TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 20th 2010, 05:10 PM

Hiiiiyya.

Firstly im going to say this may possibly be Triggering, but im not sure.

So, right, two reasons why i dont want to do PE.
1)My arms are a state. Cuts and scars, i cant have anyone seeing them
2)Im not doing well right now, and im trying to keep myself going to school, but when i fet low, i find myself with a massive confidence drop, and lets face it, PE teachers watch the crap out of you in their lessons, and i cant face the staring at me. It may sound weird, but i hate it.

Ive managed to escape it for a while now, but im worried my teacher is getting annoued, even though i told her that i had had problems with self harm in the past, and didnt want people seeing my scars. Ive used the the whole, left my kit at at home, on the bus, lost my kit, hurt my ankle, shitty exscuses.

So i need ideas and advicee pleasee?

Thankyouu.
Lovess <3

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 20th 2010, 05:22 PM

Hi Basically two options

a) Keep making excuses or skip the lessons

b) Get your mum to talk to your head or year, or talk to your head of year yourself. Explain the situation and how it's having such a detrimental affect on you and ask to be excused to do homework in the library or in a learning support room during PE periods.

I understand fully, and if the worst comes to the worst, it might do you some good to do it? Can you wear a long sleeve top under your uniform or a PE jumper - especially if you explain to your teacher? That will take away some of the problems, and remember your PE teacher is not just watching YOU, but the whole class, and not in a way you need to be worried about.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Naomi. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Naomi

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 20th 2010, 09:00 PM

I wear a full length jumper and trackies and get changed in the loo (: <3

Dream ♥

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 20th 2010, 09:23 PM

Long sleeved top, if you're allowed. Bandage round your wrist, or just telling your p.e teacher the truth (quietly, in the corner of course). When my head teacher found out about my sh, I no longer had to take off my bracelets.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#5 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 20th 2010, 09:24 PM

I used to always wear a full length jumper to do P.E even in the summer, which i know is a right pain but i was self conscious about my arms, too. I also always wore trackies, but pretty much every girl did in my school. So how about asking to wear a full length jumper? Just wear one anyway, i'm sure other girls wear it too.

Also as for excuses - i always used 'i'm on my period' or 'i hurt my foot', a lot of the time i'd just purposely leave my kit at home. I think the teachers get a bit more leniant once you get into years 10 & 11, at least it was like that for me - so i always left my P.E kit at home or bunked and went to the school library. I only did P.E a total of 2 times during year 11 which i know is bad but the teachers didn't really say anything to me.

You should also speak to the head, or perhaps get a note from your doctor excusing you from P.E for a while?

Good luck

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 21st 2010, 09:57 PM

wear your own clothes, or at least an under-shirt or jumper OR talk to your head of year and get excused from the lessons. are you doing PE for GCSE? because if you are this could be slightly tricky.

if neither of those work, just skip the lessons or make up more excuses/go to the school nurse sick in the lessons.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 21st 2010, 10:05 PM

You should be able to talk to your head of year or school adviser and be excused from the lesson. Or talk to your PE teacher privately, and ask to be allowed to wear alternate clothing or not to do PE at all.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 24th 2010, 06:57 AM

Long-sleeved tops are great for that [or trackpants for leg issues] i use rugby jersey to hide them, and a lot of girls just wear them so I dont look out of place anyway.
You could also wear a watch or something.

HOWEVER these should not be alternatives to seeking help, by telling you how to cover up I would be 'encouraging' you and I do not want to do that. But while you have the scars, you will have trouble hiding them and that is ashame. But you can get your mum to talk to the school or something.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 24th 2010, 07:34 AM

Like others have said wear a long sleeved top under the PE top like a under armour those are good.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 24th 2010, 06:57 PM

I dont take it as a gcse. And we're not allowed to wear our own clothing.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 24th 2010, 08:19 PM

Do you not have like a school rugby top? If you do then just wear that all the time.
I would also recommend talking to your head of year about it, it can be quite helpful and I'm sure they would try to do something about it.

Another alternative would be to make up more excuses, or just not bring your kit to school, in the end most of the higher-ups of the school don't see PE as a massively important lesson so there wouldn't be much harm in doing this.

Out of all the suggestions I would recommend speaking to your head of year about it, then you'll be genuinely excused from the lesson.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - January 24th 2010, 08:25 PM

Hey Jess,

So yeah, I've definitely been in that situation before. There are a few options you have and I do realise they aren't really great but I guess you have to just put up with it because unfortunately this is one of the consequences when you self harm.

Ok, so I know you said you aren't allowed to wear non uniform items and neither am I. What I did though was talk to my head of year and she told the P.E teachers I was allowed to wear whatever I want. If your head of year or a mentor or someone else in school is a decent person they will most likely want to help you out because lets face it, they would rather you did P.E and in the end wearing something different won't hurt them. What I do is I wear my trackie bottoms [which everyone is allowed] and then I wear a long sleeved top under my tshirt so that I still have on my P.E kit, I just have something extra underneath too to make me feel more comfortable. You might also want to try experimenting with other cover-ups too such as makeup, bandages, sweat bands etc.

Another option you have is to not do the lesson. Now, I do a few different things to get out of my P.E lessons and I know it's not right to avoid them but if you have no other options then it's ok. Usually, I go and see my mentor during P.E lessons because she understands that I don't want to do it so she schedules our meetings for during it. School would rather I missed P.E than an important lesson such as maths or science so that's all good. Another thing is going to see your head of year during lessons. Sometimes when I get upset or stressed about it I go and sit in the pastoral office with my head of year and she doesn't mind. Lastly you can do the whole "I left my kit at home" or something like that. It may get you a detention but sometimes you just have to take it, I know I have done lots of them for that reason

Anyway, I hope this helps a little bit <3

PM // VM

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Im guessing some of you have been here before. PE >.< - February 7th 2010, 02:34 PM

My friend in high school had the same problem and what she did was speak with our guidance counselor. She explained how self conscious and uncomfortable she was and they were really understanding. Also I would recommend talking to them just because they are a great source of support My friend was able to wear a plain white long sleeved shirt under her top and she did her physical education in a smaller group lesson where kids who couldn't fit it into their schedules met. Hope this helps

Closed Thread