TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Beth. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Qualifications for a Teacher? Masters degree? - February 16th 2010, 06:12 PM

I just wanted to cover two things which have been bothering me and concerning me.

I walked into English today, and my teacher made a comment on how a Bachelors degree is nearly equivalent to a high school diploma in the field of Education nowadays. I don't really agree even though I know a high school transcript does mean less today, because school is mandatory for the most part and more people are graduating as a result. When I entered college, I never ever thought about getting my fucking Masters. God, and I don't want to still. I think because of my major, Physical Education, they won't really expect that. Although I know if someone who has their Masters is trying to get the same position as me, I'm in gutter. But thoughts? Who has already decided their getting their Masters?

I find it funny that after English class, I walk into Math and I face an asian teacher who can't speak English correctly for his life. He makes powerpoints and there are so many mistakes with his english it's insane. Plus he can't speak it right. I really wonder how teachers like him pass through the system and get to be a college professor for gods sake. Lol. Even though it's a community college, shouldn't professors be fluent in english?!

When all your friends have come and gone,
And the sun no longer shines,
And the happiness for which you long is washed away like an ocean's tide,
When all the hard times outweigh the good,
And all your words are misunderstood,
When the day seems lost from the start
You must follow your heart,
You must follow your heart.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Qualifications for a Teacher? Masters degree? - February 16th 2010, 09:33 PM

I am currently working on my Master's, but having one is a requirement in the counseling field for almost all kinds of licensure. It sounds like you are in college, so perhaps your teacher was talking about Higher Education, not Elementary and Secondary Education. The simple fact is, in many areas it's alot harder to get a job starting out as a teacher with a Master's as opposed to just a Bachelor's. That sounds odd but there's one big reason for it: $$$. A teacher with a Master's starts higher on the pay scale and therefore the school has to pay them more. This isn't always the case, but the situation is quite common.

It is true that a Bachelor's degree is a much more common thing than it used to be (I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to a high school diploma, though), but it is still a requirement for teaching in most cases.

A better idea nowadays (in my opinion) is to get your teaching job straight out with the Bachelor's, and then work on a Master's while you are working for the school. When you finish the degree, you get a pay boost and it looks better for future jobs even if they aren't in the education field.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Beth. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Re: Qualifications for a Teacher? Masters degree? - February 17th 2010, 12:11 AM

That does sound like a good decision, to work on my Masters degree once I have found a stable teaching job. That is very true about the pay rate too, they may go for someone with the Bachelors since they don't make as much, never thought about that to be honest. And yes, I'm in college right now. Still have 3 years to go but I'm just thinking about these things. Thanks (:

When all your friends have come and gone,
And the sun no longer shines,
And the happiness for which you long is washed away like an ocean's tide,
When all the hard times outweigh the good,
And all your words are misunderstood,
When the day seems lost from the start
You must follow your heart,
You must follow your heart.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Qualifications for a Teacher? Masters degree? - February 17th 2010, 12:16 AM

Actually most teachers with a masters are not hired over teachers who only have a bachelors, because they can hire the person with the lower amount of education, pay them less, to do the same job. I know a lot of people who have a masters and have a really hard time finding a teaching job, because no one wants to pay the extra money, when they can higher someone with a Bachelors.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Qualifications for a Teacher? Masters degree? - February 17th 2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Actually most teachers with a masters are not hired over teachers who only have a bachelors, because they can hire the person with the lower amount of education, pay them less, to do the same job. I know a lot of people who have a masters and have a really hard time finding a teaching job, because no one wants to pay the extra money, when they can higher someone with a Bachelors.
This is what my Foundations of Educations teacher said! They are looking more for teachers with Special Education courses as well because of all of the mainstreaming.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Qualifications for a Teacher? Masters degree? - February 17th 2010, 03:21 PM

Fairly few high-school teachers have Master's degrees because from a business perspective, the school is faced with two options. A teacher with a Bachelor's plus their teaching certificate is paid x dollars. A teacher with a Master's plus their teaching certificate is paid x dollars plus 3000. For the school, the teachers can teach regardless and so since it's less expensive for Bachelor's degree-holding teachers to be hired, they will be hired. I had some teachers with Master's degrees but very, very few. To be specific, it was only 2 teachers who had that.

I'm thinking of obtaining at least my Master's, hopefully a PhD or PsyD but then again, if I teach, I want to do it at a university level. If you want to teach at that level, a Master's degree is suitable, however, only for first-year courses but PhD's, MD's and PsyD's I believe are preferred.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Qualifications for a Teacher? Masters degree? - February 19th 2010, 12:58 PM

It also depends where in the school system you are. Some teaching positions are so competitive, a Master's would help you get a foot in the door. Most teachers though don't benefit from getting a Master's degree.

As for the professor who isn't well versed with English, kind of the same situation, actually. Colleges, at every level, will hire those with the experience and pay rate first, over anything else, usually. If it's a big enough problem though, I suggest talking to someone about it. The school may step in and make it so his class is more understandable or let you switch out.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
Closed Thread