TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Does anyone know anything Zoology/Marine Biology - May 20th 2010, 12:37 AM

I'm not really sure which I'm interested in more yet, but I'm assuming to have a degree in either of these you must have an initial BS Biology? I haven't read much up on it yet so I was just curious if anyone had some resources. I'm struggling with sleep deprivation so I don't really have the patience to search right now so this post is more due to my laziness, but any help would be great.
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Does anyone know anything Zoology/Marine Biology - May 20th 2010, 03:21 AM

My university offers marine biology in undergrad year as a third-year university courses, I think at least 3 or 4. I know one of the courses offered at my campus is a field one, so you go with the professor to a different location, for us in Canada it's somewhere in the Maritimes provinces at a large research facility and you spend the entire course there. It's done at a time separate from other courses so it won't conflict.

You can then Master and get a Doctorate in zoology and marine biology if you want also.

The most I've done with marine biology is dissecting sharks during a lab but if you want links to some of the course listings then I'd be happy to give them or if you want some basic information I can help with that also. Is there anything in particular you do want answered?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Does anyone know anything Zoology/Marine Biology - May 20th 2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
My university offers marine biology in undergrad year as a third-year university courses, I think at least 3 or 4. I know one of the courses offered at my campus is a field one, so you go with the professor to a different location, for us in Canada it's somewhere in the Maritimes provinces at a large research facility and you spend the entire course there. It's done at a time separate from other courses so it won't conflict.

You can then Master and get a Doctorate in zoology and marine biology if you want also.

The most I've done with marine biology is dissecting sharks during a lab but if you want links to some of the course listings then I'd be happy to give them or if you want some basic information I can help with that also. Is there anything in particular you do want answered?
Overall I think that Zoology interests me more but I would like to focus on marine life if that is at all possible. The whole Marine Biology is some what interesting but I'd rather focus more on animals than plankton, ocean ecology, etc. The reason being is I would like to work at a Zoo and assuming research would be done I'd more or less like to study animal behaviors. I am assuming Zoologists would be more diverse in those areas then someone in Marine Biology. Also from my understanding Zoology generally pays more and requires only a Masters to get a decent job in where Marine Biology takes a PhD (which may be more of a goal once I progress through more life sciences to see what interests me more). However, can you send a link to both of them and I'll take a look from there?
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Does anyone know anything Zoology/Marine Biology - May 20th 2010, 08:53 AM

First link is: http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.c...r/crsindex.htm
The marine biology courses are under the physiology courses and cell & systems biology courses. There used to be actual zoology courses but the course codes got replaced but it still says "formerly ZOO...", so those are in the cell & systems biology courses and ecology & evolutionary biology courses.

For animal behavior, they are in the psychology courses, cell & systems courses and human biology courses. There would be some content taught in the pharmacology courses but it goes in more detail. If you're going to study this, you're going to want courses in neuroscience and/or neuropsychology. Many are of humans (what I'm studying) but some of it transfers over to animal behaviors.

There's also center for environmental courses and forest conservation courses if those are useful to you, I'm not sure if those appeal to you or not.

The second link: http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/regcal/WEBGEN2.html
Go under the biology courses and psychology courses.

If you're wondering, these links are for the same university (the one I attend) but different campuses. Sometimes the same course is taught but not always the same professor.

"H" means half-course and credit, "Y" means full-course and credit (some exceptions), "S" means half-course in summer semester and "F" means half-course in fall semester.

As for the pay, I have no clue on that.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Does anyone know anything Zoology/Marine Biology - June 1st 2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithoutYou View Post
I'm not really sure which I'm interested in more yet, but I'm assuming to have a degree in either of these you must have an initial BS Biology? I haven't read much up on it yet so I was just curious if anyone had some resources. I'm struggling with sleep deprivation so I don't really have the patience to search right now so this post is more due to my laziness, but any help would be great.

If your not good at the type of topic but just interested. you should avoid science degrees. because its hard to get a job with a low gpa. Most decent science jobs these days require a master degree for a pretty low end job.

U live in michagan the unemloyement rate is pretty bad. sorry to mention that but u should consider other career paths if u are unable to do well. i know alot of people who picks all kinds of "interesting" degrees. but the sad part is that they ended up with a degree that does nothing.

so watch out.

other good degrees that just requires a bachelors and makes really good money is...

Accounting and Nursing.

These require you to get licenses though.

But Accountants can easily make alot of money if they pass them

Im gunna get mine really soon..

alot of work though. im like all done with my degree. my gpa is in the mid 70's

Closed Thread