TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

any other soon to be college freshmen out there - June 30th 2010, 09:53 PM

FREAKING out to an unhealthy level?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - June 30th 2010, 11:20 PM

What's making you freak out?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 1st 2010, 12:13 AM

Just having to be on my own, but mostly the work that I will turn it in and still stress or not be able to keep up.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 1st 2010, 12:55 AM

Emily, I know we didn't really talk much, but I know that you are a smart person. I'm sure you wont fall behind, just make sure that you're doing a good amount of homework and revision each night, and if you don't understand something. ASK. If you are struggling, chances are someone else in the room is too!

stronger than you seem,

Forum & Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 2nd 2010, 10:00 PM

How much studying is a good bit?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 2nd 2010, 10:47 PM

Maybe 30 mins a day?

stronger than you seem,

Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 3rd 2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
How much studying is a good bit?
Depends on the course load, the difficulty and how easily you understand it. In first year university, I rarely studied only 30 minutes per day, especially when it was for a test. One of my friends from high-school attends the same university as I do and although we're in completely different programs and interests, in first-year university, he thought it'd be a lot easier so he rarely studied, when he did it was often less than 30 minutes per day (if at all). He either scraped by with 50% or flat-out failed many of his courses in first-year, and kind of repeated that in second-year but not as much, however, now he's studying more and doing wonderful.

Another friend from high-school who goes to a less stringent university didn't study much and he's already been kicked out. He was put on academic probation, tried his best but along with making some very stupid choices that everyone advised against, but didn't make it and the university booted him out, so he has that on his academic record now.

What I found is first-year university is very hard but once you make it, it's easier because it's as though they try to "weed out" those who have no chance or aren't liable to succeed much.

For some of my courses, I studied less than 30 minutes and got an A, whereas others I had to study for hours otherwise I wouldn't get a C (managed to get better than a C thankfully).

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 3rd 2010, 09:43 PM

Not college and not America but I'm starting medical school in September which is pretty exciting. I'm more excited than freaked out to be honest but I'm sure I'll get nervous as September approaches.

I know I'll be working hard.. we're expected to do 40 self-directed learning hours a week, but I'm doing a pretty intensive course. No one can really say what your course will be like, but any University course is going to require work y'know? That's kind of the point of it Do you know anyone that went to the college you did and did your subject?

Edit to add: Also 30 mins a day should be an absolute minimum. Just organise your time, keep a diary to write all your work down in, re-read your lecture notes when you get home (or type them up or something similar) and make sure you organise when you're going to do work. E.g. "Oh there is a party on friday so I won't do any work friday evening and will be hung over saturday morning so I should probably finish that project tonight"

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 7th 2010, 10:13 PM

My college advises spending two hours studying for every one hour in class. Now, I do think that's a tiny bit much, but it's always better to err on the side of overstudying if you're unsure.

My advice (I'm starting college in the fall as well =]) is to make sure you always:

--Do the work and readings the teacher assigns
--Go to class
--Understand everything that's going on (and if you don't, ask for help!)

If you do all that, you should be alright. From what I've seen, professors and tutors and people at college in general are fairly enthusiastic and ready to help new students who are trying hard but having a bad time (it's the students who don't want to try at all that are the issue).

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 8th 2010, 01:06 AM

Well I went to the college today, and I am still quite nervous and afraid of making it to graduation without having to go back, but I am feeling a little better.

Thanks for the advice.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
PianoGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 8th 2010, 11:07 PM

I'm not a Freshman, but I was at one time and definitely remember how it felt! After having spent some time in and out of college, the best thing I can tell you is to stay calm! Most college campuses have TONS of resources to help you succeed. You can always touch bases with your advisor, speak with your professors or access the tutoring center. They're all there to help you learn, so make sure that if there's even the slightest feeling like you're not getting something, nip it in the bud early so that you can continue learning.

When I was in high school, classes were fairly easy for me, so when I got to college I was a little taken aback by the amount of studying I had to do; mostly reading. Be prepared to be assigned a considerable amount of reading for most classes. I think that if you keep a schedule of times when you'll study for classes, you should be able to keep up with the workload!

As always, you can come here to ask questions if things are building up for you! Feel free to message me any time with questions about life, homework or anything else!! One of the best weapons for my success has been support!!

Good Luck
  Send a message via AIM to PianoGirl  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 9th 2010, 10:27 PM

I have heard of the two hours study time per hour of class is that a day or a week or what?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 9th 2010, 10:35 PM

It means for every hour you spend in a class, you should study two hours by yourself outside of that class. So if you spend 5 hours in a week in a Victorian Literature class, you should spend 10 hours at home studying that by yourself each week.

I'd say that's a good guide too tbh and probably about what I do.. I might do a bit more at times, less at times, defintley a lot more near exams.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 9th 2010, 11:26 PM

so it is by the week not day?

(#15 (permalink)) Old
alixthetree Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: alix

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 9th 2010, 11:55 PM

I'm going to be a freshman...i know what you mean about being nervous. I never did the greatest in high school and i'm so afraid that's going to carry over to college as well.

Accept and Never
Forget Only
Life Dies.

No matter the amount of negativity you're presented with...
5 minutes from now could be your best moment.
-Mod Sun

Send a message via AIM to alixthetree Send a message via MSN to alixthetree Send a message via Skype™ to alixthetree 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 10th 2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alixthetree View Post
I'm going to be a freshman...i know what you mean about being nervous. I never did the greatest in high school and i'm so afraid that's going to carry over to college as well.
How are you coping with it?

(#17 (permalink)) Old
alixthetree Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: alix

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 10th 2010, 12:11 AM

Basically i'm just going to stay positive and think that yeah i can do...and start the year off to the best of my abilities, I figure if i start of doing everything i can that should carry into the rest of the year. also i'm going to use all the resources we are offered

Accept and Never
Forget Only
Life Dies.

No matter the amount of negativity you're presented with...
5 minutes from now could be your best moment.
-Mod Sun

Send a message via AIM to alixthetree Send a message via MSN to alixthetree Send a message via Skype™ to alixthetree 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Bertie

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 20th 2010, 03:33 PM

I too am apprehensive, I'm moving over 300 miles to go to university. Not only this but I am a year older than most people starting and haven't been to school since January (retook exams then left).

But also I am quite happy as I realise that I have to move away to get on with my life I'm taking Russian and I have no idea what the course will be like so I'm freaking out aobut that.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Atokad Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 20th 2010, 04:21 PM

I was a freshman not too long ago. My university says that you should take 3 hours every week for every hour you spend in class. I'd just suggest doing the homework as soon as your done with class and if your having a problem with the class, use the office hours on your teacher's syllabus that they give you to go in and ask them questions that you are having problems with.

EX: I was in Calculus 3 my first semester and I did my homework right after class every day. When I had problems, I would go to the teacher's office hours and I would receive help. With going to the office at least once a week, I was on the verge of an A-B, sitting at 89.4 %. The teacher said that he would bump me up to an A because he knew how much I cared about the class and how much work I put into it.

College is 50% course work, 25% living on your own, and 25% kissing your teacher's butt to make sure they know you care about the class enough to try to get an A!

The living on your own category is a whole other story that involves a bunch of questions like are you living in the dorms or are you living with people you know. If you'd like me to talk about that, just ask!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: any other soon to be college freshmen out there - July 20th 2010, 09:15 PM

Being a college Freshman is definitely scary but I promise you will be okay. The first week or two is really stressful because of the adjusting you have to do but after that it gets easier. Things will slowly start to fit in place and you will get your studying time down. You will learn what classes you need to study most for and what classes can take a backseat.

Once you meet other people it will improve dramatically as well. You will have people to talk to in classes and you will have people to study with as well.

One suggestion I would make is that you try and find a person from each class and exchange numbers with them in case you ever miss a day; you can call and ask them what you missed and you won't have to stress as much. And, getting someones number would be a great way to meet people.

Also, do not be afraid to ask questions. If you don't understand something speak up. Go to the teacher after class or email the teacher and ask for assistance.

Most importantly have fun. College is stressful but at the same time it presents a lot of different opportunites for you to have fun. Don't stress too much because then you won't be able to enjoy college and I promise it is something to be enjoyed.

I hope this helped and if you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread