TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

No Motivation - April 21st 2010, 04:19 PM

Ok, so as the title says I am not motivated to do ANY of my work for some reason, I don't even know why. Unfortunately it's not like I have nothing to do. This is what the end of my semester looks like (dates are due dates)

Consumer issues Report 4/23
Theis paper 4/27
Bmod quiz (not huge deal) 4/28
Bmod project 4/28
Theis presentation 5/4
Professions written assignment 5/6 (class is pass/fail)
Professions test??? (he's going to give it w/no warning)

Then finals are 5/3-5/6

There is no thesis final
and as proof of this issue I'm here posting a thread instead of doing this stuff!

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: No Motivation - April 21st 2010, 10:31 PM

Hey Katie,

I understand what you mean by no motivation, when I was in high school, I had no motivation to do anything. Until my final year. I buckled down, and did everything that I needed to do. What I would recommend is that you should sit down, turn off your computer and television, and just focus on what needs to be done, work for 20 mins then take a 5 min break, keep doing that, you will find that it goes fast, and you get a lot of work done. Let me know.

Good luck
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
emoticon Offline
confused.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle

Re: No Motivation - April 21st 2010, 10:42 PM

i find that i make myself a schudule then i do really well. like plan when to watch tv, go on the computer, do your hw, eat, etc.

" One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. "

i wonder when i'll finally jsut start accepting myself, when i'll stop saying i wish i could be like that person.

i have facebook, and myspace. and you can ask for it. :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to emoticon  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: No Motivation - April 21st 2010, 10:44 PM

I think scheduals are completely unhelpful. You don't stick to it then the work you should have done builds up and up and up.

Do you want to make a study thread? Where we post what we want to do that day and offer motivation and stuff?

I totally understand what you mean. And I have to get straight A's this year or I won't get into medical school.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: No Motivation - April 22nd 2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
I think scheduals are completely unhelpful. You don't stick to it then the work you should have done builds up and up and up.

Do you want to make a study thread? Where we post what we want to do that day and offer motivation and stuff?

I totally understand what you mean. And I have to get straight A's this year or I won't get into medical school.
I disagree. I absolutely love schedules and for me they work. It's just about what works best for you. But if you started a study thread I'd love to be in it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: No Motivation - April 22nd 2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Brittany. View Post
Hey Katie,

What I would recommend is that you should sit down, turn off your computer
The only problem with this is that I need my computer to do most of the stuff and I can't resist the internet.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: No Motivation - April 22nd 2010, 05:48 PM

If it's possible, disable your internet. Either by turning off your wireless or something of that sort, so that if you try to open your browser window you get a "404" error and can't surf the net. If it'd affect other people in your house, just let them know you need a set amount of time to get work done, etc.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: No Motivation - April 22nd 2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
The only problem with this is that I need my computer to do most of the stuff and I can't resist the internet.
When I was very young (and no we didn't have Internet, not even dial-up back then) I'd love to play cheap little computer games as that's all we had and afforded on the computer. Since I'd come home well before my parents would (grandmother babysat me as too expensive to hire baby-sitters), I'd love to play the games but my father would go and make puzzles for me to complete after I did all my work in order to log onto the computer.

I'm not saying you need to get someone to do this for you but rather, disable the Internet, whether it's dial-up, cable, high-speed, wireless, etc... . All of them can be disabled and re-enabled pretty easily. If you have a router, then simply disable your connection to the router, which again is just a few clicks of the mouse.

In high-school, what worked for me especially in grades 11 and 12, was whenever I wanted to play on the Internet despite the large pile of work, I'd think of a homeless person and imagine that was myself. I would think if I decided to goof off, my chances of university are gone and I'm left with low-paying jobs or simply living out on the streets. To this day, it still works much better than imagining how it is to be successful because your future personal success is hard to imagine what it'd be like as you've never seen it but failure has been seen by everyone and is much easier to use as motivation to succeed. It's not meant to get you bummed out but rather to dangle success infront of your nose just close to enough to get you to continue moving forward, otherwise, you look back and see the fail that will come.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: No Motivation - April 23rd 2010, 01:51 AM

I need the internet for atleast part of all of this though. I managed to get the thing that's due tomorrow done, but I didn't go to class tonight for the first time in my life (really hope he didn't give the test tonight) If he didn't then I'll be fine.

Closed Thread