TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
o0lostlove0o Offline
Trapped in a Fairy Tale.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lee - Suh.

College? - February 15th 2010, 05:39 AM

Okay, so I'm a sophomore in high school.
And it's probably early to be thinking about it, but I really feel naive when I don't know stuff about college.

So, a few questions for those who are daring enough to answer them.
- How does college compare to high school?
- What's a liberal arts college? Is it like ... well-rounded?
- Ivy league? I've heard of it, but not sure what it is.
- Is it a good idea to be considering majors in the Arts, like film, photography, creative writing, music, etc etc? Or would a more sensible major make sense?
- Any insight on college. At all.

Oh! And if there are girls who have been to an all-girls high school, and then a co-ed college, any insight on that?

Hm, if you answer any of my questions, I will be happy.
Very happy. Please help me? ^_^

[ Life ] keeps going on,
No matter how much it
hurts.
Just take a deep -- breath -->.
< Smile. >

And move on.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: College? - February 15th 2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0lostlove0o View Post
Okay, so I'm a sophomore in high school.
And it's probably early to be thinking about it, but I really feel naive when I don't know stuff about college.

So, a few questions for those who are daring enough to answer them.
- Is it a good idea to be considering majors in the Arts, like film, photography, creative writing, music, etc etc? Or would a more sensible major make sense?

Oh! And if there are girls who have been to an all-girls high school, and then a co-ed college, any insight on that?

Hm, if you answer any of my questions, I will be happy.
Very happy. Please help me? ^_^
I quoted so I could keep track of the questions

College isn't that much different than high school except there is A LOT more reading and more work, it might be harder depending on what you're taking.
It will be different if you move to campus though you'll be responsible for yourself. Professors generally don't nag you or track you down to turn your work in. Your learning is now your responsibility instead of the teachers'

A liberal arts college places emphasis on being well -rounded, but it involves a ton of paper writing and required classes that a lot of students think are pointless ( I can say that because I go to one and know from experience)

Ivy league I think has something to do with the fact that the school has been around a long time and has an excellent reputation. They are also extremely selective.

You can major in anything you want, it helps to think about future careers when picking a major, but it should also be something you like because you'll have to live with it for at least 4 years. You can always minor in something or double major.

College really isn't as intimidating as your hign school teachers make it seem, I know mine scared me then I got there and it wasn't that bad. Be ready to write a ton of papers though (that's one thing I will not miss at all)

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: College? - February 15th 2010, 05:22 PM

First, it's good you're thinking about college, but don't stress yourself out about it too much right now. Believe me, you'll have plenty of that down the road.

College is a amped up version of High School. The big difference is that you don't have anyone telling you what to do. Professors usually won't remind you when things are due, they won't walk you through every assignment, you have to learn to be proactive and go to them and keep your due dates organized.

A liberal arts college is generally smaller and more focused but not always well rounded, it would depend on the individual college. If you're looking for college on the small scale, a liberal arts college would be a good choice.

Ivy League are the super high level schools like Harvard, Cornell, etc. Basically they have very rigid and high end expectations. Not usually in most people's aims, since it's such a stressful environment.

Every major is sensible, it's all a matter of what experiences you have and what you do with it. If you're proactive and take advantage, any major can work. At first, doing exploratory studies and trying out different majors may not be a bad idea.

Also, good advice, visit every college you're considering, see them in person. It can make all the difference in your final decision.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: College? - February 15th 2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:

You will want to look at the careers you can get out of each subject major you are considering. Look at what seems interesting to you, and what you would like to do for the rest of your life! Is it varied enough that you won't get bored after a few years? Is the industry big enough that you can easily go into other jobs with little training? It needs to be something you're interested in, and it doesn't hurt if you're very good at it as well!
There are quite a few websites with career profiles etc.
SchoolFinder is a Canadian site but the career information is still relevant to the US as well.
Career Explorer (US)
Occupational Outlook Handbook (US)
College Grad (US) Very detailed descriptions here, certainly worth a look. I've bookmarked it! :P

I hope this helps.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: College? - February 16th 2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:

I find it to be much better because you can study only what interests you. It's different in that you have a lot more responsibility for your studies, so there's no teacher coming to you saying your work is late. If it's late by 1 day, depending on the course, it may lead to a grade of 0% or it may only have 10-20% deducted (weekends generally viewed as weekdays). The exception is if there is a legit. medical excuse, police report, etc... . If you're doing sciences, you're going to need to work with equipment you may have handled in high-school but later, it'll be completely new equipment.

One of the biggest differences is thinking and writing. In high-school, I had the "burger model" but in university, that's trash for essays and labs. If you use that model, then don't except a 90%, expect probably a 50%, maybe 60% if it's amazing and the TA is very generous. For labs and essays, you need to do research, not through Google but through actual databases and read and understand research articles or papers written by people with PhD's, MD's, etc... .

Also, TA's grade your work and they are at least in their 4th year, usually going for or have their Master's, and so they can mark it at their level (i.e. meaning your mark will be low) or they can be generous. This means complaining to the professor will do little to change your mark. You'll have to re-submit for re-marking but you'll have to give a detailed reason of a) what should be re-marked and b) why it should be. In other words, you're independent and you have to think a lot more and in more detail.

Quote:
Pretty much just a well-rounded college or university and may have to take many arts or humanities or social science courses.

Quote:
Ive league is the cream of the crop, the best of the best and the most prestigious. They're extremely selective and demand very high expectations from their students. For example, Harvard and Oxford are Ivy Leagues.

Quote:
I'm into sciences so for me, I'd say those majors wouldn't be good because it's hard to make lots of money unless you're extremely good. In other words, it's a make-it-or-break-it, or an all-or-none area of study and practice. If you want to study those, it think it'd be wise to have some back-up plans.

Quote:
Get used to thinking because in high-school, you find you learn pretty much just to read and write. In grade 11 and 12, you begin to learn more about specific areas but it's still the tip of the iceberg. In first-year university, it's "weeding out" so there's a very high drop-out rate in every course. Generally you're told the following: "look to your left, now to your right. Half the people will drop out or fail this course". Think and memorize if what you've got to be able to do. Also, don't be crushed if you get a poor mark in first-year as most people tend to have first-year as their worst year.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: College? - February 16th 2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:

What others have said concerning the Ivy League schools is true, they are "high-end" and some of the most prestigious universities in the US, and are very highly selective with acceptance rates usually ranging from 9-17%.

However, it isn't just a term for academically prestigious colleges. The Ivy League is an athletic conference composed of eight schools (which do not offer athletic scholarships as a rule):

Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
Princeton University
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University

The term "Ivy League" is often seen as referring to the fact that all of the schools have been around for a long time (all date back to the colonial period with the exception of Cornell, which was founded in 1865).

Some other colleges that are sometimes thought of as "Ivies" are the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of Chicago, and Duke University. This is mainly because of their academic prestige, but they are in no way affiliated with the Ivy League.

Closed Thread