TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Research Paper - January 7th 2009, 07:43 PM

Hey, I have a research paper I have to do real soon and I cannot think of a topic. I just have to think of one by Friday. I want to do something along the lines of Psychology or something like that. Do you think I should do School Psychology. It would be a 10 page double spaced report so, I dont know.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Research Paper - January 7th 2009, 07:46 PM

What exactly about School Psychology would you write the paper on? It's a big field.

You can do something about School Psychologists and how they're important in a school or School Psychologist and their work with special needs, something along those lines.

I'm doing undergraduate work within School Psychology, so please don't hesitate to PM me with any questions.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Research Paper - January 7th 2009, 07:54 PM

I meant a school psychologist who works with people with special needs. I wanted to learn more about that also, because I go to a special needs school and Im interested.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Research Paper - January 7th 2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiChloe View Post
I meant a school psychologist who works with people with special needs. I wanted to learn more about that also, because I go to a special needs school and Im interested.
School Psychologists work with special needs children in a variety of ways. They often administer testing to special needs children more than anything else.

Here are a few websites that might give you more ideas:

http://www.nasponline.org/ -This is the national association of school psychologists. It has information on what exactly school psychologists do, salary, how to become one, etc.

http://www.schoolpsychology.net/ - this site offers information on how assessments are given to special needs children, the different disorders, etc.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Research Paper - January 8th 2009, 02:48 PM

I have my topic now...

Its interventions and accomodations for people with special needs.
People with Autism, ADD, ADHD, LD, etc.
Thats what Im looking for.

I now need help with key words. I dont even know where to start searching. Now, dont tell me to search google, I already am doing that and searching at a public library. But if you know any other site, that would be a big help.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: Research Paper - January 8th 2009, 06:10 PM

I think you should do a paper on me.

Describe how awesome I am using no fewer than the word "awesome" 20 times in every paragraph.

Other than that.

Wikipedia is your friend.

Go to google.

Type:

Autism Wiki

Replace Autism, with your keyword.

And you will find your answer.

Wikipedia evne helps me with my medical assignments. If wikipedia fails, revert to my initial comments on a paper about myself.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Research Paper - January 8th 2009, 07:58 PM

Ha Ha Ha! Yeah right!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Research Paper - January 8th 2009, 08:38 PM

Why not =(

If you also want some more in depth knowledge or you want something explained clearer than a website makes it. Just give me a PM. I'm use to talking to people who do not completly understand Science or latin.

It's why we call Myocardial Infarction, a heart attack!

But this is my area of speciality, especially genetics.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Research Paper - January 8th 2009, 09:00 PM

I meant that I cannot do a report on you and I cannot use wikipedia. You were just boastful and I thought you were being sarcastic and Ive come across cyber bullies so thats why I answered like that. Sorry.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Research Paper - January 8th 2009, 09:56 PM

I'm not a cyber bully please. I wanted to help. why can you not use wikipedia? It's a very good tool for research.

Secondly I'm training to be a Doctor, teaching others is something I enjoy greatly. If you come accross something you do not understand or feel like you could do with an extra explanation just give me a PM.

I honestly dont mind as it helps me revise my knowledge anyway. You might get lucky and I might even have to look something up!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Research Paper - January 8th 2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz404 View Post
I'm not a cyber bully please. I wanted to help. why can you not use wikipedia? It's a very good tool for research.

Secondly I'm training to be a Doctor, teaching others is something I enjoy greatly. If you come accross something you do not understand or feel like you could do with an extra explanation just give me a PM.

I honestly dont mind as it helps me revise my knowledge anyway. You might get lucky and I might even have to look something up!
Wikipedia is user edited and can be edited by anyone. Certain soda companies have removed articles about how their soda is bad for your health. It is not considered a good academic source.

--A

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Research Paper - January 8th 2009, 10:12 PM

You should never use only one source for research, but wikipedia is a great starting place, where you can get the basics and then reserach the indepth detail at other locations.

Medical Journals are your best bet though.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Research Paper - January 11th 2009, 01:58 PM

I know that I need more than one source. Im having trouble finding internet sources though. I will look through medical journals, but if anyone knows of any other sites that talk about mental disorders in a school setting, please feel free to respond. Also, please dont suggest wikipedia.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
New Username: Mindsend
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Research Paper - January 11th 2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Wikipedia is user edited and can be edited by anyone. Certain soda companies have removed articles about how their soda is bad for your health. It is not considered a good academic source.
I very much agree. It's actually very well emphasized in all of my classes that we are not to use Wikipedia; For already obvious reasons. But as for your Topic, Chloe, I may be able to ask a friend of mine for some good sources because her mom who is a speach teacher that works with children & young adults who have Autism.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Lady Luck Offline
luck be a lady
Not a n00b

Name: Lucy

Re: Research Paper - January 26th 2009, 06:56 PM

My school does not allow any wiki sites for research because of biase so that make sense to me.

What kind of autism are you talking about?

My brother has a slight form, Asbergers Syndrome, and most people think he is just antisocial, and rude. Okay he would have been that way anyway the way my family runs but its extreme with him.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Research Paper - January 26th 2009, 07:02 PM

I understand what you mean and Im not just doing Autism...

My topic is Interventions and Accomodations of people with learning disabilities.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Research Paper - January 27th 2009, 02:32 AM

Wikipedia is only good for a quick and dirty summary but not for research. Next year (or maybe in 2 years) I'm planning to be a TA and if I see any sites from wikipedia, there's going to be a big red X right on that.

Try using databases, there are many for psychology. Universities have many, although you usually need to be a student or sign up to the database.

One of my favourites is Scopus (google the link, think you need to make an account, I sign in with my student ID from university). Alternatively, go to a library, and look through psychology magazines dealing with your topic. Online has the best selectivity but try other databases is Scopus doesn't work for you.

Closed Thread