TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your job?
Love it. 12 60.00%
Hate it. 2 10.00%
Don't mind it. 4 20.00%
Not sure... 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Jobs =) - March 4th 2010, 06:59 PM

I needed something uplifting and thought this might be fun.

First off the poll.
If you have a job how do you feel about it?

-------
If you are posting below you could answer the following:
------

What's your job?
What do you do?

And for the fun part!!!!

Any fun or humorous stories about something that happened on the job. Any fun work stories?
Just something fun. =)

------
So let me start!

Well, the reason I did this is because I have to go to work today.
I can't really whine, I work once a week for 4-6 hours.
As a vet tech assistant.
I clean cages, clean exam rooms, do laundry, etc.
I clean basically. =P
I really would like a new one, so i'm dreading school to end.
oh well i'll survive =)

As for funny story.
Well I have a few O_O

-I was moping the floor, then one of the tecs needed to take something out and asked me to open a door. She was carring a large package. I went rushing over to open the door, and I slip...on my mopped floor...Good job me.
Well she laughed!

-I was making a mail run, the post office is only a few blocks away so I was walking, there was snow and ice on the ground. So I got outside was walking down the hill and slipped. So I sat there on my butt which was getting wet while I laughed hysterically at myself as my friend drives by, and points and laughs.

-I was bringing laundry down to the basement to wash it, instead I threw it down the stairs. -_-
Smooth move to me.

-Another time I was taking out garabage, left one to the side of the room. Then tripped over it. =P

-I've called tecs mom.

-I've had dogs piss on my shoes.

Amazing job really. =P

So let's hear some of yours!

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Jobs =) - March 5th 2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin View Post
What's your job?
Research Assistant in a Medical School.

Quote:
What do you do?

Study DNA recombination mechanisms in E.coli.

Quote:
Any fun or humorous stories about something that happened on the job. Any fun work stories?
Just something fun. =)
Nah. Currently it's 100% research; trying to figure out how to figure out mechanisms and get more funding.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Jobs =) - March 6th 2010, 08:39 PM

I work at a place called Kumon - it's like a centre that helps kids with their confidence and skills for maths and english. I love working with kids and it's what I am doing. Only work Tues/Thurs after school so it's a good deal with good hours! I mark work, record work, but mainly help children with their work.

We (as in the staff) have had some good laughs together!
It is quite entertaining when someone is rummaging in the cupboard and all of a sudden you hear a huge crash!
Equally when someone is wheeling the trolley with 3 full boxes of folders on, and it drops down the stairs and everything goes everywhere...
Hard to explain because generally you have to be there to find it as funny as it is :P

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anonymous

Re: Jobs =) - March 7th 2010, 12:51 AM

I'm a page at the library.
I get to put away books, movies, CDs, etc. I also get to pull holds, straighten shelves, and clean. I'm unfortunately not allowed to kick out the annoying teenagers.

Fun stories? Well, you'd be surprised what goes down at the library. One time, we had to bust this girl for prostitution. Twice, we've kicked people out for having sex. There have been guns pulled on people in the parking lot, and a bank robber has come to hide in the stacks. We've got several drug dealers and a cop who smokes pot with the teenage mothers. There's also this family who comes in from time to time who make the entire library stink like road kill (which is actually very sad.) Once we had a little boy take a poo in the middle of the floor, and several times poo has been plastered all over the potty training books. And you'd be shocked at what kind of books come in covered in semen . . .

I know it sounds like I work at the ghetto library, but it's actually in a very nice community. We just have a few crazies who visit from time to time, just to mix things up. I love my job.

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Re: Jobs =) - March 7th 2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymity View Post
I'm a page at the library.
I get to put away books, movies, CDs, etc. I also get to pull holds, straighten shelves, and clean. I'm unfortunately not allowed to kick out the annoying teenagers.

Fun stories? Well, you'd be surprised what goes down at the library. One time, we had to bust this girl for prostitution. Twice, we've kicked people out for having sex. There have been guns pulled on people in the parking lot, and a bank robber has come to hide in the stacks. We've got several drug dealers and a cop who smokes pot with the teenage mothers. There's also this family who comes in from time to time who make the entire library stink like road kill (which is actually very sad.) Once we had a little boy take a poo in the middle of the floor, and several times poo has been plastered all over the potty training books. And you'd be shocked at what kind of books come in covered in semen . . .

I know it sounds like I work at the ghetto library, but it's actually in a very nice community. We just have a few crazies who visit from time to time, just to mix things up. I love my job.

LOL Well then....that seems like you almost never have a dull day.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Jobs =) - March 8th 2010, 10:17 AM

I have "two" jobs.

One of my job is to work in my parents' restaurant. Lousy affair, with long hours and sometimes shitty customers who I dearly wish them a one way trip to hell. I absolutely hate to be stuck there. My spring break inevitably will ended up with me rotting there. FML

Sometimes though, there are actually customers with a heart that will give me some tip. One time I overheard one pair of couple talking about what they are going to do to each other (as in, on bed) after they get back home. They are around 60s. I had to pinch myself really hard not to burst out laughing.

Another one of my job is a research assistant with a professor at UMass about the bioavailability of nanoparticles. I am learning ICP-mass spectrometry and doing some basic lab work for now. Sometimes the tasks gets repetitive, but I know my work one day will pay off.

One time the nitrogen tank in the new lab I was helping setting up was releasing the nitrogen gas buildup. It sounded like an explosion. It was my first time experiencing something like that and I screamed like a pansy and grabbed my graduate partner for dear life. It is wonderful that my graduate friend decided to forget my pansy-ness that time and not rub that story on my face later.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Jobs =) - March 8th 2010, 12:58 PM

I work in an 80s bar. So, I do bar work Or to break it down; I serve people, get treated like shit, serve some more, have drink orders shouted at me when I'm in the middle of serving someone else, serve some more, wait for everyone to finish their drinks and leave HALF AN HOUR after the bar has CLOSED[!] and then clean up....I'm not bitter or anything

Ahh, SO many funny stories it's untrue!

- This one is perhaps a tad on the mean side.... =/ A woman went to the toilet and when she came back she had toilet roll sticking out of her skirt dangling down and 'shake your tail feather' came on

- We have a revolving dance floor, one night it had broke and a woman came up to my friend and said 'excuse me but the dance floor isn't turning', my mate replied 'really? ah...have a few more drinks and I'm sure it'll start spinning for you again' xD

- Someone once asked me where the toilets were so I nicely told him they were down the stairs just as you come in....he literally went down the stairs!! I feel sorry for our cleaners xD

- One of our regulars is well into his 70s [he once told me a story which meant that it worked out he was 73] is so funny to watch. He dances around in a box shape [I'm guessing it was the style of his youth...? ] and when he's flirting with someone he changes the box and dances around the girl. SO funny.

- We [the staff] played a game where we stuck stickers on as many customers as possible without them noticing. My manager managed to get one of a girls bum and someone else's shoe! We did it the night after as well and managed to get 10 stickers on our friends back without him noticing!

- It's also funny when someone is shouting at you that they've been waiting for 'ages', giving you dirty looks and ranting away then when you actually do serve them they go really nice and even tip you!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Memories Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kat

Re: Jobs =) - March 8th 2010, 07:32 PM

I don't have a job, so I chose 'hate it' lol.
But really, the jobs I have had, are amazing.
Waitress at a wedding and baby sitting.
There's other things from volunteering, but yeah.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Jobs =) - March 8th 2010, 07:49 PM

What's your job? I'm a gap year assistant in a primary school.
What do you do? I work in a class of 4/5 year olds supporting the teacher and teaching assistant ... hearing kids read / donig worksheets / doing observations / taking kids to the playground etc etc.

I love it. There are kids who drive me insane but I get to be with people, and with kids who are adorable (most of them), which I'd far rather do than sit in an office pushing numbers like some of my friends.

Funny stories? Too many!! I can't name names clearly. Just things kids come out with sometimes. Like a teacher asked where the kids were before they came to the school (ie what nursery) they all said nurserys, and then one girl cooly said "I came from Sainsbury's" (a supermarket).
The main other thing that's always funny is when they are asked to think of words beginning with a sound. A certain few boys always proudly shout swear words at "f", "b" and "sh". Giving the excuse "but it does and my mum/dad says it all the time". Very hard not to laugh ...

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#10 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Jobs =) - March 13th 2010, 05:27 AM

I am unemployed, but the last job I had was for a marketing company that I don't think is in business anymore. I was a content writer and editor for their websites.

Now for my funny story: The three programmers there were obsessed with Mario and every once in a while we would hear the Mario one-up sound from their shared office. But one day two of the programmers dressed up like the enemies from Mario and sat on the floor, while the other guy dressed up like Mario, played the theme music, and acted out all of Level 1-1. Was pretty great to watch!

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Jobs =) - March 13th 2010, 07:07 AM

My job I feel actually lucky to have my job. I feel like it's the best one because I get paid literally to do nothing
My job is literally doing that the other "important people" don't have time to do, faxes, phone calls, copies etc. Somedays I do nothing at all and still get paid.
Some fun parts is the fact that since I'm the new one they have something about paying jokes on me and my space. I'm a patriots fan and one day they lost a game so the next day at work I had my whole space filled with chargers, they treat me like a rockie
But in a good way. I love it.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Jobs =) - March 14th 2010, 04:49 AM

I work part time at a toy store (student the rest of the time).

I am a sales associate. I can do everything- stock shelves, work guest service, assemble bikes/ power wheels, help guests on the floor, work in electronics, unload the truck.

There was a kid who peed on the floor one day in the store.

My manager often times forgets her keys in an office with a 15ft tall wall surrounding it.

One time my pants fell down while I was loading a swingset into someone's car- the hole in my belt ripped and let my pants down.

An intertube on a bike got inflated too much and it burst. It sounded a little like a gun, so when my coworker ducked for cover and we realized it was the tire, we laughed or butts off.

I got many more, mostly of idiot customers though.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Jobs =) - March 15th 2010, 01:01 AM

What is my job: Walgreens as a service clerk
What do I do: Ring up customers and sometimes stock. Get treated like shit by customers and take it only 5 days a week for like 4-8 hours.

funny stories:
I was paging for more change for the till and accidently said "IC10 on Register 1" which in the training video was used for a sexual harassment test.
Here's the text for it..
"What's that mean?"
"Oh, it's just a code Scott and I use whenever a pretty girl walks in."
It's our sexual harassment training video is where it came from. I LAUGHED so hard the first time. I almost thought I was going to get talked to about laughing at it.

you can get in trouble for this, I have seen employees fired for the same thing. A code 10 or IC10 is not a new term, and a customer or employee in the store that hears it can report you, and you will lose your job for "sexual harassment". Imagine that..

Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Jobs =) - March 15th 2010, 04:15 AM

I am a cashier in a clothing store. It's alright, I guess. It just gets boring often. I'd rather have some sort of desk job and I will be trying to get a job like that when I go to university next year. For now, I don't mind the job I have but it could definitely be better.

SUP BRO.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Jobs =) - March 15th 2010, 04:22 AM

Right now any job should be #1 priority.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
Closed Thread