TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Charlotte__ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Charlotte

Colleges on the East Coast? - February 22nd 2010, 08:21 PM

so here's a little background:
I come from a Mormon family, and my parents are severely Mormon, hah. I had absolutely no choice in my college whatsoever besides going to BYU (the mormon college). My parents wouldn't even let me apply anywhere else, and as I don't have a job, I didn't have money myself to pay for applications. I have no desire to be Mormon at all, and I have no desire to go to a Mormon school, but my parents will not let me leave their church and they refuse to pay for college anywhere else. Even if I was to go to a community college near where I live, they wouldn't be wiling to pay for it, and honestly I don't want to be near home.

So i'm into BYU Hawaii, and it's a complete nazi school (curfew at 12, no boys in dorm rooms, can't wear anything above the knee, can't wear anything below four inch sleeves, and no drinking or even drinking coffee). I don't want to go there, I've told my parents this and they don't listen.

So here's my question: I was wondering if you guys know of any colleges on the East Coast, preferably in Boston, Georgetown, or the Washington DC area that have year around admission, don't require the best grades, and are possibly cheaper that $40,000 a year. Even if it's a junior college that you know is really good, that's totally fine, I'm just trying to see if I can possibly take some hold over my future here.

Thanks!

Last edited by Charlotte__; February 22nd 2010 at 08:26 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Colleges on the East Coast? - February 22nd 2010, 08:55 PM

What if you went to BYU Hawaii, got good grades there, and then tried to transfer to a school on the east coast with merit scholarship, and then took out loans for the rest?

There are lots of good schools on the east coast, but I'm not really sure how year-round admission works--most schools I know do fall and spring transfer, but I'm not really sure about all that. What do you want to study? That can help you choose what school to go to.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Colleges on the East Coast? - February 22nd 2010, 10:38 PM

You can try UMass. It is relatively affordable and the grade requirement is very lax while the education here is decent. Of course UMass is infamous for its party school reputation, but college is an affair where if you want to get the most out of it, you will work hard and fight the urge to get drunk in some weird frat house.

I will get back on you on other colleges, I am kinda busy tonight.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cather Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Colleges on the East Coast? - February 24th 2010, 10:45 PM

You got into BYU Hawaii? Wow, that's really impressive, that's the hardest one to get in to.

If you could get in there, I'd be willing to bet you could get into a lot of schools. And hey, it could be worse, instead of sending you to BYU-Hawaii, they could be sending you to Southern Virginia University, the only mormon school on the east coast, student population 700.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Colleges on the East Coast? - February 24th 2010, 11:08 PM

There are a loooot of state school you could apply to on the east coast

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Colleges on the East Coast? - February 24th 2010, 11:58 PM

There are a lot of different colleges you could apply too. Umass is definitely one to consider.

I know that New York has some state colleges that are not all that expensive.

The best way to find colleges is doing some internet searches. Google the areas you are interested in living and then google the schools in the area. I know that helped me find some good colleges.

Best of luck,

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Colleges on the East Coast? - February 25th 2010, 12:07 AM

You say Boston, Georgetown, and DC areas...But since that's a bit broad, I'm going to assume you mean you'll consider anything in between as well.

The SUNY schools aren't too bad. There's tons of them, and I can't really talk about all them and which ones are better. Look into it though!

You could also try Rutgers University, which is a gigantic school. It's in New Jersey, and about an hour (give or take 5 min) train ride from NYC. If you do look into it I would suggest the New Brunswick campus. Newark and Camden are good too, but aren't exactly on the safe side (Camden is top 5 most dangerous cities in US)..

University of Marland is also good.

As is University of Delaware.

UMASS, as mentioned above....Eh, there's alot.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Colleges on the East Coast? - February 25th 2010, 12:32 AM

The SUNY system is supposed to be really good and the research I did showed that they are not all that expensive.

Here are some of the ones I looked into:

SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Albany
SUNY Stony Brook

The last one was one I was really considering going into.

Best of luck,

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread