TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
natcat Offline
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

NO idea what to do with my life. - July 18th 2010, 12:52 AM

For the longest time, I wanted to work in the Social Work field .. but lately, it's just not appealing to me for whatever reason.

I start university in the fall, but I'm just taking basic courses : English, Soc, Political Science, History and Economics.

I have NO idea what I want to do as a job. I don't even know what my interests are, anymore. I just feel stuck. How can I decide what I want to do with the rest of my life when I'm so young? I don't want to end up spending thousands of dollars and end up doing something I hate.

I don't even know how to decide =/

It's better to cross the line &
suffer the consequences
than to just stare at the line
for the rest of your life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: NO idea what to do with my life. - July 18th 2010, 01:01 AM

I didn't know, so I damn sure wasn't going to waste thousands on doing courses I didn't particularly want to do. Plus I'd dropped out anyway because of stuff going on in my life
at the time.

I fell into the first job I could find: Caring, and I've fallen in love with it. My company offer all sorts of training so I'm not gunna stop climbing up the ladder for a good few years yet. Its up to you whether you want to go to university or not, if you go then people respect degrees and you'll have more time to figure it out. Just remember that that isn't the only way to work the system.

Good luck.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Atokad Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: NO idea what to do with my life. - July 18th 2010, 01:02 AM

I'm guessing that the only thing you can do is sit down and think about the things that you like to do in your everyday life. If you can shell out a few ideas from what you do then it would help you in the long run be able to figure out that you wouldn't mind doing that as a job!

Like now your on the computer. If you enjoy doing things on the computer you could look into doing things related to the technology world! Just an example!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: NO idea what to do with my life. - July 18th 2010, 03:28 AM

I know a lot of people our age that are going through the same thing. If I were you I'd print out a list of all the courses at a big university and go through them one by one. Try to imagine yourself doing each of the different jobs, have some sort of point system as to how much you think you'd like each one, then go back and look at the ones you gave high scores again. Research those ones and see what sticks out at you.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: NO idea what to do with my life. - July 18th 2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
I know a lot of people our age that are going through the same thing. If I were you I'd print out a list of all the courses at a big university and go through them one by one. Try to imagine yourself doing each of the different jobs, have some sort of point system as to how much you think you'd like each one, then go back and look at the ones you gave high scores again. Research those ones and see what sticks out at you.
That's a great idea!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: NO idea what to do with my life. - July 18th 2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeg View Post
I'm guessing that the only thing you can do is sit down and think about the things that you like to do in your everyday life. If you can shell out a few ideas from what you do then it would help you in the long run be able to figure out that you wouldn't mind doing that as a job!

Like now your on the computer. If you enjoy doing things on the computer you could look into doing things related to the technology world! Just an example!
This is what I did. I knew I liked the internet and using the computer so I went to try out for things to do with computers and simply liked it. We have one big place in our town that has ALOT of jobs to do so I am AFTER getting the degree heading there to apply. ;o

I'd also suggest doing a 'career' finder sort of thing. It's like it will ask you things you like and then you answer yes, no, or maybe.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: NO idea what to do with my life. - July 18th 2010, 06:22 PM

I'm starting university in the Fall as well, woot. And you're in Nova Scotia - go Canada Honestly, most people go into university unsure about what they want to do for the rest of their lives. While some may seem to be 150% sure, the vast majority of university students end up changing their mind - which is completely normal.

Go into university with an open mind. Even if you had a set career path in mind (i.e., I'm pretty sure I want to pursue an Honors Specialization in Philosophy and attend Law School, but I'm taking Philosophy, Psychology, Math, Statistics, and English courses in my first year), take courses from a variety of disciplines and allow yourself to explore all that university has to offer. You may be pleasantly surprised.

You're not required to know what you want to do for the rest of your life. Universities usually allow students to pursue a general first year, requiring them to declare a major in their second year. Even after you declare your major while in second year, remember that nothing is set in stone. Many students change majors in their second, third, and even fourth year. It happens.

Stop worrying about it right now because you haven't started university yet. Take courses that you think will interest you and see what happens. You may be surprised that you enjoy History much more than you thought and perhaps, Sociology a lot less than you thought. These kinds of things happen, which is why my advice is to go to university with an open mind, keeping every field on an even playing-field. Understand what I mean?

I'm going through what you're currently going through so if you ever need to talk, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can to give you a hand. Good luck.

SUP BRO.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: NO idea what to do with my life. - July 20th 2010, 07:23 AM

Hey Natalie,

Social work is a great field from what I've heard and it's something you can always come back to if it ever sparks your interest again.

I think the another way to approach the situation is to think to yourself: what do I want out of a career? Such things may be to help others, contribute to society, research, office work, be around groups of people, etc.

List your personality traits and goals, and then think of a job that would suit you. If you haven't already, I would strongly advise you to go to the career centre at your university and book an appointment. They have experience with many students exactly in your situation and can give you information to websites such as www.careercruising.com which are very helpful in giving out job descriptions.

Another thing you can consider is that many people change careers throughout their life, so don't fret if you don't see something you don't like right away.

I'm making the assumption that you are committed to school this fall. I also see that you're planning to take Political Science. I had no interest in politics upon entering university, and I took a political science class through a friend's recommendation. Now? I love following it and taking part in political discussion. Don't worry too much, you haven't started university yet and you may just need to stick your toes in the water.

If you feel the university experience is not for you, there's plenty of options out there in order to start your path to a good career. Time is on your side as long as you work hard at it.

Closed Thread