TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Got It All Now
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Dropped a course, feeling down - March 11th 2010, 02:55 AM

So after my first semester of university, I have determined that I am not as smart as I thought I was. Both semesters, I have had to resort to dropping classes, well last semester was because I got H1N1 but that's not the point.

Yesterday, I found out that I failed my Calculus II midterm. I talked to my professor, and he told me to withdraw because my midterm was worth almost 45% of my final grade.

I am just depressed because I feel like a failure and that I have given up. I know I needed to do it, so my GPA wasn't effected. I am stressed to the max, because if i don't get my GPA up, I wont be able to come back next year.

Sigh, Anyone have any advice on what I can do? or how I can make myself feel better? Any ever been in my situation? I

I really wanna go into education, but how can I teach, if i am a failure?
  Send a message via MSN to NeverFeltThisWay1991 Send a message via Yahoo to NeverFeltThisWay1991  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TryToLiveFree Offline
With victory comes sacrifice
Average Joe

Name: crystal

Re: Dropped a course, feeling down - March 11th 2010, 04:11 AM

The best advice i can tell you is don't worry about the dropped class, my friend failed her calc exam and her GPA was effected. Just be happy that GPA wasn't effected. Now, focus only on the classes that you have now. My college offers free touring(IDK about yours) which i find very helpful especial when it comes time for exams and things. Maybe ask the professor to give you an idea of what to study. Always go home and review what you went over in class. Never be afraid to ask if something doesn't make since(i'm always told that-thats why i repeat it)

Your not a failure!!!

[SIGPIC]

Some say the world will end in fire Some say in ice
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire
But if it had to perish twice
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great And would suffice.
-- Robert Frost--

(#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Dropped a course, feeling down - March 11th 2010, 07:31 PM

I can promise you now, you aren't a failure. The fact that you have got this far shows instantly that you aren't a failure. Only the cleverest people get to university - be proud of yourself.

Don't take up anymore than you can deal with. If you can't cope with lots of classes then don't do it.. Otherwise your other classes may be effected and it would probably be better to concentrate on the others rather than let the other get you down. Could you have a chat to your tutor about it? Tell her that you are struggling and ask if she can do anything about it, or let you know about someone who can.

There is nothing to be ashamed of for admitting you need some help, everyone does at some time in their life.
Take care.
Anna

(#4 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Dropped a course, feeling down - March 11th 2010, 10:20 PM

You're certainly not a failure. University is not easy to adapt to right away. Statistics have shown that the average student's grades tend to drop 10-15% during the transition from high school to university. It is not uncommon and I have heard stories like this happen to even the smartest students, for a variety of different reasons.

First year of university is the "weeding out" year. Colleges and universities tend to over-enroll because ultimately, these educational institutions are a business and want your money. By second year, a substantial portion of the student population has already dropped out. Don't allow yourself to be one of these students. Achieving high grades in any type of educational environment is not all about intelligence. Effort plays a huge factor, don't forget that.

If you realize that you're having difficulty with a particular subject, go the extra mile to receive help. Talk to your professors, TAs, other students in your classes, or go see a tutor. All colleges and universities offer some sort of tutoring system that is often free-of-charge for certain subjects. Use the resources available at your university because there really are so many available, especially for first year students.

Remember that the change from high school to university is undoubtedly a gradual process. If your dream is to teach, stop at nothing to get there. A failed course will certainly not hinder your chances of becoming a teacher one day. Focus on your strengths; things that you enjoy doing.

Good luck.

SUP BRO.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dropped a course, feeling down - March 12th 2010, 11:24 PM

You're not a failure and I can tell you this for a few reasons. I'm in third-year university and I've dropped courses along the way because I did pretty piss poor in some big tests. I've also failed some tests or gotten very low marks on some tests. Does it suck? Yes, it sucks a lot, sucks the big one. However, my GPA isn't in the shitter, it's around a 3.5 because I've been able to look at the big picture and keep pulling myself forward. The test is done, it's over, you can check it over to see if there were any errors in adding the marks or protest certain marks but even then, it's just one test. It's also just one course and you'll do many other courses in the future years so this one won't matter, it's insignificant to feel bad about dropping it because think about the alternative; you don't drop it and you kick your GPA in the nuts or the ovaries. Dropping it is better and allows you to move on without an affected GPA.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Got It All Now
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Re: Dropped a course, feeling down - March 13th 2010, 06:49 AM

Thanks everyone... I have appreciated every comment.
  Send a message via MSN to NeverFeltThisWay1991 Send a message via Yahoo to NeverFeltThisWay1991  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Dropped a course, feeling down - March 13th 2010, 08:01 AM

That's okay, just stay strong alright?
Things will change.
Take care.
Anna

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Dropped a course, feeling down - March 15th 2010, 05:15 PM

I dropped a class both semesters this year as well, I found that I couldn't handle the work load and that instead of putting myself in a situation where I wouldn't meet the GPA that I needed to, I would drop a course. I definitely didn't feel that great about it, and I know it's going to mean I have to make up these classes in the summer at some point, but I mean it's not something to worry too much about it a lot of people end up dropping courses for a variety of reasons. You're not a failure, it's a very common thing to experience in university.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

Closed Thread