TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 1st 2010, 02:30 AM

Okay, I am running for Sorority President next year and one of the alumni's of the Sorority that I am in is questioning me about what to do for the Sorority. She wants new ideas and I think I have a few but I wanted to know what other people thought as far as activities and fundraisers. Don't suggest bake sales and car washes as I know they are usually overdone. And bear in mind, we are in central Florida in the US. If anyone has any ideas of what we as a Sorority could do, that would be appreciated. Just name off whatever you think of since I know you don't know what we've done already, obviously.

Please and thank you!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 1st 2010, 05:38 AM

I'll preface this by saying fundraising is my forte between the two.

As far as fund raisers, one of the fun ones that the fraternity that I was a part of did every year was a date auction. They can be alot of fun and are pure profit since you really don't spend anything to put them on. Another one that we did (which would work better if you had a "brother" fraternity) was a "Roman Jail Bail" day. We just happened to have access to Roman Soldier costumes, so for $5 and up, you could pay to have people "arrested" and taken to the "prison" in the middle of campus for anywhere 10 minutes and up depending on how much you paid. It was alot of fun, especially once people decided to try to evade arrest . The only rules we set were that you couldn't make someone miss a class or meeting. You could do it without the costumes, even regular police-type stuff works for the effect. Having girls do the arresting might even make it more fun. Again, these kind of things are pure profit.

There's always the sterorypical stuff too (like you mentioned bake sales and car washes are easy), but creativity is where it's at.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 2nd 2010, 08:03 PM

My Sorority is a small, shy sorority. Plus, I go to a small private college geared towards people with learning disabilities.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 4th 2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl X View Post
My Sorority is a small, shy sorority. Plus, I go to a small private college geared towards people with learning disabilities.
Well, my college is only has a full time undergrad enrollment of about 700, so we aren't big by any stretch.

You could always try to find some kind of sales fundraiser (Gold Canyon Candles, for example). You won't make near as much money, but if shyness is that much of an issue you probably don't have many options.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 4th 2010, 02:18 AM

Oh thanks ...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 4th 2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl X View Post
Oh thanks ...
I didn't mean to offend you. The simple fact is that to make money, you really need to be willing to go out there and talk to people. That is, unless you are lucky enough to get a rich donor or something. I suppose you could call "graduated" sorority members and ask for donations, but that still requires going out there and getting over some shyness. People don't really respond often to letters asking for donations, a face or even a voice makes a big difference.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 4th 2010, 04:59 AM

Oooh, what are you? And what's your philanthropy? It should probably be geared towards that..

Host a mixer and sell tickets benefiting whatever? Orrr go help serve food in the caf one day and find out if you guys can take the left-overs and give it to a homeless shelter? Or host a concert and sell tickets where the money would go to whatever your philanthropy is? You really do have to be specific to your philanthropy and probably get REALLY creative with it. The more creative you are, the better.

And I'm afraid I have to agree with BL - putting yourself out there, talking to people, networking, and just establishing relationships with people at your school can REALLY go along way in terms of making a name for yourself and your sorority so that when you DO try to tackle a big project, people will care.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 4th 2010, 02:55 PM

Question: What does Philantrophy mean?

And I need something small and easy to do with those with disabilities. Your ideas are good but we cannot do anything like that. I was meaning something really small.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Sorority Ideas [Girls Only Preferred] - March 4th 2010, 06:00 PM

facepainting stalls? fancy dress days? quizes?

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Closed Thread