TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Homework Help (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f535-homework-help/)
-   -   General Election Homework (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f535-homework-help/t41752-general-election-homework/)

Gingerbread Latte April 10th 2010 09:16 PM

General Election Homework

We have to do a presentation about an issue that we think will be important in the general election coming up.

My group have chosen education but I'm struggling to find any opinion polls relating to education so I'm just going to make my own.

Could you please vote on the poll? Even if you're not in the UK still vote on what you think your country would need.

I'm going to need the results for Monday so please please vote :)

Elizabeth April 10th 2010 10:02 PM

Re: General Election Homework

I said school funding because it effects so many different departments. I think they should focus on public school's. Not private universities.

Melody Pond April 10th 2010 10:10 PM

I picked Uni places as it is ridiculous right now. The amount of people applying in increasing while the amount of places is decreasing at the same rate. It is making it impossible to get in. Even if you can afford the fees and get an interview you might not get a place.

I also think Tuition is a problem but it is needed to keep the Uni going. Lib Dem are talking about getting rid of fees but I doubt this will work. The Uni wouldn't have as much money so the amount of places would decrease and the amount of people applying would increase as it is free. I think the fees should be reduced but I doubt the can be abolished completely. If you abolished tuition then funding would have to increase but where would that money come from when at the moment the country is giving all it's money to the bankers..?
I might be biased as the NHS will pay my fees so I don't have to worry about them, I can understand other people saying that is the biggest problem.

They are all important issues but fees and places affect me most. My boyfriend Mum would say class sizes as her daughter is deaf and if she goes to a mainstream school she needs a smaller class size (and a one to one tutor) to be able to achieve the best she can. Class sizes are increasing constantly so they are finding it difficult to find a high school for her.

Pelios April 11th 2010 12:31 AM

I picked other; I would like more information on the programs they offer for exchange students. Right now I'm looking to see where I want to go study as a foreign student the information is very limited.
I would pick also tuition, what’s the difference between school funds and tuition fees?

Gingerbread Latte April 11th 2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexico (Post 363488)
I picked other; I would like more information on the programs they offer for exchange students. Right now I'm looking to see where I want to go study as a foreign student the information is very limited.
I would pick also tuition, what’s the difference between school funds and tuition fees?

School funding is what the government give to schools to spend on equipment and stuff.

Tuition fees are what people pay to go to University.

Pelios April 11th 2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Cara (Post 363489)

School funding is what the government give to schools to spend on equipment and stuff.

Tuition fees are what people pay to go to University.

If I had to pick a 2nd topic I would go for the tuition fees...

Jesus Christ. April 11th 2010 01:01 AM

I picked discipline because it so pathetically bad at the moment.

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! April 11th 2010 05:16 AM

I voted for university places because more and more people are applying, leading to more and more being rejected. As the competition increases, tuitions tend to also increase, so if more universities are made, it could help out with the tuitions, although tuitions is still a separate issue on its own.

BrittneyNicole April 11th 2010 05:39 AM

I voted School Funding. But I also think Universal PreSchool is a big one too.

ThrashAttack April 11th 2010 10:26 AM

I picked Discipline in Schools becouse no one really realises how hard teaching something to kids is, especially when those Kids are behaving like they are in a Riot.

losing touch. April 11th 2010 11:38 AM

I voted uni places. :)

her_beautiful_mistake April 13th 2010 11:29 PM

Tuition fees. They don't need to be scrapped all together, but going above £5,000 a year without a full loan would cut off many people from being able to afford to go, myself and the majority of my friends included. They need to stay the same or a rise of £1,000 a year maximum.

We don't need more University places. Too many people are getting degrees as it is. So the worth of degrees is going down and down and down.
Essential courses like medicine, nursing, radiography, paramedic - the places are calculated so that at the end of the degree we have the number of doctor/nurses/etc we need, not too many and not too little. This is carefully balanced and just won't change.
So what will go up is degrees like maths, history, english, classics, fricking media studies. More places means that a degree is worth less and less. The jobs just aren't there at the end of the degree, and they will be there even less with more University places. People end up doing a degree yet working in a job that does not demand it. Waste of time and money, should have just gone straight into the job market with A Levels (you can get very far in the 3 years you would have spent at Uni). Yes more people want to go. Yes it's getting more competitive. So up your game, do better, make yourself a better applicant. Keep the number of places the same and hopefully a degree will start being worth something again.

NOT increasing University places would also help with the tution fees problem.

Apollo April 14th 2010 02:29 AM

I voted for "School Funding". Although it is not a huge issue here, I have many friends that have gotten important things cut because of money issues.

Algernon April 14th 2010 02:49 AM

Money is the only issue stopping people from entering college. I just took out a 9,000 load and FAFSA paid for over 5,000 of my schooling... Money is important. The most.

Em... April 17th 2010 09:36 PM

I think school discipline is the most important because there are many kids who are victims of many tragic incidents and it's not fair to people. so yeah :)
and it's in all levels of schools not just college or university.
:p