TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fall to romance Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

I'm failing? I don't fail! - March 20th 2010, 04:37 AM

This is just fantastic. I'm in a psychology class with a teacher who put a majority of the points into this absurdly useless thing (basically online flash cards that we have to spend HOURS on every day on top of our other homework, even though the cards are worded so confusingly and are so off topic that they're useless). He also loves to talk about himself instead of teach. And sure he'll tell you about what's on the midterm, but he's so vague about it that it doesn't matter! So for the midterm, I studied extremely hard. I knew my stuff. the test went fine until the end when he had 10 point questions on stuff we'd barely even begun to cover. And did I mention that I pretty much 86ed the online notecards? Because I 86ed the online cards, I now have an F. I would have had a C, if not higher...because, oh wait! I was getting A's and B's on the homework and quizzes. But no. Now I'm failing. I've never gotten an F before. I don't know how to deal with this....especially since I'm an English major! I'm not even studying psych for my major! but a Psych class is required for everyone. I mean, all my life I've gotten A's and B's...maybe a grand total of 3 C's. I'm a good student! I don't deal with failure well at all.

-B
--

R.I.P. my sweet baby boy. I miss you so much more than you could have ever imagined.

"There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that. . . . But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.-Gerard Way

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: I'm failing? I don't fail! - March 20th 2010, 04:49 AM

Hi there,

Unfortunately, college is much different than high school and the expectations are much greater - but I'm sure you know that. Have you considered making an appointment with your professor or TA to inquire about your grade? Perhaps you can speak to them and ask for help with your assignments/exams/etc. so that you eventually pass the course.

You're going to have your share of good teachers and bad ones. While this one may not particularly be a good one, you need to make the best of what you have. You're going to have to swallow your pride sometimes and ask for help when you need it. While your professor's grading methods may not be fair in your eyes, it is what it is and you need to cope with it.

Get through the year to the best of your ability. If you cannot pass the course, it's not the end of the world. There is always next year, and the next year, and the next year. Don't put a limit to your education. I know that, typically, a Bachelor's degree is earned in three to four years (depending on Honours or not) but you don't have to abide by that timeline. You should move at your own pace. I know people who completed an Honours Bachelor's degree in five, six, and even seven years.

If you end up failing the course, which I hope you do not, look into your other options. Talk to an academic counsellor at your school and see what they can do to help you. Perhaps there is another teacher teaching Psychology and you could request to be enrolled in that class. You always have options. Just try to make the best of the situation you're in right now.

Good luck.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I'm failing? I don't fail! - March 20th 2010, 07:39 AM

Welcome to college and university, the professors aren't going to spoon-feed you and tell you exactly what you need to know. They test your knowledge by easier questions plus understanding through harder questions that you may have not explicity covered yet. If your professor provides the class with the answer key, then see where you went wrong, otherwise talk to the professor or even a TA about what was the correct answer. For example, in one of my third-year biology courses, we'd be given data on an organism we've never studied and be asked what does the neuron do, what are the molecular mechanisms (using past knowledge), etc... . Sure it's hard but it shows whether you can memorize or if you can think outside the box and understand the concepts.

I think you're blowing this out of proportion though. It's one test so you have other chances to bring your grade up or if need be, drop it instead of fail the course.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
fall to romance Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Re: I'm failing? I don't fail! - March 20th 2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks you guys, but I'm actually in my second year of college. I'm well aware that it's different than high school.

The thing about this class is that I do fully understand what we're going over. I actually did pretty well on the midterm. The only reason why I'm failing the class is because he told us we'd have all semester to complete the online notecards but then closed off the first half of the notecards just before the midterm and made that portion worth a little more points than the midterm. However, the online notecards are possibly the most useless thing for this class. the questions are worded confusingly and the topics have nothing to do with what we're being tested on. He told us the only reason we're using the online notecards is because he writes them. (He also helped write the brand new $200 textbook, otherwise we'd be using the same one as all the other classes on campus.) Because the online notecards are so off topic and useless, I only completed two sections. so I lost out on all these points he said we'd have the entire semester to complete. On top of all that, he told us that the topics he was going over isn't covered in any other intro to psych class, that he was teaching us 400 level topics. Why? Because that's what he's taught at other (and far better) universities. He's new to my school. I'm in one of his first classes.

I'm fully aware that my incompletion of the online notecards is what caused the F. However, he wants us to spend hours every day with these pointless, off topic cards. I have other homework (I've got A's and B's in my other classes. I'm NOT a bad student in the slightest). I have a job. I don't have hours to dedicate to something so trivial. And the fact that he's put so much weight on these ridiculous notecards says that he feels they're more important than the knowledge we've actually taken from the class.

-B
--

R.I.P. my sweet baby boy. I miss you so much more than you could have ever imagined.

"There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that. . . . But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.-Gerard Way

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: I'm failing? I don't fail! - March 20th 2010, 01:52 PM

I think you need to suck it up and do the work he sets you, whether you judge it to be trivial or not, he is the lecturer. If you don't do the work, you can't really complain about a poor grade. This sort of thing will happen time and time again throughout your life. I don't think you have anything to complain about other than the he closed off the notecards earlier, which you could contest, but in fairness he would be right in asking why you had done so little work by that date. Whether you judge it trivial or not, that is the work you have to do, you know it's worth a lot, so you need to do it. Or accept that you'll fail the class.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: I'm failing? I don't fail! - March 20th 2010, 03:52 PM

No, if he said the deadline was something, and then changed it--that's bullshit. I would definitely complain if that happened to me. But otherwise, yeah it sucks--some professors have really weird ideas about how learning ought to happen, and you kind of have to put on the shit eating grin and get it done.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I'm failing? I don't fail! - March 20th 2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall to romance View Post
The thing about this class is that I do fully understand what we're going over. I actually did pretty well on the midterm. The only reason why I'm failing the class is because he told us we'd have all semester to complete the online notecards but then closed off the first half of the notecards just before the midterm and made that portion worth a little more points than the midterm. However, the online notecards are possibly the most useless thing for this class. the questions are worded confusingly and the topics have nothing to do with what we're being tested on. He told us the only reason we're using the online notecards is because he writes them. (He also helped write the brand new $200 textbook, otherwise we'd be using the same one as all the other classes on campus.) Because the online notecards are so off topic and useless, I only completed two sections. so I lost out on all these points he said we'd have the entire semester to complete.
If he changes the deadlines, it's only fair to notify people, whether it be by e-mail, online postings or simply mentioning it in lecture. If he doesn't do any of those, then it's not really fair.

Quote:
On top of all that, he told us that the topics he was going over isn't covered in any other intro to psych class, that he was teaching us 400 level topics. Why? Because that's what he's taught at other (and far better) universities. He's new to my school. I'm in one of his first classes.
So? A bunch of the courses I've done, the professors covered details and topics that weren't in the textbook at all and are for higher levels, however, he does simplify it just enough so it makes sense but he is far from the professor who spoon feeds anything to you.

Quote:
I'm fully aware that my incompletion of the online notecards is what caused the F. However, he wants us to spend hours every day with these pointless, off topic cards. I have other homework (I've got A's and B's in my other classes. I'm NOT a bad student in the slightest). I have a job. I don't have hours to dedicate to something so trivial. And the fact that he's put so much weight on these ridiculous notecards says that he feels they're more important than the knowledge we've actually taken from the class.
The professor has no reason to consider how hard your life may be, if you work, what your other courses are, etc... . He gives the work and it's your job to figure out how to accomodate and if you cannot, that's your problem so don't blame him for something that is your fault. What about students who are foreign to the country, who have a low GPA, who don't work, etc... . Should he consider how hard their life may be when he assigns work? No. That sort of stuff is what is done in the early years of high-school and even before high-school, which is exactly how you're acting, not in university or college. It's your problem, not his so quit blaming him for your poor grades. If you think some of the material is so trivial, then drop the course or show some responsibility and maturity for someone who is in their second year of college.

Closed Thread