TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alicja Offline
Jesteś piękna.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alicja

Need Help!!! - April 13th 2010, 10:31 AM

I have applied for sixth form at my school but I want to be a police officer when I am older; what courses do I need. I did put down Science and Psychology already, but now I definately know what I want to be!!!

Would I need to take Law as an option?

But I am sure it's too late to change it now

Please help me, thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SubFocus Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Need Help!!! - April 13th 2010, 12:55 PM

Too be honest it doesn't really matter!!

From my knowledge of the police force you don't have to go to sixth form in order to gain a place in a training scheme with the police. It just helps you with the 'attractiveness' of your CV. When applying to the police it is a very long and hard process as it's in 3 stages. 1st stage is the initial application (forms forms and more forms!!) Stage 2 is a fitness test, (you know the bleep test? if memory serves me right its level 5 and above you have to reach? also with a medical check.) And Stage 3, A Background check!

If you are wanting to go onto higher education however then your A-Levels are key. Regardless of what subject areas they are, as when you apply to university it is calculated on a point scoring system. (also known as UCAS)
There are courses all across the country to do with Public services and Policing. Looking at colleges and University's are the best way to find out about these so below are some website links i compiled for you to look at into deeper.

But in regards to your question - No you don't have to do law as its not a required qualification as what they do on the training course is teach you all you need to know before going 'on the beat'...

UCAS (my advice is just to explore the website, its helpful!) - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/

Police website - tells you everything you need to know. - http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/

Police search on ucas.
(not sure if this will work but it is easy to find - go to ucas website - then head to course search - click p - go down to police and follow instructions.
Clicking on the red writing of the course then opens up details of the courses, and what is required in order to get on them, within the ucas site there is also tables of what A Levels are converted into to fit into the point system. VERY complicated but when going to Sixth form you will be sick of the word UCAS!! (most courses however only require 80 points! which isn't a lot)

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...OLICE&single=N

Hope i helped

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alicja Offline
Jesteś piękna.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alicja

Re: Need Help!!! - April 13th 2010, 03:23 PM

Wow thanks so much that really helped!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SubFocus Offline
Not a n00b