TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Might change schools... - May 5th 2010, 04:10 AM

So. One of my best friends (who I also happen to like very much) might be transferring to a new school next year if they'll allow an out-of-district student (it's about a half hour from our town.) She has a 4.0 GPA, and her mother gave the school her transcript, so her chances of getting in are pretty good. Anyway. This school has an AMAZING music program compared to the one at my school, and since I want to be a professional musician of some sort in the future, I'm going to need as much as experience as I can get. So I was talking to my father about how she was going to transfer there, and then he asked me if I would want to as well. The thing is: 1) I'd be leaving one of my other best friends, 2) I wouldn't know anybody, I'm very socially awkward, and I've heard that a lot of the kids there are uptight and snobbish, 3) we would probably have to move to that town.

The thing is, I'm not sure if I should or not. I mean, I do want what's best for myself; the education there is MUCH better than at my school, and I need it as good as I can get if I want to be accepted into a decent college. But I don't know if I'd really be doing it for me, or if I'd be doing it so I can stay close to my friend. The very idea of being in a new place like that scares me, but I love music, and, well, our school probably won't even have music next year. And I really don't want to leave my other friend behind, but at the same time, I know I shouldn't let that hold me back. Basically, to get to the point--I don't really know what I want, and I'm having a hard time deciding. I'll have to tell my parents what I think soon, because if we're going to move up there, we'll need time to get ready, find a house, etc. And I'll need to get registered ASAP if I want any good electives. So what do you think? Do you have any advice for choosing a school? Thanks in advance. I apologize for making this thing so long.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Megan09 Offline
Singer, lover, writer
Average Joe

Name: Megan

Re: Might change schools... - May 5th 2010, 04:18 AM

To me, it sounds like the pros of going to this new school are much more than the cons!! If you want to be involved in music as a career, going to a school with a strong music program is going to help you SO much!! I say go for it! Plus, the fact that your friend goes there too is a plus

"If music be the food of love, play on." -Shakespeare
Remember: May is skin cancer awareness month. Be smart, here are some tips to protect yourself:
Feel free to PM me, I'm here to help
TH Social Networking Team
  Send a message via AIM to Megan09  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Might change schools... - May 5th 2010, 08:56 PM

Well, seeing as you've made the list of pros and cons, it appears it's obviously your decision
But, what I can say, is that moving and changing schools doesn't have to be all that hard. I may be the wrong person to say this, but on average I've moved and changed schools every three years since Kindergarten, so perhaps I'm just used to it by now. I am aware though that it is pretty stressful for a lot of people, making new friends, leaving old ones behind, ext...

The thing is, you don't really have to leave the old ones behind for good. You say its half an hour away right? That's really not that far if you think about it. You could easily see them on the weekends, or even after school some days if you find you have little homework and can make the drive. Again, I'm probably the wrong person to say this because I've grown up to 6 hour car drives every weekend and now deal with 3 hour car drives every other weekend or so, so I'm probably again, used to it.

As for making new friends, well that will come with time too. You might not make too many great friends in your math class, but you probably will in your music classes, seeing as you have a shared interest. Not to mention, there might be other kids there in a similar situation as you, so you don't KNOW they're all snobby. I mean, you have to at least give them a shot right?

And as always, as Megan said, if you want to go into Music as a career, I suggest starting to get that up now, seeing as the music business isn't always an easy one. (I'm also looking into something with Music myself, and have admittedly not done as well as I'd hoped in my high school music career this past year compared to sophomore year)

Good luck Definitely talk to your parents about this, if you haven't done so already.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
Closed Thread