TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

PsyD, MFT, Admissions, Salaries... GOD! - April 9th 2010, 04:54 AM

I'm literally making myself sick, by trying to figure out what I should do after getting my B.A. in Psychology. =(

So, I want to counsel people. Don't really care about research, don't really care about being "the best"... I just want to help people (because I like to do that =P), and make a decent salary in the process.

PsyD programs would probably allow me to reach those goals... but the admissions processes are SO STRICT. At least, for the ones that are affiliated with universities. There are some that are "professional schools", but I keep hearing bad things about them... and I don't want a degree that won't be taken seriously. D=

MFT programs are easier to get in to, and I would spend less time training for my future career... but I would be limited, as far as job opportunities and salaries are concerned. I also don't know which MFT programs are any good.

I can't talk to my school's career services center, because the people there can't give me specific information, like which schools would be within my reach, and which programs are worth enrolling in.

GAH. I just... I'm going insane. =( I feel so lost, and scared, when I think about it all.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
VitruvianDoc Offline
Medical Student
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Re: PsyD, MFT, Admissions, Salaries... GOD! - April 9th 2010, 05:18 AM

Your best choice is occupational therapy. There are many masters and some Ph.D. programs for this and the field is as broad as medicine. You can do anything from PTSD patients with military, police, etc to working with large scale employers to insure policies don't burden employees too much and that they are in a healthy environment all the way to teaching at the university level. It pays well at many levels and has the flexibillity that if you ever burn out in one part, you can bounce around alot.

For example, my psych teacher for three of my courses works ad junct teaching part time and being an occupational therapist for 9/11 workers. Awesome professor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: PsyD, MFT, Admissions, Salaries... GOD! - April 9th 2010, 01:14 PM

I'm in your shoes right now and they made me take a professions in psych class, I'm more confused now then I was before. Even if you get the PsyD you'll still need a licence so their advice had been figure out what you want to do and go for the license because the degree doesn't mean much, It will also allow you to help people sooner.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: PsyD, MFT, Admissions, Salaries... GOD! - April 9th 2010, 02:01 PM

I'm going into School Psych as a graduate degree, so I totally understand where you're coming from. The long and short of it is, any graduate Psych program is going to be intensely competitive. The programs I'm interested in take 10-12 students a a year.

Even if you aren't interested in research, they'll probably want you to have some kind of experience with it. I would look into a more specialized degree, like Charles suggested. It'll be easier to find exactly what you're looking for.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
Closed Thread