TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Rejection Getting Me Down - March 11th 2010, 01:35 AM

So, I had a job up until the summer and I have properly been looking since around October/November time for a new job.
Anything to do with customers and seeing people daily.

Its really getting me down at the moment as the only replies I get.. if any, are that saying I dont have the experience, but good luck with the job search.

I had 1 interview but it was commission only working 46 hours a week! Without an hourly rate of pay that was just too risky, so, I turned the job down. Now I wish I had taken it!
I applied for loads yesterday including enquiring at my local Police station as its actually something I have always wanted to do.
They told me that they'll contact me when there is an event on to put my name down to training..

All well and good, but that might not be until next year.. Its just really getting me down, I feel rejected and I feel like scum of the earth walking around with no job its such a waste of my life right now. A time I am ment to be enjoying wasting my money going out with friends..

Anybody else in a similiar situation/has been?
Thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Rejection Getting Me Down - March 11th 2010, 08:14 PM

Hey Dan,

It's a hard situation to be in and I feel for you, I know a friend who is stuck in this situation at the moment. Do you mean a job like in a shop or a different one? If so, could you volunteer in a charity shop? I know it might not seem like much fun but do it for one or two months and you can get experience - it would then mean that shops are more likely to hire you if you have previously worked in the retail. Although, voluntary work in all areas is good because it will gain you experience and make you look like a much better candidate. If not retail, what other industries do you particularly have in mind?

Keep waiting until the police training comes up alright?
Take care.
Anna

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Rejection Getting Me Down - March 11th 2010, 10:06 PM

There are paying jobs out there. I was trying to find one at something to do with customers but no such luck. I've volunteered a lot, in fact, much of my resume is volunteer work so I wanted some paying work. Eventually, I thought to look elsewhere and if you look at the restaurants, whether it be a fast-food place or an actual sit-down and eat restaurant, I've found it's easier to get employed there. It's very hard work no matter what you're doing, so much so that in the kitchen we needed many breaks as we were covered in sweat, various foods, sometimes burns or other injuries and so forth. I wouldn't apply to family-run restaurants even if you speak their language because they may not have enough money to pay you so go to other places but going to the fine-dining ones probably isn't good unless you have lots of cooking experience, been to culinary school, etc... . You could also be a waiter and get some nice tips.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Rejection Getting Me Down - March 12th 2010, 12:30 AM

Thanks you 2 Yeah I mean a job in a shop, infact any shop with customers!
Cant really do voluntary work as I really need a job to pay rent at the moment.
But, I'll keep looking! I might start looking at fast food, its just the perception everybody has on people working in fast food puts me off.. everyone looks down at them. But yeah, im desperate!! I'll look at supermarkets too, they employ alot of staff and it changes weekly so they said last time I rang them..
I'll try ringing them tomorrow

Just an update - Applied for loads of jobs few days ago.. 1 reply so far.. commission only, they are the only ones even bothering to reply!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Rejection Getting Me Down - March 12th 2010, 09:32 PM

Maybe just go for a commission one! If they are offering may it is the right thing for the moment. Keep looking and i'm sure you'll find one soon.

Chin up!
Take care.
Anna

Closed Thread