TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
friendable Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Elizabeth

Paying for College - March 31st 2010, 12:35 AM

I realize this is kind of stupid, but I seriously don't have a clue on how I can pay for college. In either December or sometime next summer, I plan on going to an inexpensive in-state school that I already have a 75% scholarship to. So the tuition isn't too much of a problem. But I don't know what to do about the rest of the expenses, like rent and car insurance and food and all of that.

The short story with my financial background is that, with my parents' income, I don't qualify for anything that requires I demonstrate financial need, like grants or many scholarships. But my parents claim that they "can't afford" to help me with anything. They're kind of manipulative and I'm concerned that this is just another way to control me, by keeping me under their roof. That's not the point of this post though. I've applied for several scholarships from fastweb, none of which I've heard back from. I'm a freshman in college with a high GPA. I'm trying to find a job but having to rely on someone hiring me in order to go to college kind of freaks me out. I'll hear back from a job that I really, really want next week, but until then, or if they don't hire me, I need some other kind of plan.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Paying for College - March 31st 2010, 03:49 AM

I am dealing with the same stuff too.

I would recommend filling out a fafsa. I know you do not qualify but when you fill out a Fafsa it will list other options you have and there are other little things you might be able to get but if you do not apply for fafsa you will not know for sure what you might get. Given the fact that you don't think you will be able to get anything what could be the harm in applying for it anyways.

From there I would talk to a financial advisor at the college you want to go to. They might be able to help you figure some things out. Keep filling out things for fastweb as well.

Also a lot of college have a work study program where you work and study and it some how helps with the tuition. If need be you might have to talk to your parents or someone else about helping you get a loan.

Lastly have you thought of going to a city college before a state college? City colleges are a lot cheaper and they help get all the General Education done. I am at city because money is tight.

Don't lose hope because there are always options.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
friendable Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Paying for College - March 31st 2010, 05:46 AM

I have filled out a FAFSA and that's why I know I don't qualify for anything. I'm at a community college right now, but I'll have enough credits to graduate from it in December. Thanks though. I really should talk to a financial advisor.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Paying for College - March 31st 2010, 08:48 AM

If you can, why not live at home? It's what I do and I commute daily, so I don't need to pay for rent or food or similar things. Car insurance you may need to pay for in order to travel to and fro, or depending on where you live, you could use public transit. Myself, I use the train then a bus (our university has an amazing deal with the city bus so it saves tons of money). To give you some examples, I pay $7 for a student train pass, for which when I buy any ticket I can get a discount, the longer the tickets are for (i.e. monthly), the greater the discount. So it's maybe ~$100-120 per month. For the bus, it's $80 for the entire year and I ride for free in the city where the university is. That beats paying for parking at university because parking there is outrageous, paying for rent, food, car fuel, etc... . If you cannot do this because no buses come close enough then you may need to drive, although one of my friends takes 3 buses one-way and no trains so you can do that if need be. So look into public transit. You could also perhaps take a bicycle and bike to a bus or train stop if it's a bit far for walking distance. I don't know how the buses and trains are in Florida but in Canada, you can easily take them onto the train and buses have specialized bicycle racks on the outside for them.

Although I can drive, I don't drive unless I have exams or if there is a mess with the trains.

For food, you can really cut down on costs without having to starve yourself. Buy fresh ingredients or store-bought ingredients. Premade meals are more expensive, usually not that big and restaurants can be expensive to consistently go to. If you don't know how to cook much of anything, now is the time to learn. The lazier way of buying it pre-made or eating at restaurants takes less effort but is usually more expensive.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
friendable Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Paying for College - March 31st 2010, 08:21 PM

Thanks. I've been living at home while in college and I probably will until December. It's really, really not working out. I don't really want to get into it, but it's definitely best for me to get out of here. Also, there aren't any trains. The buses are expensive and pretty useless here. The public transportation should be better in the city I want to move to, but my car and its insurance are still kind of a necessity. Sorry, I don't mean to keep shooting everything down, I am taking everything into consideration.

Closed Thread