TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Job During School Year? - July 19th 2010, 11:44 PM

Okay, so I'm going to be a senior this year. I'm still not entirely sure about what I want to do, though I do have ideas. I know this year is going to probably be the busiest year so far and I need to start looking at scholarships, colleges, and club activities.

Here are some of my current problems though.

I promised my cousin that I would learn Guitar with him, because I've always wanted to learn how to play an instrument. I'm paying for the guitar, and my Mom told me today that I'll have to pay for the lessons myself. Thus, I'd probably need to find a job. I've thought about self-teaching, but idk if I would stick with it without someone really pushing me.

I've also wanted to take a self-defense class because I don't want to get beat up, raped, or killed. But all we have in town is Jujistu and it's expensive.

I'm in social club in town that probably won't amount to much by the time I graduate. All it really does for me is community Service points, but nothing else. I can take a job and do club, because a lot of girls do it and generally just don't show up to club events at all, just the regular meetings if they can.

I'm also in the Biomedical Science Academy Program that I attend half of the school day every day. I usually have homework every night and I rarely do good on tests.

If I were to get a job, it would interfere with regular school and it's activities, Biomed, club, and my general me time.

But I also need to start saving up for college too! My Mom and Dad don't have much money (Divorced, low income, and one is in debt). My Mom is already gracious in paying for my gas. (Which I am very grateful for) and she's going to be getting me braces before I start back to school.

And if I did get a job, I would have to consider getting a job at the hospital and in order to do that, I would have to take classes for it. That way there would be decent income and I could get a really good insight in the medical field (something I've really been considering getting into.)

So right now I'm just stressed, not sure where I want to go.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Job During School Year? - July 19th 2010, 11:59 PM

Hello there Mariah,

Have you ever considered checking into finding out if your school offers a work study program? Here it basically meant we worked half the day and went the school the other or vice versa.

I am sure you could ask about this and get involved into it. I am sure they'd try to find a job for you now to do in the medical field to give you experience. I also think they can give you High School classes that would help you to get a job in this field.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Job During School Year? - July 20th 2010, 11:09 PM

Working while going to school, can definitely be hard. I was working a lot in my last year of school, however, I only had school from 8:30-12. Maybe try out working and going to school and doing the other things you want to do? If it doesn't work out then maybe stop working and focus on what's important. Also, you could try and work maybe one day during the week, and one day on the weekend. Or just have a weekend job. There are so many choices for work. Good luck.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Job During School Year? - July 28th 2010, 03:03 PM

I never worked when I was in high school, because I didn't really have control over my schedule. I got a loan out for my first year of college and then got a job and started saving up for the next year. But overall my financial situation is better than yours - parents are still married, let me live there rent free, pay for everything except school and car insurance - and I don't have any outside activities.

Right now, you need to decide on priority. I'm not saying you have to do exactly what I say, but here's what I would do if I was you. Self-teach yourself guitar to see if you're interested in learning it. It would be a waste of time to spend money on lessons only to find you don't like it all that much. Later, when you have more money saved up, you can always go for lessons. And that social club - I would drop it based on the information you gave me, although I would imagine you have friends in the club so you wouldn't want to leave. It's just that community service points do not really amount to anything except a nice look to a resume, and dropping it now doesn't mean you can't put it on your resume. As for self-defense classes, buy yourself a good can of pepper spray for now, always walk with your car keys in your hand, and maybe look up a few kicks and punches on the internet and practice them yourself. Keep the Biomedical Program thing you mentioned - if you want to go into the medical field that is valuable experience. Then you might have time for a job, and you would be able to save the money you get from it.

And jobs always interefere with general me time...If I didn't have a job I would have a ton of free time, but instead I get to work 4 hours a day, attend classes a little over 3 hours a day, work on homework for another 3 hours, do chores for an hour, get an hour to relax while eating dinner, and then I study until bed. Basically, it forces you to stay up late to get your me time in. Doesn't always work depending on your schedule.

There are part time jobs, summer jobs, winter break jobs, weekend only jobs, night time only jobs...a place like a hospital would have tons of different shifts, so you can easily make it fit your schedule. So good luck

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Job During School Year? - July 28th 2010, 03:40 PM

Working during school can be hard, but it's definitely possible. I got my job just before the beginning of my senior year of high school. During that time, I was in the marching band, so I could only work 5:30-9:30 on the weeknights and had to be off on Fridays for football game and take a few Saturdays off for band competitions.
After that, I had swim team. I would wake up at 5am to go to swim practice (by myself, the team practiced at night when I would have to work), go to my regular classes which included an off-campus practicum experience, then go to work right after school. On weekends, I worked whatever they scheduled me, but I had open availability then.
I was also in German club, Chess club (yes, I'm that nerdy), and Teachers of Tomorrow.
Some of my social life -did- get a little messy because of it, but it honestly wasn't too bad. I still got to do a ton of my volunteering at church, I could go to all of the major events for each of my clubs/sports/activities with no problem. I was just busy -all- the time.

If you feel that you can't do your school events, there are a few things to consider:
-When applying for colleges, they love seeing extra curriculars on your list. Job experience isn't -quite- as important, but it helps for them to see you as responsible.
-Do you feel that working is more important than being a social butterfly? (In my case, I said yes to this one)
-If you have a job and do extra curriculars, you're probably not going to have a lot of "me time." Is that okay with you? Is it imoportant for you to make money and have a social life and let your own free time take somewhat of a backseat? (Again, for this, I answered yes.)

I am very happy that I got a job in high school. I currently have the same job - when I come home during breaks from school, I have a job waiting for me, ready to put me back on the schedule. I love it; I love the people I work with, and to be able to tell future employers that I had the same job for 4 years will help me out a lot.

It all depends on what you set as a priority, what you -think- you can do, and what you can actually make happen. You might have to juggle something around a little to do it all, but it -can- be done if you want to make it happen.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

Closed Thread