TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - June 20th 2010, 07:38 AM

Hi there...my boyfriend and I have been discussing what careers we want, and after so long I finally have my answer...computer science. Something to do with it, anyway. Not sure exactly what. For him, it is and has always been, air traffic control in the Air Force.

I'm too scared to ask him because it sounds selfish, but what exactly would be involved in that? That doesn't sound selfish, but the meaning behind that question does...and that is how long will this job take him away from me and will he return home safely, and also is there risk of him being stationed somewhere else. We have an Air Force Base right in town (okay, outside of town, but you know what I mean). If he was stationed somewhere else...well, I wouldn't be able to follow along until I got my degree.

Also, he says I could do computer science work for the Air Force. I do want a government job, but a military job was never something I was looking for. Not enough freedom. But I'll admit I know very little. So, if I was to get a job working with computers in the Air Force, what would that mean for me? I'm also worried if I get a job at the same place as him I won't be permitted to be with him - and actually, if that's the case, you don't have to bother answering the other part I asked about my job, because I'm not willingly signing up for something that will take me away from him.

Thanks

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - June 21st 2010, 04:52 PM

It different in different countries....
I'm from the UK and looking to join our forces. Here, we can posted away for months at a time - I think I'm right in thinking that 6 months is the norm for some of our guys.

Also, from my limited knowledge, being an air traffic controller isn't a high risk job, it's not working on the front line, the only trouble he might come to is if he controls fighter planes.

Talk to him about your worries, he will have better answers than I will - He will also no doubt appreciate your concern. You could also Google the American Air Force and see if there are details there?

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PvPredator Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jason

Re: Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - June 25th 2010, 07:38 PM

to do anything in the airforce you need at least a diploma before they will even talk to you,
this advice is coming from someone who has had a goal for the airforce since like forever, and has been trying to do so for so long.

airforce recruiters wont even talk to you unless you have a diploma, try to get them to reply to a support ticket and say you dont have a diploma, an automated msg will come to you saying you cannot join because you do not have a diploma.

I'm In Love With Love!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - June 25th 2010, 07:50 PM

...we both have diplomas, we are in our third year of college. That's not the issue. We both have the ability to join, I just want to know what it would mean to actually join without having to talk to any sort of recruiter!

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - July 9th 2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePrincess View Post
...we both have diplomas, we are in our third year of college. That's not the issue. We both have the ability to join, I just want to know what it would mean to actually join without having to talk to any sort of recruiter!
Do you still need help?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - July 9th 2010, 02:33 PM

Can you finish getting your degree through online college? Because then you would be able to move with him if you didn't want to join the AF.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - July 10th 2010, 04:46 PM

No, I don't need help anymore. He broke up with me so the question is irrelevant.

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - July 10th 2010, 05:28 PM

Ah, gotcha. Sorry to hear that.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Air Force career...can someone give me a little info? - July 11th 2010, 03:31 PM

BTW.

The airforce is smaller than the Navy, and Army. So its harder to get a job in the AF.

Closed Thread