TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Fired? - February 9th 2009, 08:42 PM

I was just wondering if this is a legitimate reason to be dismissed...

So about a month ago, I submitted a form at work to take 4 days off work to go home and visit my family. I was told by the secretary that it was alright and I had the days off, and so I let my parents book the flight. About a week ago, I looked at the calendar, and noticed that the secretary only book one day off, rather than four. She doesn't speak english very well, and she read my form wrong, thinking I only wanted one day off instead of four. So she said to resubmit the form, and now my boss says if I take the time off, my job won't be guaranteed when I come back, because it's too short of notice. I explained to him about the secretary and he said he would look into it, but apparently he never gave her permission to book me off those days; he more or less said he thinks that she didn't tell me that, and that I just heard what I wanted to hear. I can't not go, because I don't want to waste my parent's money like that. But I don't want to lose my job. I don't know what to do.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Fired? - February 9th 2009, 08:48 PM

You should get the secretary to back you up by saying that she did tell you that because it isn't fair that your boss doesn't believe you and thinks your only heard what you wanted to hear when that wasn't the case.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Fired? - February 9th 2009, 09:30 PM

I don't think she even knows what she said to me. She really, really doesn't speak english well. It's ridiculous that she's the one we have to speak to about issues like this. She's very nice, but we can't communicate with her.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Fired? - February 9th 2009, 09:40 PM

I'd go on the holiday. Fair enough that you want to keep your job, but that is kind of unfair, it is the secretarys fault. You could always take the one days holiday and call in sick for the other three days? Heheh, i know it's not ideal, but if needs must...

The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows...
Keep The Blood In Your Head, And Keep Your Feet On The Ground.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

Do I Divide And Fall Apart?
My Bright's Too Slight To Hold Back All My Dark.
  Send a message via MSN to Cullen  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Captain_jack Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Fired? - February 9th 2009, 09:44 PM

i think it would be wise to contact someone above your boss about this. i mean he knows the policies and stuff and it's not his fault that the secretary got it wrong as much as it not your fault.

Explain you Have to ahve these 4 days off, to head office or whatever (i don't know tha structure of the company you work for). how you followed the rules, and you should be entitled to those days now.

I don't know exactly. i mean im just going on what people in the company i work for have done when they have issues.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Fired? - February 10th 2009, 02:00 AM

The boss seems to be following the rules and policies of the company, and yes it is unfortunate that the secretary has a poor English skill but shouldn't have you spoken to the boss instead of to the secretary? Perhaps you can get someone above your boss to tell your boss to let you have the days off by explaining the situation. If that doesn't work, then I think you're stuck and take those days off some other time.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Fired? - February 10th 2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
The boss seems to be following the rules and policies of the company, and yes it is unfortunate that the secretary has a poor English skill but shouldn't have you spoken to the boss instead of to the secretary? Perhaps you can get someone above your boss to tell your boss to let you have the days off by explaining the situation. If that doesn't work, then I think you're stuck and take those days off some other time.
We're not supposed to talk to him about days off. We go to the secretary, as for a form, fill it out. If she can work it out on her own she does, and if not, she gives it to him. Once she gets his approval for rescheduling, she tells us whether or not it's approved. She told me it was approved, and like every other time I've booked time off work, I believed her. Because that's the way we do things at our company.

There is no one above my boss. It's a very small tutoring company. He's the boss.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Fired? - February 10th 2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
We're not supposed to talk to him about days off. We go to the secretary, as for a form, fill it out. If she can work it out on her own she does, and if not, she gives it to him. Once she gets his approval for rescheduling, she tells us whether or not it's approved. She told me it was approved, and like every other time I've booked time off work, I believed her. Because that's the way we do things at our company.

There is no one above my boss. It's a very small tutoring company. He's the boss.
Well, I guess try out the whole form process some other time. Using the secretary to argue with you against the boss would seem like you're a whiner especially if things don't go your way, and having someone immature at a tutoring company as a tutor wouldn't be too good. If you suck it up, then try again later, it'd seem a lot more mature and reasonable.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Fired? - February 10th 2009, 06:21 PM

He asked the secretary, and she told him that I asked her for one day off. I asked him to find the form where I apparently asked for one day off, and he admits that he can't find it; because I didn't fill it out. He only has the forms for the four days off.

He's basically told me that if I can find a friend, who can teach math, chem, bio, english, french and social studies, willing to cover me for those four days, I won't get fired.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

Closed Thread