TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

EPQ. (: - June 27th 2010, 03:43 PM

Hey guys

Just signed up for a chance to do the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) at school, ideally to start as soon as possible. For those who don't know, it's basically a chance to do a project that you decide on whatever topic you like to produce something - a animation, dissertation, report etc.

The teacher said its good to relate it to a future career or subject you would like to study as it gives you something to talk about at an interview. Only I don't really know what to do it on!?

Subjects I'm doing at the moment: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History
Also interested in Theology, Psychology and anything to do with children really, or things such as Stop the Traffik, Fairtrade, NSPCC and ChildLine etc.
Possible careers: counselling, medicine, teaching, working with children (maybe social work?)

So I guess I'd ideally like to tie it in with something like that. Any ideas anyone?!
Any thoughts appreciated

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: EPQ. (: - June 27th 2010, 09:22 PM

A project on Stop the Traffik sounds good. I love that organisation! Whatever you choose to do make sure you're going to enjoy it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: EPQ. (: - June 28th 2010, 09:46 AM

I did this. Even though Ive been told I'll get an A or A* it was not worth it, completely ruined my year, and I'd advice anyone against it. I know no one who does not regret this. And before you think "oh I'm a better student/more motivated/more organised than she is and I'll pick a subject that I'm more passionate about than she is".. I am
all those things too. I just seriously seriously seriuosly advice you to reconsider because I was like this last year, all excited and stuff.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: EPQ. (: - June 28th 2010, 09:48 AM

If you are set on it I'll post info to help you, defintley you
need to basically finish it over summer really. Yoi can't just "do a talk" on something
really... Do yoi know what you want to do, essay, artifact etc?

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: EPQ. (: - June 28th 2010, 12:09 PM

I must agree with her_beautiful_mistake, I tried it last year and it was a waste of my time. To be honest, in our case, the teacher had no idea what she was doing and came back mid-term and sais she'd told us to do it wrong and we had to start again. It does require a LOT of effort and planning, and free time. If you're doing other subjects which are less time consuming then it's ok, but I took it with English LangLit and Fine art, and it stressed me to no end. Then again, my school is renowned nationwide for being terrible so it was prolly just my bad experience

We were told community projects were a good idea, like small scale restoration etc, or setting up peer groups - someone in my class started a debate club. If you're set on it, then make sure you ask other subject leaders on their opinions 'cause they can be really helpful towards your project.

Good Luck!!!

Closed Thread