TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Early graduation? - May 29th 2010, 12:26 AM

Hey,

So I'm in high-school now. I failed grade 7 but so far this year I've got all my credits, as of June I should have 8. You need 20 to graduate.

You need this: 20 Credits
4 Language (3 English, 1 Other: Writing, Life Skills or Communications)
2 Math
2 Science
2 Social Studies

You need Grade 12 English and 4 other courses at the 600/800 level. 600 is Grade 12. 800 is Grade 11/12 both.

So look below and tell me what you think, I meet all the requirements. The two coop, and then CHEM and Physics are all summer courses for credits I can use in high-school. COOP is done from the school board, the other two are done from the local college!

Do you think if I showed my principal this, and agreed to keep a 85% or above average next year he'll let me graduate next June? I would meet all the requirements. The only thing is I'm not staying the full 3-Years (We start grade 10-12). My girlfriend graduates next year in June, and I wanna graduate with her.. We have a plan, graduation, apartment and college together.

So, here's what I came up with:

Grade 10 (This year)

ENG421A
FDS421A
MAT431A
PED401AY
IND401AY
SCI421A
ITC421A
CAS401A
Total: 8 Credits 1 Science, 1 Math, 1 English, 1 History

The summer (Summer program)

COOP - Eastern School Board Summer School
COOP - Eastern School Board Summer School
PHYS521A - Holland College
CHEM521A - Holland College
Total: 4 Credits

Next Year
1st Semester:

ENG521A
LAW521A
MAT531A
Automotive801

2nd Semester:

ENG621A
PHYS621A
WRITING801
CHEM621A
TOTAL: 8 Credits.. Overall 20 Credits!

In Total I'll meet all the requirements:
4 English/Language
2 History
2 Science
2 Math
English & 4 other courses at 600/800 level (Total Credits: 20)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Early graduation? - May 29th 2010, 03:40 AM

You can show it but the fact that you failed grade 7 may be a bit worrisome. However, you mention you have a 85% average, so is this the average of your current grade or of all the grades? The one factor that can toss a wrench in this is the summer school in regards to whether or not you can a) get in due to the popular demands, b) not have conflicting schedule times and c) if the amount of summer courses per summer you're doing is allowed. I presume it would be allowed, however, at my university there are restrictions so check the policies to make sure what you want to do is allowed.

The biggest issue though is not what you plan to do but why you plan to do it. You may love this girl very much and have plans set forth, however, think of your future, specifically your goals and career you want to have. If moving with her makes it harder, such as far from the university that you want to attend that offers what you want, is it really worth it? You've also got to consider a back-up plan because suppose shit happens, which it does, and the two of you break up. If this happens once you have moved with her, then you are getting to the point where I'd say unless you have some amazing plans and horseshoes all around you, you're in the shitter.

I'm not telling you that you should not do this but think of what you want career you've dreamed about having and consider how possible that is with you living with her. The two of you would need a source of income, which when in university, is difficult to do unless you have a nice large amount already saved up that can cover it and any other necessary expenses.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Early graduation? - May 29th 2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks friend!

No my averages right now are all floating 50%'s... However, just recently shit sank in and told me that I gotta do work and how important my future is. I meant, I'd AGREE to have an 85% all next year in all my courses.

As for living arrangements and income, my family has a huge house. We have the bottom level which is also huge, they said they'd re-do that whole level and turn it into another apartment for us. Then in a year or two, they're retiring and getting another home in the states... So they're gonna give me the house, and the businesses they have. I wanna take automotive for college, and my folks are paying for that too.

I have a good feeling this girl and I will stay together. But she's not the only reason I wanna graduate early, and I'm not telling the principal that's one of the reasons.

Truthfully, I'm SUPPOSED to graduate next year. I lost a whole year of my life, I wanna gain it back. And if I give up two summer months I can!

There's two Co-Op courses at the School Board's Summer School Program, and then two courses at Holland College.. A whole different school. The two co-ops are gonna be credits toward my 20, then the holland college courses will take care of my requirements.

But how should I pitch this to my principal? Do you think he'd object to it at all?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Early graduation? - May 30th 2010, 04:45 AM

If I were your principal, I'd be very hesistent, I'd probably advise you not to consider this because of your marks. The fact that they are low, close to but not failing, means that if you take more courses and have more work, chances are the marks will go down. By down, that means probably in to the 40% zone. I know you agreed for 85% but bottom line is, you have to give evidence you can reach 85% and since you're 30% lower than that and failed grade 7, there's no evidence so I'd advise not to on that reason. Make sure you're doing this for what you want in life and do know that since you're teetering on the 50% mark, focus on the academics only.

As for your parents, it's great they have the money and are supporting your girlfriend and you. I did not expect it in the way you said but it sounds you have that part all covered.

They said they're giving you the business they run. Given that you said they're rich, it's a successful and busy business. If you're going to run it, you need knowledge and experience of how to do so. Hopefully the business is automotive in which case your academic pursuites in that are going to be very useful but you need the business knowledge also.

As for how to pitch it to your principal, be confident, serious and don't seem unsure or uncertain because the principal probably will be very uncertain also. If you're unsure and not being serious, it ruins credibility and increases the chance of you not getting permission. Give the reasons for why you want to do this because that will be probably his/her first question. In high-school, it's known there are many teenage relationships and the partners usually are falling head over heels but it's also known they don't tend to be strong and last long. Don't give your love for the girl as a reason unless the principal is very much into doing things out of love for people (doubt). You also should present a back-up plan to show you're thought it through but emphasize that although you have it, you don't hope to have to use it. For example, if you cant get into the holland college either due to low marks or it's too full, have a back-up plan so if time comes, you're not stuck in the shitter.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Early graduation? - May 30th 2010, 01:50 PM

Thank-you!

Well as for my grades these 4 Summer Courses won't interfere with my other work. I can also show that I haven't done homework or anything this year, I'm lazy.. Not gonna lie. However, when I do do my work I get above 80% on all my assignments, and when I do study I ace my tests. I know that's not a good argument, but maybe if I show him that I am serious about it and I realize where I went wrong on all my marks he might see a light, and give me the opportunity?

Yeah, the stores are tourist stores but I've worked with Automotive stuff in the past and I'm not bragging saying they're rich. They have businesses, and can afford my summer courses at the Holland College. To say the most, we're well off.

Anyway,
Tomorrow is the big day. I think my girlfriend is coming in with me, should I get her to wait outside his office?

I'm printing off what I showed you above, my current credits, the credits I can earn and how I meet all the requirements. I think I'm gonna pitch it like this: "I wanted to talk to you about my credits and graduation. I realize my marks haven't been good this year, and it's not that I couldn't do better... I could have done way better, I was just lazy. These last couple of weeks I realized how high-school will affect the rest of my life and now my grades are important to me. I failed grade 7 and missed a year because I was lazy and didn't do the work, and now I'm regretting it. I wanna graduate next year, when I'm supposed to. I'd do anything to gain back that year I missed. So, I did some research and found out that I can take 4 Summer courses and get my credits that I need to graduate, early. I can graduate with 20 credits, and meet all the requirements. It's gonna take a lot of hard work, and I know you can't make any promises but if you can get me into the courses I need to be in next year to meet the requirements I can take the summer courses and take care of that, show you my credits in September as I earn them and we'll be all set. I know I haven't shown I'm capable of that in the past but if you give me a chance, I'll show you. I'll agree to keep a certain average in all my courses next year too!"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Early graduation? - May 30th 2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleybridgeboy View Post
Well as for my grades these 4 Summer Courses won't interfere with my other work. I can also show that I haven't done homework or anything this year, I'm lazy.. Not gonna lie. However, when I do do my work I get above 80% on all my assignments, and when I do study I ace my tests. I know that's not a good argument, but maybe if I show him that I am serious about it and I realize where I went wrong on all my marks he might see a light, and give me the opportunity?
He may grant it to you but if I were the principal, I'd question whether you would not fall back into the laziness and get poor marks, with which at your teetering ~50% mark, is not wise to do.

Quote:
Yeah, the stores are tourist stores but I've worked with Automotive stuff in the past and I'm not bragging saying they're rich. They have businesses, and can afford my summer courses at the Holland College. To say the most, we're well off.
Well that's good you can afford the courses but still, if you want to run a business, you need education in how to run a business and the laws that apply to it.

Quote:
Anyway,
Tomorrow is the big day. I think my girlfriend is coming in with me, should I get her to wait outside his office?
Up to you really. I would have her wait outside simply so the principal sees you're not doing this out of a teenage high-school love story, which has bad reputations. At least for me, I wouldn't want here in there in the event she takes over and argues for me or becomes a problem when arguing for permission.

Quote:
I'm printing off what I showed you above, my current credits, the credits I can earn and how I meet all the requirements. I think I'm gonna pitch it like this: "I wanted to talk to you about my credits and graduation. I realize my marks haven't been good this year, and it's not that I couldn't do better... I could have done way better, I was just lazy. These last couple of weeks I realized how high-school will affect the rest of my life and now my grades are important to me. I failed grade 7 and missed a year because I was lazy and didn't do the work, and now I'm regretting it. I wanna graduate next year, when I'm supposed to. I'd do anything to gain back that year I missed. So, I did some research and found out that I can take 4 Summer courses and get my credits that I need to graduate, early. I can graduate with 20 credits, and meet all the requirements. It's gonna take a lot of hard work, and I know you can't make any promises but if you can get me into the courses I need to be in next year to meet the requirements I can take the summer courses and take care of that, show you my credits in September as I earn them and we'll be all set. I know I haven't shown I'm capable of that in the past but if you give me a chance, I'll show you. I'll agree to keep a certain average in all my courses next year too!"
That's good, you're being honest in it but you haven't said why you want early graduation in your proposal, which will be your principal's first question most likely. That, or "why not simply take it slower so your grades don't suffer as much?". You may also want to comment to him about any teachers that say you're a great student or can vouch for you acing your tests so you do have potential. The concern though is what will stop you from sinking to lower marks? He/she will ask that either in their head or to you because the marks are what complicates matters a lot here.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Early graduation? - May 30th 2010, 03:54 PM

Well see, it's a risky situation, your right. The thing is though, next year if he agreed to this would be my last year. I'd be taking 4 courses 1st semester, 4 courses 2nd semester just like every other Grade 12 student.

So there is no extra work! The only thing is, I'll be spending my summer doing school work. It's worth it though.

And the reason I wanna graduate early is because I missed a year, I wanna gain it back and graduate when I'm supposed too so I can start my life.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Early graduation? - May 30th 2010, 05:29 PM

To be honest if I was your principle I would say no - you've shown no evidence that you're academically capable of 85% for a prolonged period of time and your current academic record is kind of weak.

Have you got a plan B?

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Early graduation? - May 30th 2010, 10:11 PM

No plan B.

My family is gonna give the school a call in the morning before I go about the day.

However, to be honest it doesn't matter if there is evidence - He's not placing me up a grade, I'm still meeting the same requirements as everyone else.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Early graduation? - May 30th 2010, 10:16 PM

If you plan on going to college, then I'd stay. Just because you have the requirements for graduation you don't have the requirements to enter a University. Community college, yes.

I graduated early, but that wasn't because I had poor grades. I had 3 years of French, 2 years of college prep classes, AP classes... I was prepared and had to get a job. Now I'm in a trade school and In 7 months I'll have a great job.

Just think about your future, and what you want. If you just want to graduate early to get out of school, I wouldn't do it. It really Isn't worth it.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Early graduation? - May 30th 2010, 11:00 PM

That's not the only reason.

And I wanna go to community college and get an IT degree and my automotive technician certificate.

I'm good with both.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Early graduation? - May 31st 2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
That's not the only reason.

And I wanna go to community college and get an IT degree and my automotive technician certificate.

I'm good with both.
What are the other reasons, other than love for your girlfriend?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Early graduation? - May 31st 2010, 07:53 PM

I failed a grade, I'm SUPPOSED to graduate next year. I wanna gain back that year of my life out of my stupidity I lost it.

But yo, talked to him today. Major dick. Talking to the guidance counselor tomorrow to see if she can voice some reason...

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Early graduation? - May 31st 2010, 08:05 PM

What were the reasons he gave? To be honest you can't deny that you can see why he might say no.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Early graduation? - May 31st 2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I failed a grade, I'm SUPPOSED to graduate next year. I wanna gain back that year of my life out of my stupidity I lost it.

But yo, talked to him today. Major dick. Talking to the guidance counselor tomorrow to see if she can voice some reason...
As much as I hate to say it, I'm not surprised, I'd have been surprised if he did allow. I'm guessing one of his reason(s) had to do with your marks but what were some other reasons he gave (if any). The guidance counselor may be of some help but do remember, he already said no so the counselor's answer may be the same or if different, may not be enough to sway his mind. Try anyways because you seem decided for this.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Early graduation? - May 31st 2010, 08:53 PM

I am decided for this!

And he's like "Your 17 in December, your gonna be young in that graduating class and get shit for it so I don't think it's wise. But I'm busy, your courses for next year already look good. Have a good day".

So.......... Yeaah.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Early graduation? - May 31st 2010, 08:59 PM

That was not a response I expected to hear from the principal as he seemed quite lax about it and toss you aside (both of which aren't uncommon nor unheard of). I think the guidance counselor would provide more insight and better responses as it's something they'd be more familiar with than the principal.

Closed Thread