TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: What would you do after high school?
Join the armed forces 0 0%
Go to college 16 100.00%
No idea 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fisk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Post Life after - February 8th 2010, 06:16 PM

So i have never been really good at anything or really enjoyed doing anything and i could use some guidance and structure so i have been thinking very heavily about joining the military if i could Army Rangers but that brings up my main problem with joining is that i am not in shape at all im out of shape and i know it but i don't think going to college would be a wise choice for me right now because i have no idea what i wana do and like i said i need some guidance what do you guys think are any of you currently in the military?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
iDream Offline
Cartoon Junkie
Average Joe

Name: Kimberly

Re: Life after - February 8th 2010, 06:53 PM

I'd suggest going to a community college and taking classes to go toward general education. I know so many people who went into the military fresh out of high school because they didn't know what they wanted to do with their lives, and when they come back to town to visit it's always the same thing; they either think they're hot shit and brag about all the ways they're able to kill people, or they're miserable and wish they never joined. I'm not saying it's like that for everyone, and if anyone here is in the military and is reading this I'm not dissing on it, but this is what I've seen from different people over the past three years.

Right now, I have absolutely no clue what direction I want to go in life, but I'm in college and it's keeping me busy and I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. Just keep in mind that you're still young and that you really shouldn't rush things. Take it easy while you still can! lol

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fisk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Life after - February 9th 2010, 02:02 AM

hey thanks for the advice i think i will take awhile off before i make a decision besides i need to lose some weight before it would even be a posability in my mind. I hope you figure out what you wana do =)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
iDream Offline
Cartoon Junkie
Average Joe

Name: Kimberly

Re: Life after - February 9th 2010, 02:22 AM

Thank ya! :3

But be careful with taking time off(here I go again, sry). My older sister decided she wanted some time off to relax and she never did anything after that; never got a job, never went back to school. She just spent all her time playing video games and adopting cats(she has 8, it drives me crazy). And she still lives at home when I've been out since before I graduated. lol I'm not saying you're gonna do that, but just... be careful. It's like an extended summer vacation, and we all know we never really want to go back to school.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Life after - February 9th 2010, 07:05 AM

Go to college or university because not many people know exactly what they want to pursue and many that do end up changing their focus. First-year is simply about a) not being weeded out and b) taking general courses to see what you like and dislike. If you want but I didn't bother to take one second to look at it for good reason, go to a community college. Depending what you pursue you can transfer to a university or college and go from there.

For the Armed Forces, in high-school, one of my cousins was the kid who you'd look at as making pure and utter hell for all the teachers and sometimes for the students. He's several years older than I am but we attended the same high-school and when I told one of my teachers who he gave a hellish time to every day I was his cousin and showed a photograph of the two of us, she looked as if she wanted to jump out the 3rd-story window.

My cousin decided (or maybe his parents helped him I'm not sure) to go to the US Army. Now, other than being incredibly muscular, he's changed, he's a lot more respectful, more sensible, etc... . There are some courses you can take at the army, such as math, science, law, history, psychology, etc... from what I have been told so you could do both; go to the army, get a nice big bundle of cash then go to college or university. Or, you could go to university or college and not the army.

Either way, get more education and go to university or college. If you really wish to do so, go to a community college if what you wish to do requires a specialized certificate but if not, go to college or university. You won't succeed in the job market if you don't unless you start your own business and make it big.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Katelyn Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katelyn

Re: Life after - February 9th 2010, 02:50 PM

College and university are good, but I do wish that I had possibly taken a year off. Coming to university at 17 was really young and made it difficult being away from home and living in a big city. College and university is a great way to go, because it gives you time to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your lives !

Sometimes in our lives we all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

All you need is love
&
Love is all you need

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Life after - February 9th 2010, 04:42 PM

I personally believe that you should go to college, as you need college for pretty much everything right now. Then after that you could consider going to the army. My best friend went into the army before going to college and now she doesn't want to go to college.

Good luck with your choice
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Life after - February 9th 2010, 06:31 PM

I put go to college - but after that I'm planning on Joining the armed forces. I just want to have a few certificates on my back before I go.

I'm also thinking about getting a geography degree and then going into the forces as an officer.

Going into the forces with some grades or a skills based qualification is better than going in with nothing as you won't have to work up the ranks so much.

Be sure to look on any military websites under the careers section as there is always plenty of information given.

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

Closed Thread