TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Complete lack of motivation - March 7th 2010, 09:16 PM

So basically this year I need to get AAA. There are no ifs or buts -- I need straight A's. I guess I have an advantage in that I'm doing 4 full A2s rather than 3 which means I can afford to slip a grade in one. (I'm also doing the Extended Project Qualification this year but that won't make any difference).

This year I seem to be not even 1/10th as motivated as I was last year. Yet another weekend has gone with me doing no work. I reguarly don't hand in homework, my attendance is probably not up at the required 90% in all my classes, I have not done revision for a while.

I also don't do the extra curricula stuff I used to do. I no longer learn sign language (but the course did get too heavy to do as well as A2), I used to run the debating society but have not organised a debate or even a meeting since Christmas. I do not go to student council, I do not go dancing, I rarely book a shift at work. The only thing I do is peer supporting. And then social things outside of college too. My mother is worried that I am going through some kind of mild depression and I'm not entirely sure it's quite that bad, but I'm generally miserable, tired and demotivated.

I have yet to get an offer. I hear back from my remaining universities any time now. I have had two interviews and two rejections, this was better than I expected, but I suspect the prospect of not going to University in september and not having an offer to meet is not doing me any favours in terms of motivation.

I also fear that I will not complete my extended project in time. I have tried to drop my extended project a total of 2 times now and the answer is just a big fat no. If I don't get into University this year and have to reapply having done the extended project would give me a massive advantage. If I do get in it won't be part of my offer (I hope).

But I need to be working 5 times harder than I am right now. Results on Thursday will probably show that I have slipped since June (I got AAAA at AS). I just don't know how to drive some sense of motivation into myself.

I did make a revision timetable but I did not stick to it, ffs I didn't even do the first day's work, so I might update it and give that a go again. Other things I can think of is introducing a 'bed time' of say 10:30-11:00pm for myself so that I'm not so tired the next day that I can't concentrate. I'll also make sure that I try to attend ALL classes, and defintley do not miss any Chemistry or Maths lessons (hellish to try and catch up).

Any other suggestions on how I can try and claw back some kind of motivation into myself? An offer would defintley kick me into gear, but flat out rejections might slow me down even more. I have some work experience in April planned so although I'll miss 3 days of college I think it would be work it as it would motivate me (I hope!).

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; March 7th 2010 at 09:22 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Complete lack of motivation - March 8th 2010, 09:56 AM

This is exactly what happens to me during my senior year and right now as a freshman in college. I already have to force to settle on a party school (UMass Amherst, great engineering program, also great parties) because I didn't quite make it to my top choices (the cruel waitlist).

I feel the exact same way, miserable, tired, and demotivated. I feel like you might be overworked and your mental state is just refusing to take any more work. For me, since the summer of 8th grade I have not stopped once for rest, only studying and taking classes at local colleges, and at my 12th grade summer I have to work long hours in my parents' restaurant (13 hours blargh). Right now, I feel so overworked that I naturally want to avoid work. Taking some time to yourself (couple days will work fine) will refresh your spirit for more work for the time being.

My question is, what is distracting you right now? Turns out internet can sap a lot of your motivation away. When I am working I disconnect myself from the internet and put on some of my favorite background music and start the grinding process. I keep telling myself that after this I can do whatever the hell I want (usually false, as there is always more work, but whatever). That kept my recent procrastination at bay.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Complete lack of motivation - March 8th 2010, 09:31 PM

Hey Rachel,

I know how you feel in a number of ways - especially that chemistry and maths are awful to catch up on! You have awesome grades which show that you are amazingly clever.. What course are you applying for? If the uni's don't want you then they are missing out!

If I were you, I would try and get involved in the extra curricular things again. Also, is there a teacher or tutor that you could mention to about how you are feeling? Even so they just know you are struggling and could perhaps look out for you that little bit more and provide you some extra support.

Other than that, as you mentioned, try to keep going to your lessons and catch up on any work you may have missed. As for results on Thursday - you can always resit if you are unhappy with anything? Although by the sounds of it you will have done fine. Try to keep focused for the interviews - keep going for them. The better you sound/look then the more likely you are to have an offer which will then boost your confidence more.

Stay positive and PM me anytime if you need a chat,
Take care.
Anna

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Complete lack of motivation - March 9th 2010, 05:02 PM

This is happening to me this year too.
I know you work a lot harder than I do anyway and I always see you pushing for A's, when you say you aren't working as hard I know you are certainly working more than I am and more than a lot of people are.

I only need 240 points for Uni but my maths is really letting me down. My teacher went through the whole C4 syllabus in 2 weeks and expects us to know and understand it straight away. I hate this lesson and the teacher so my motivation is at 0.

I have been trying to use my Uni offer as motivation as I need 240 points. The Uni that has given me an offer is my last choice too so I am not desperate to go there. I feel I would be more motivated if my first choice gave me an offer but the interview isn't until April so by the time I get an offer it will be to late for the motivation to kick in.

Biology is my best subject and I am most motivated in that lesson but my teachers are letting me down. They keep going off on meetings or holidays and not leaving us any work to do and say we can just stay off. Also we did our coursework over a month ago and it still hasn't been marked and all she has to say is "Oh I forgot". We need to know how we did so we can do the other one if we have failed. She just doesn't care about us.

I know my results on Thursday will be bad so I am hoping that will be a huge reality check and encourage me to work along with my Uni offer.
(Hopefully it will make my biology teacher work harder too.)

2 of your Uni's haven't got back to you yet so you can still use them to motivate you. They may not have made offers yet but they haven't rejected you either. All I can recommend is focus on the future, where you want to be and what you have to do now to get there. Also if you have done worse than expected on Thursday use that to motivate you, and if you have done well you can use that to help you relax a bit more and feel less stressed.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Complete lack of motivation - March 10th 2010, 12:37 AM

Hey Rachel,
I believe the term is 'senioritis' and it hits hard the last year of high school and then again the last year of college (university)...I would know, this is my senior year and I have been completely unmotivated all semester long!

One thing i foudn to help me get back to being motiviated was to make sure that was taking regular breaks during my study time. The weather is getting more and more like springtime here, so I've planned into my study time 15-20 minute breaks every 2 hours. That way I have time ot get things accomplished, but can look forward to going out and enjoying the beautiful weather. Knowing that makes me want to hurry up and get things done so I can go outside.

I've also asked my professors to hold me accountable for turning work in a few days before the deadline. This forces me to concentrate and get things done in a timely manner. I don't have too much trouble getting to class because they start deducting a letter grade for every absence over 3....maybe try keeping track of your absences and deduct points from your grade for each absence. While the grades may not be deducted by your professor, you are hurting your grade by not going to class.

Weekends, make a deal with yourself that Friday night you can relax, Saturday you have to hit the books hard, and then Sunday you can study only half the day and enjoy the afternoon free. That's what I do. When I noticed that my weekends were flying by and nothing was getting done, I had to write a contract for myself and with myself to make sure I was using my time wisely.

And just think, the sooner you get work done, the sooner you can move on to something new.

good luck with everything,
~Anna~

"Every day is new, there are no mistakes in it yet." - Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide" -Garth Brooks
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Complete lack of motivation - March 10th 2010, 05:15 PM

Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate them.

Belowzero, I'm sorry that you're experiencing this too Let me know if you find a cure! I don't think I've overworked myself, I literally do nothing. It's a problem. Hope things improve.

Anna, I've applied to do medicine. I should hear back either next week or the week after, very soon anyway. So nervous . I actually had both my interviews in January, so I'm just waiting for their final decisions now. I have thought about telling my personal tutor but I don't know what it would achieve, she's very nice and all but yeah ... I know the problem and my mum does, don't think the college could help me anymore than my mum and myself. Resitting is an option yes and I have not missed any classes (so far, hahaha) this week. If results are terrible I might just to to the pub at lunch tomorrow though!

Rach, I'm thinking the same as you that doing badly will give me a much needed kick up the arse. And then doing well will probably motivate me too. So yeah either way it should help some. At least you have an offer lol! I'll keep my fingers crossed for your top choice. I'm really shocked at how bad your school seemed, I thought my college was bad! We've been doing core 4 since mid-january and are on the last topic now. It's solid and I hate maths this year

anya_bananya, ooh too anna banana type usernamed people have posted in this thread now! Hehe moving on ... senioritis sounds about right! It's strange because you'd have thought you'd be more motivated in your final year, last push and all. Thank you for the advice, especially with breaks, Ithink thats important. With the weekends I might do it a bit differently, I'll say that EITHER friday or saturday night I will have off from like 5.30pm, then I work all day saturday or sunday, do a small amount the other day (like max 2 hours) and have the rest off, or just take the other day off all together. Having days off is important for me lolol.

So yeah thanks again, I'm going to be trying harder from now on.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Re: Complete lack of motivation - March 10th 2010, 09:14 PM

Ooh, medicine is really competitive :/ I know someone who was applying who got rejected from Leeds and Sheffield, then accepted by Cambridge! I guess it is just the nature of the course. But try as hard as you can and keep going to your lessons and hopefully it will work out.

To be honest, I don't think anyone is looking forward to results! As others have said, use them as a motivation to work some more. And as for C4, use the rest of the time to go over it and get it fully in your head so you are completely prepared.

Take care.
Anna

PS - it must be because anna banana people are so cool :P

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Complete lack of motivation - March 12th 2010, 12:46 AM

I agree Anna!!!

~Anna~

this is just too weird, I feel like i'm talking to myself but i know I'm not...heh

"Every day is new, there are no mistakes in it yet." - Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide" -Garth Brooks
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
Closed Thread