TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Your dream career (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t37223-your-dream-career/)

ThePunkAlien February 11th 2010 09:02 PM

Your dream career
 
Okay, now I'm going to tell you guys something completely contradictory to what your parents, teachers, hell - a lot of adults tell you... "give up on your dreams, become realistic" - that's nowhere near the truth or a good thing to have in your mind.

I'm a nowhere guy. Orphan. Small town suburban. High School freak. My dream was always working in Hollywood. Especially with my dream company - Warner Brothers.

At twenty-one years old, through never giving up and always giving my all. 110%. I'm an intern at Warner Brothers, close contacts with the executives at one of the production companies on the back lot. And I'm the friend of an academy award winner's son (in special effects). We are currently working on a script together that he is more than dedicated to trying to get it made. We've already got Fred Dekker possibly giving it a look over.

I was the guy that had a lot going against him throughout life. But, I held on and my dream is becoming a reality.

I might go homeless for a while, hell - everyone does. Green Day lived off of potato chips & Batman himself Christian Bale even fell into the hole. In a documentary about Green Day the one thing that stuck out about them - and everyone else who is now doing what they love & getting paid for it - they never took no for an answer, never even saw the notion of the word. Persistence is key.

So all that crap - yes, it's fucking crap - your parents (some) and teachers - tell you about growing up and giving up on your dreams... don't! Go after it, work towards it, never take no for an answer... because if you DO that... the world is your playground. You can do or be anything you want to be in this life if you want it bad enough. I just feel like a lot of people are given the wrong message by society to grow up and stop dreaming, that's how you lose - that's how they lost. If you believe in something, go after it - now that is what adults should be telling you... take it from somebody who's on his way to making it, some of it might be luck - but I put myself in the position for it to happen and it can and will happen to YOU too.

Seize the day.

Zyzz February 12th 2010 12:05 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
I totally agree with you on this Josh.
And congrats on getting your foot in the door at Warner Bros.
I know i wont give up my dream. I want to become a professional magician. And I'm currently setting up a routine for stage magic. and i got a routine already made for close-up/street magic. And if i do go homeless in the process it wont bother me a lot because i will be following my dream. and one of the magicians that i look up to only had a dollar or something to his name. he could either by a bagel and eat. or buy a deck of cards and he bought the deck of cards and started busking. And now he is famous in the underground magic community.

sonic February 12th 2010 12:12 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Hey, Thats great about what your doing!!

Ive always wanted to be either an aircraft Engineer or a Nurse, Sounds silly, Especially the aircraft one besause Im a girl and apparently I cant do that. The other big reason why people keep telling me not to do it is because Im not qualified. But to me that doesnt matter, In July Ive been accepted into certificate in Mental health, First step to becoming a nurse :)

losing touch. February 12th 2010 02:41 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
i'd love to be an actress. i think it will always remain just a dream though.. but who knows.

Algernon February 12th 2010 02:55 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
A linguist across many countries. =) Or some kind of psycologist.

northerngirl February 14th 2010 11:56 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
My dream (though it's just a dream) is to sing opera. :blush:

Ghost On The Highway February 16th 2010 08:59 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
My dream is rather out there and entirely too romantic, but I think it's beautiful in its own way. I would love to live in a small, comfortable home in the mountains, with a wife, maybe a kid or two, and a few dogs. To be free from all the greed and "progress" and to create -- art, photography, writing, etc. Maybe some geology/conservation as well.
Basically a contemporary Galen Rowell/John Muir.

noise94 February 16th 2010 09:11 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
I want to be a successful journalist.
And no way am I giving up that dream. :)

St.Vincent February 16th 2010 09:57 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
I want to design robots and electronics, interfaces and medical equipment--so basically being smart enough about the computer science and engineering behind it, but being fundamentally a designer.

Gingerbread Latte February 16th 2010 10:00 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
I want to be a toxicologist. This is a sort of realistic dream because it's one that I believe I could actually make happen.

However, my ultimate dream is to own my own wildlife park and if I ever get enough money I'll do it.

Prozac February 16th 2010 10:28 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
I am going to be a successful artist. :D

her_beautiful_mistake February 16th 2010 10:36 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
I want to be a doctor. I'm half way through my first application. If I don't get in this year, I'll try again. I might try for a third time. But you know what? After three goes I would do a different degree. Because eventually I'd have to accept that I'm not what medical schools are looking for and find something else that I would enjoy. I don't buy this 'never give up on your dreams' shit because quite simply, some people are not cut out for their dreams. There are a number of people at my school that will never get into medical school even though they want it really badly and to tell them to never give up because they might get there eventually just is not fair on them. To tell someone that can't really draw that they have a chance at being an artist isn't fair. Life doesn't always work out the way we dream it will. But that doesn't mean you can't still love what you're doing.

Yale February 17th 2010 11:55 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
Psychology for me, and I know I'll have to do a lot to get there. However, it'll be my life. I do wanna do this =p

anony mouse. February 18th 2010 02:02 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
My dream is to be a psychologist WITH a doctorate/phD working in the criminal justice system.

l0stCause February 18th 2010 02:45 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
tier 1 combat operative for the US government

no.ordinary.dreamer February 18th 2010 03:30 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
I want to be a psychologist and recently i have started to doubt myself but i read this and I am NEVER going to give up on my dream or doubt myself ever again

I also copied and pasted that post into an email to one of my friends because I really wanted to share that message with her.

Thank you for that message and im glad you are reaching your dream!!

Elizabeth February 18th 2010 02:32 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
My parents aren't too happy with my dream job of teacher. They don't think that it is the best choice and that I could make more money. However, they will support me in whatever I want to do.
I rather do something I love and work hard for it than to do something easy that I will hate.

Kate* February 18th 2010 06:59 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
I so needed this right now so thanks Josh.

My dream is to be a psychologist hopefully with a PhD.or PsyD and either own my own private practice or at a wilderness therapy program for teens and maybe even start my own. I'd also like to start/run a suicide hotline someday

My parents tried to talk me out of a psych degree for 19 months before finally accepting it.

Shopaholic February 20th 2010 08:12 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
An FBI agent. Or a child/adolescent psychiatrist.

MermaidMassacre February 20th 2010 08:16 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
I have a list.
Most won't happen. =/
I plan on being a Graphic Design. I know I will LOVE the job. So it is sorta my dream job.
Huge one is tattoo artist. =)

A few others:
-Zoologist
-Marine Biologist
-Marine Mammal Trainer
-Animator
-Video game designer

So between animals and art!

ThePunkAlien February 21st 2010 06:33 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadlySin (Post 329875)
Most won't happen. =/

Anything that you want to happen, can and WILL happen if you keep with it and work hard. Don't believe your teachers or parents in their "oh, grow up" logic. In College, I've especially had teachers try to drill that into our heads (part of the reason why I started this thread) - because they say it's impossible, yet... here I am - intern at my dream company and getting home work help from WB execs. Thus, whatever you want - if you want it bad enough - is yours for the taking.

her_beautiful_mistake February 21st 2010 06:39 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePunkAlien (Post 330509)
Anything that you want to happen, can and WILL happen if you keep with it and work hard.

I'm sorry but that's complete and utter rubbish.

Gingerbread Latte February 21st 2010 06:48 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake (Post 330518)
I'm sorry but that's complete and utter rubbish.

I kind of agree. Sure some people might be able to work hard and get their dream job but most won't achieve it. What about all these people who want to be famous actors? Not all of them can achieve their dream.

And people's parents only tell them to grow up so they don't waste their life on a dream that's unlikely to come true.

l0stCause February 21st 2010 06:59 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
there dream jobs and then there r realalistic goals and knowing the difference sets u up for a much happier and more successful life
i know what my dream is but since there r only about 50
tier 1 ops in the us at any given time i dout ill ever make it but im gunna keep trying and push myself to get as close to that level as i can

.Brittany. February 21st 2010 10:51 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
My dream job was to become a paramedic, but because of some knee injuries, I couldn't do it. So now my dream job is a child and youth worker.

ThePunkAlien February 21st 2010 11:19 PM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake (Post 330518)
I'm sorry but that's complete and utter rubbish.

Then explain to me how someone from small town suburbia can suddenly become and is being brought in by "the rich and the famous." I was just lucky? I don't believe in luck. I worked hard, I made my own future and others can too.

If you don't believe me, I can have the creative executive from Warner Brothers come on here. Lol.

I made it, I know others can make it too. Because I was just another nobody.

Alright, you want to know part of the secret? Work up and get the best portfolio or work experience you can in your field. Whatever it is. Then land an internship, which a college or internship programs (recommended) will help set you up with. Work your ASS off, workaholic style - impress them - keep in contact, keep your name in their head... they're gonna want to help you, hell - they're helping me. When a spot opens they've already stated interest in hiring me and I'm just 21. I took what was available through a program that got me in due to my resume, worked hard and in the end "profited" from being all that I can be. Work ethic, you prove that - you impress you're in - because not that many others have that.

I thought this wouldn't happen until 25 at least, but somehow all the steps are already there and open to me. Those gates are wide open. If anyone has any questions, because I have some sense of how I got here, feel free to ask... plus note I have mild social anxiety disorder, started off with zero contacts, and came from small town suburbia. As said, I'm a nobody - no family in the business, I'm not upper class ("you're born into it"), and prior to all of this literally knew no one.

Point is - you work your ass off, you're dedicated - you'll get ahead. If you don't shoot towards it like a heat seeking missile that nothing can blow out of the sky though (I never give up or tire or anything, I'm full force) - then yeah, you're gonna have some speed bumps. That's why persistence is KEY.

But, I guess you also have to be skilled. They wanted us to find projects (books, comics, etc.) that they could turn into films... so far my streak is 9/10 for projects that they or other companies have shown interest in and already got the rights... so it also helps that you think along, as I call it, the same "wavelength."

The point is though in documentaries of now successful people, you'll all hear family, friends and teachers commenting on one key thing that stood out, the same thing others always say about me: "he never gave up, now look at where he is."

her_beautiful_mistake February 22nd 2010 12:37 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
I wasn't saying I don't believe your story (although if I were you I wouldn't go posting about it on a teenhelp forum. I ESPECIALLY wouldn't go posting my work or the name of the company I work for, that's actually pretty daft). What I'm saying is that giving people false hope is not fair, "you can do anything you want to!" just is not true. You can't do anything you want to. If you can't create realistic dreams and goals for yourself you're not going to be happy.

Zyzz February 22nd 2010 12:51 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake (Post 330518)
I'm sorry but that's complete and utter rubbish.

ill agree with josh and say its not rubbish. For example. I have a group of friends i went to church with. they started a christian metal band. They are all from a small town in the middle of a iowa. Now only after 2-3 years they have a record label, and tour around the world. they did that all from never giving up. same with the band slipknot. come from iowa and now have a big record label and famous world wide.

i dont have a success story yet for me. But im going to be a touring magician. hopefully make enough to live well. and ive dont gigs for some people. but im working towards something bigger. if i dont give up and say my dream is rubbish then it wont happen which will kill me for not going after my dream.

Zyzz February 22nd 2010 12:55 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake (Post 330871)
I wasn't saying I don't believe your story (although if I were you I wouldn't go posting about it on a teenhelp forum. I ESPECIALLY wouldn't go posting my work or the name of the company I work for, that's actually pretty daft). What I'm saying is that giving people false hope is not fair, "you can do anything you want to!" just is not true. You can't do anything you want to. If you can't create realistic dreams and goals for yourself you're not going to be happy.

i can see where you are coming from. But i still believe that you can do anything you set your mind too. anything is possible. only if you work at it. tell me how we got all the famous people in the first place. they worked there butts off to get there. if they believed what you said we wouldnt have famous actors. or bands that are known world wide

ThePunkAlien February 22nd 2010 01:11 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake (Post 330871)
I wasn't saying I don't believe your story (although if I were you I wouldn't go posting about it on a teenhelp forum. I ESPECIALLY wouldn't go posting my work or the name of the company I work for, that's actually pretty daft). What I'm saying is that giving people false hope is not fair, "you can do anything you want to!" just is not true. You can't do anything you want to. If you can't create realistic dreams and goals for yourself you're not going to be happy.

Actually there are some things, believe it or not, that I want to be public domain. For me the audience comes in first. Screenplay wise, nothing really is posted because there would be no point in that; some segments yes - but, John Hughes handed his whole screenplays around to high school students before making the films because to him their feedback on things did count. You might remember films like breakfast club & ferris beuller. Won't do that online, not all, but - the audience counts. Their opinion matters. Especially when you want to reach out to them. Thus, I'm careful with my work, more so than most in that I don't even post on sites where other writers share their work for feedback. Lol.

Plus I'm at a production company within Warner Brothers that I'm not giving the name of, because it's not needed.

As for posting it around, I have no problem with it. I'm going to even be internet heavy years from now. Because for me the audience and people come in first; if you lose that - you lose your soul, or at least in my opinion. never forget why you get into this and for me part of it is reaching the teenage demographic. Thus, if I can help inspire somebody - even one person - to follow their dreams by my example, I will.

You can either be completely business savvy and not give a damn about your potential audience other than seeing them as money bags or you can use what you have to reach them on a more personal level. Celebrities who have reached status and don't forget the people are my inspiration and that's who I want to be like and will continue to be like.

People would state my goals aren't "realistic," yet here I am - a nobody who's on the fast track. Thus, impossible? Definitely not. Rare? Maybe. But, certainly not impossible and your odds are strengthened if you hold on & never give up. In my view the only way people can truly be happy is by following their dreams; the saddest thing a person can become is an office worker or manager who gave up early in their life and lives with regret and you wouldn't believe the number of people I've met or known in life that have did that. It's either another drone or a risk taker, from what I've seen - drones eventually fall under their regret of not pursuing their dream, but for them it's too late. Some of these are even college teachers that say, "I wish I never gave up, if there was one thing I could change - i would have held on."

Do you want to live with regret?

her_beautiful_mistake February 22nd 2010 01:26 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VNV (Post 330883)
i can see where you are coming from. But i still believe that you can do anything you set your mind too. anything is possible. only if you work at it. tell me how we got all the famous people in the first place. they worked there butts off to get there. if they believed what you said we wouldnt have famous actors. or bands that are known world wide

NO. No it is not.

Shall I use myself as an example?

I want to be a doctor. As it stands, I can't see myself in any other profession.

I have applied to medical school this year. If I don't get in, I will try again. I may try for a third time. But after three times and two gap years, I would accept that I'm not going to get into undergraduate medicine and do a different degree.

Now, after that different degree I may well try for graduate entry medicine. But after 2-4 years of straight rejections I would accept that I am not going to get into medicine and concentrate on finding another career that I will be happy in.

There are a lot of people at my school who want to do medicine but do not stand a chance. Do the teachers, when they're asked for references or predicted grades or advice, predict them the right grades they need to get into medical school if they can't achieve them? No. I've been asked my opinion before by another student on whether they could get in. My answer? No. If you don't have the right grades, the right experience, have a good score on the entrance exam, done the right activities inside and outside of school you are not going to get into medicine no matter how badly you want to. That is a fact. Telling some poor girl that she stands a chance when in reality she would get straight out rejections from every medical school in the country is just unfair.

So no, not everyone can follow their dream. Plenty of people want to be doctors but will not get into medical school. Plenty of people want to be lots of things, but are not cut out to get there. You can work as hard as you possibly can and still not be cut out to get there. Eventually, you have to be realistic about your goals. Setting unachievable goals will just make you miserable. Having a dream is fine, as long as you are able to acknowledge whether or not that dream is realistic.

her_beautiful_mistake February 22nd 2010 01:30 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePunkAlien (Post 330901)
Actually there are some things, believe it or not, that I want to be public domain. For me the audience comes in first. Screenplay wise, nothing really is posted because there would be no point in that; some segments yes - but, John Hughes handed his whole screenplays around to high school students before making the films because to him their feedback on things did count. You might remember films like breakfast club & ferris beuller. Won't do that online, not all, but - the audience counts. Their opinion matters. Especially when you want to reach out to them. Thus, I'm careful with my work, more so than most in that I don't even post on sites where other writers share their work for feedback. Lol.

Plus I'm at a production company within Warner Brothers that I'm not giving the name of, because it's not needed.

As for posting it around, I have no problem with it. I'm going to even be internet heavy years from now. Because for me the audience and people come in first; if you lose that - you lose your soul, or at least in my opinion. never forget why you get into this and for me part of it is reaching the teenage demographic. Thus, if I can help inspire somebody - even one person - to follow their dreams by my example, I will.

You can either be completely business savvy and not give a damn about your potential audience other than seeing them as money bags or you can use what you have to reach them on a more personal level. Celebrities who have reached status and don't forget the people are my inspiration and that's who I want to be like and will continue to be like.

People would state my goals aren't "realistic," yet here I am - a nobody who's on the fast track. Thus, impossible? Definitely not. Rare? Maybe. But, certainly not impossible and your odds are strengthened if you hold on & never give up. In my view the only way people can truly be happy is by following their dreams; the saddest thing a person can become is an office worker or manager who gave up early in their life and lives with regret and you wouldn't believe the number of people I've met or known in life that have did that. It's either another drone or a risk taker, from what I've seen - drones eventually fall under their regret of not pursuing their dream, but for them it's too late. Some of these are even college teachers that say, "I wish I never gave up, if there was one thing I could change - i would have held on."

Do you want to live with regret?

I haven't said this at all because you're clearly very proud of yourself and you SHOULD be, what you've achieved is great. But lets be honest here, it's not as unusual as you're making it out to be and I wouldn't have said having a goal to work an internship at production company is unrealistic at all. So you weren't brought up in a rich family with lots of connections, you were a freak in high school, so what? Most people have a similar story or worse. I've come through some pretty bad stuff, but I'm not raving about how you 'can achieve anything because LOOK WHERE I'VE COME FROM'. So yes be proud of what you've achieved because it is an achievement, but I don't think that telling people "they can achieve ANYTHING if they set their mind to it" is entirely fair. Nice, sure, but not fair. Perhaps a more appropriate message would be that it doesn't matter where you come from, you can overcome pretty much anything and it won't hold you back from giving things your best shot.

ThePunkAlien February 22nd 2010 01:32 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
You just stated:

1. Grades
2. Activities
3. Marks

In concerns to being a doctor, my argument would be... is that really what you want if you don't do whatever is needed to meet those criteria? If you are dedicated, you would spend your whole time in the library & those activities working your ass off so that you're dream can become a reality. That's what doctors in the field have done.

As said, some people don't have the work ethic and I've seen this. Work ethic would ensure making sacrifices to get the three listed above on the mark. This is where I'll be harsh... if you don't have it in you to work your ass off, make sacrifices to ensure that what you want comes in first - you should give up, because your heart isn't in it 100%. 80%, maybe. But, you gotta be 100% in it to have a shot. As said, I was a workaholic.

Internship wise, it can easily become a job as I've and others I've known have experienced in an internship program with employers either bringing them on the spot or telling them they will when a spot opens. It's all about showing your motivation, keeping in contact and becoming friends or aprentice/mentor. Once again, only if you show and demonstrate a very strong WORK ETHIC.

I don't rave about it, or mean to sound that way, I see it as normal in my eyes. natural progression. As said, if I was a singer - I'd be the guy bringing the audience up to participate on the stage with me.

her_beautiful_mistake February 22nd 2010 01:35 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePunkAlien (Post 330928)
You just stated:

1. Grades
2. Activities
3. Marks

In concerns to being a doctor, my argument would be... is that really what you want if you don't do whatever is needed to meet those criteria? If you are dedicated, you would spend your whole time in the library & those activities working your ass off so that you're dream can become a reality. That's what doctors in the field have done.

As said, some people don't have the work ethic and I've seen this. Work ethic would ensure making sacrifices to get the three listed above on the mark. This is where I'll be harsh... if you don't have it in you to work your ass off, make sacrifices to ensure that what you want comes in first - you should give up, because your heart isn't in it 100%. 80%, maybe. But, you gotta be 100% in it to have a shot. As said, I was a workaholic.

I don't rave about it, or mean to sound that way, I see it as normal in my eyes. natural progression. As said, if I was a singer - I'd be the guy bringing the audience up to participate on the stage with me.

You think that everyone could get straight A's if they put their mind to it, then? And get the score required on the entrance exam? So those that don't, just didn't want it badly enough and did not work hard enough?

Seriously. Go and say that to the people that miss their offers or aren't quite achieving what they need to be. Or the people that got 0.5 too low on the entrance exam despite giving it their everything. Bloody hell you're ignorant.

Honestly? I'm happy life has worked out for you. But feeding people rainbows and wrapping life up with a big bow is not helpful, it's not fair. You can't "achieve anything if you put your mind to it". The world does not work that way.

ThePunkAlien February 22nd 2010 01:39 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Hey, sorry you couldn't make the right grades or scores it sounds like because you seem to have gotten offended... let me ask you this though - in the majority of your time can you honestly say you focused 100% on the classes and what you needed to get done? Or did you fool around and just hope to somehow have everything there once you graduated because, forgive me, I've met A LOT of people like that. In college you have the dreaming type who says they're going to get somewhere, but aren't really focusing on it at all - kind of "I won't do anything, it'll all be handed to me" attitude; which I find kind of odd. Like people who want to be lawyers or doctors, but instead of spending time in the library studying - they're going to house parties, sometimes even the night before a test. Just saying, that's not the way.

her_beautiful_mistake February 22nd 2010 01:43 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePunkAlien (Post 330935)
Hey, sorry you couldn't make the right grades or scores it sounds like because you seem to have gotten offended... let me ask you this though - in the majority of your time can you honestly say you focused 100% on the classes and what you needed to get done? Or did you fool around and just hope to somehow have everything there once you graduated because, forgive me, I've met A LOT of people like that. In college you have the dreaming type who says they're going to get somewhere, but aren't really focusing on it at all - kind of "I won't do anything, it'll all be handed to me" attitude; which I find kind of odd.

Actually, I have better scores than what is currently required of any University in the UK... I got straight A's last year and doing the same this year.

I'm pissed off for the people who try their hardest and still have to put up with idiots like you saying that clearly they didn't, clearly they just didn't want it badly enough. Not everyone can get A's or B's or C's or even D's. No matter how hard they try. I'm really hoping that as few people as possible read what you wrote because you don't really realise how hurtful what you're saying could be, do you?

ThePunkAlien February 22nd 2010 01:48 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
You show me one example of someone like that, okay, but for the majority I've only seen hard workers make it and others who don't really try and then complain about it. For example: "I needed to get a hundred on that test today!" "What did you do night before the test?" "Hung out at a party." WTH? I say "you shouldn't have gone to the party, you should have studied" and their reaction is laughing and saying, "not everyone can focus on it all the time like that." My question is, why not? What's stopping them? Why party instead of study?

I have a friend like that, wants to be a doctor - but his motto is "every day is a weekend," he focuses on getting high and isn't graduating on time. I feel sympathy for him, because he's wanted it since we were children; but at the same time have to question what he thought would happen after spending most of his time fooling around. Then I have another friend who wants to be a lawyer and has worked his ass off and is going to the best law school in the area. I've just never met the type who studies their ass off and still doesn't get ahead.

her_beautiful_mistake February 22nd 2010 01:52 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
I know a huge amount of people like that. So just perhaps you could acknowledge that your experience is limited. There are a lot of people in this world who will not get their dreams, no matter how hard their try. Your attitude of 'clearly you didn't want it that badly, else you'd have worked harder' is just plain insulting.

Oh, and I don't think it's healthy to work constantly for prolonged periods of time. I'd go crazy if I didn't go to a few parties or out with my friends. The night before an exam you've got to be an absolute idiot, but a friday night? Fine. Celebrating the end of exams by staying out till ridiculously early hours of the morning? Pretty much normal..

Zyzz February 22nd 2010 01:58 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePunkAlien (Post 330940)
You show me one example of someone like that, okay, but for the majority I've only seen hard workers make it and others who don't really try and then complain about it. For example: "I needed to get a hundred on that test today!" "What did you do night before the test?" "Hung out at a party." WTH? I say "you shouldn't have gone to the party, you should have studied" and their reaction is laughing and saying, "not everyone can focus on it all the time like that." My question is, why not? What's stopping them? Why party instead of study?

I have a friend like that, wants to be a doctor - but his motto is "every day is a weekend," he focuses on getting high and isn't graduating on time. I feel sympathy for him, because he's wanted it since we were children; but at the same time have to question what he thought would happen after spending most of his time fooling around. Then I have another friend who wants to be a lawyer and has worked his ass off and is going to the best law school in the area. I've just never met the type who studies their ass off and still doesn't get ahead.

hey josh. Im am a one that did study my ass off and i didnt get ahead. That was in my pharmacy tech class. I studied for hours and hours. staying up late nights makeing flash cards and just doing everything possible to pass the class. i got out of the class with a D+. But its wasnt what i wanted to do.. i just took the class. But being my dream career is a magician. i know i can at least do that. because magic came naturally to me.

ThePunkAlien February 22nd 2010 02:02 AM

Re: Your dream career
 
Once again it comes down to:

1. Hard work, as keep on saying - if you want it badly enough chances or you'll be a workaholic for some time in your life. This can mean spending the majority of your time studying.

2. Skill. You either focus on the same wavelength, know what the audience wants and how to deliver, or are fascinated by your field. I say it that way because there is some skill in being a doctor or a lawyer, I'd say similar to those in the arts - they're skilled at it and that knowledge is ingrained in them because they live and breathe it. Skill in these fields would designate good marks in these classes. Take high school for example, a kid might fail history - but be in a college level math class; that kid would go on to become possibly an amazing mathematician. Should I mention how many classes Einstein failed in his life?

3. Persistence. Which is the main thing I'm focusing on. There are many talented people in this world who just give up because they don't want to risk it. College teachers can be great examples of this. Most adults say, "if there's one thing I would have changed it would be trying harder and not giving up."

Some people fit into this mold, not all do. I state skill because, I'm not completely sure, wouldn't medical and law schools be more interested in core curricula and their tests than electives? But, the one area - the one area the adults complain about later in their life with regret and most people lose is #3. They have what it takes, but they give up early in their lives and surrender what they want for another run-of-the-mill office job to only complain about it later, I feel sorry for them and my worst nightmare is becoming one.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints