TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: Which one should I pick?
A 0 0%
B 4 57.14%
Other 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
friendable Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Elizabeth

Transferring colleges... - January 28th 2010, 06:41 AM

I'm sorry this is probably going to be long but I don't know how to shorten it much.

I've been going to a community college and living at home with my parents since last semester. It definitely wasn't my first choice, but finances prevented me from doing much else at the time. I just looked at my credit hours and realized that I can graduate by the end of 2010. This has forced me to really think about what I want to do after I get my AA. I have a scholarship that allows me to go to any public university in Florida without paying anything for tuition. These are my choices:

A) Transfer to the in-state university I picked pretty much just because it's the one I dislike the least. I don't really know that much about it, besides that it would be close to free for me to go there and it would get me away from my parents and this town I've never liked. I've always wanted to go to college far, far away though and two hours away from my parents and maybe 30 minutes away from my aunt and uncle isn't much.

B) Screw my scholarship that's been making me miserable with its lack of options and move to Massachusetts to live with my aunt and go to a college I actually like. She's offered to help me pay for school but doesn't really have a lot of money, and neither do I, so I'd almost definitely have a significant amount of debt by the time I graduated. But I could live with my aunt and uncle for free, and in case anything went wrong with that, I could also live with my grandma for free. I wouldn't need to worry about working full time to pay for rent, like I would with option A. This is the most complicated and expensive option, but I think I'd probably like it most in the long run. But is it stupid to go into debt for the same degree that I could get for free if I went with option A, just because I'm sick of Florida and my family's drama? I'd also be walking away from my dad's family's crap and straight into my mom's family's, and my dad's family is the passive aggressive, gossipy kind. My mom's family is more confrontational and occasionally violent. Not sure how I could deal with that.

Sorry I only seem to post when I need something, but I could really use advice here.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Transferring colleges... - January 28th 2010, 12:44 PM

i decided on other. my opinion would be is flip a coin. A is head and B is tails and flip the coin what ever it lands on is your decision. its what i do for deciding any major decision.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Transferring colleges... - February 7th 2010, 02:28 PM

You should go with a school that fits for you. If you wind up going to a school tat you're only luke warm about or actually dislike your chances of being happy there or doing well there are significantly decreased. And as to cost, once you get to Mass there are jobs on campus you could get and off campus as well. Without rent and with student loans and a job, you could make it work if you really put forth the effort and I think it will pay off in the long run. Hope this helps

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AdamWest Offline
Cool Dude
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Transferring colleges... - February 7th 2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
You should go with a school that fits for you. If you wind up going to a school tat you're only luke warm about or actually dislike your chances of being happy there or doing well there are significantly decreased. And as to cost, once you get to Mass there are jobs on campus you could get and off campus as well. Without rent and with student loans and a job, you could make it work if you really put forth the effort and I think it will pay off in the long run. Hope this helps
I totally agree with this. College is a real hit or miss a lot of the time from what I hear, so don't be afraid to shop around or take time off to find the right place...

Love life, reading, TV and music.. oh yeah and old Nickelodeon re-runs! Cheap books for any struggling college kids! http://www.booklookr.com
  Send a message via AIM to AdamWest  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
friendable Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Transferring colleges... - February 9th 2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks, people. The financial situation changed though, and at this point I'll be lucky if I get to go to the in-state school. I pretty much don't qualify for anything in financial aid except loans because of my parents' income, but they're not actually helping me pay for anything because my dad would rather spend all of his money on total garbage and my mom blindly gives all her money to him. I wouldn't sound so bitter if my dad hadn't promised me years ago that he would pay for everything, I just needed to get in. Oh well.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Transferring colleges... - February 9th 2010, 02:14 PM

I was recently in a very similar situation to you. I went to a community college for two years and obtained an AA degree. And then I had to decide what to do next. I could take the easy route and go to school in California. Or I could live my dream of moving back to the east coast by myself. Even though it would be thousands of more dollars. About $10,000 more a semester actually.
I know money can be a big scary thing. But I think if you don’t go, you will always wonder if you could have made it. You can always go and try, and if you really can’t make it work, you can always go back home. I really think it is worth the risk. You can always work to pay off your loans, I know at my school there are TONS of on-campus employment opportunities that fit really well with student schedules.
I just don’t want you to think because you don’t have the money you can’t do it. Because there are things like loans out there. And I know loans aren’t fun to think about and they can be stressful. But think about how different your life will be if you go to the school you want to. It could be life changing, and all that money could be really worth it in the end.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#7 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Transferring colleges... - February 11th 2010, 03:28 AM

Do what is right for YOU.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

Closed Thread