and you can gain some experience and not have expectations high because you would still be in training. From them on it will get easier to do the job well.
A server in a coffee shop or restaurant doesn't need much or any experience usually. They will train you. As for waitressing, taking orders is probably the hardest thing to do, apart from being on your feet a lot, and having to carry numerous plates around all day.
The pay won't be fantastic, but if you can get into something like telesales, there are many more opportunities if you do well.

Here are some jobs you may want to consider:
  • Housekeeping
  • Waitress/Server
  • Office Assistant
  • Store Attendant
  • Secretary
  • Kitchen Worker
  • Travel Agent

Most of these are in the hospitality sector, which is one of the largest industries in the US to work in. So look for work in Hotels, Motels, Restaurants, Resorts. If you live in an area where there are resorts, they are lots of different jobs you can do with perks of using resort facilities when you like.

This seems to be a large website with lots of listings: http://www.topusajobs.com/

Top US job search sites:
http://jobsearch.monster.com/
http://www.careerbuilder.com
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
http://www.indeed.com

You may also want to try local newspapers, and search google for "Jobs in washington".

I hope this helps get you started!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jackie Offline
World Explorer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Happy to be leaving a soul-sucking consumerist job...now what? - January 12th 2010, 03:04 AM

Thanks! Great information too, I'll be checking out the websites. Hopefully I find something good

ARTE

Closed Thread