TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Do I have enough reason to quit? - July 27th 2010, 02:42 AM

Background info: I have been working in a pizza shop for about 7 months now. It is managed by a guy that will be named "X", his parents and 2 syblings also work there. There's around 10 employees and not including me I know of 3 people that want to leave.

There are three main reasons why I want to quit:

1) I really dislike working with food after it's out of its wrapper (so if i have to be working with food at a grocery store it's fine). I've worked there long enough to know that i really dislike it. But I've never complained about it to them.

2)Pay. I currently get 9.75 an hour. The only way I can get that up is by working more on the pizzas (making them, cutting them, etc). And after 3 weeks of trying, I know I suck at it. Plus, there's reason number one. I know of other places where I can get around $12/hour.

3) I hate the manager. I mentioned before about him in an earlier thread, and I know I sounded whiny about it before, but i needed to elaborate more and after that I learned more about him.

He bullys people. If you make a mistake (or what he thinksis a mistake), instead of just asking you to do it differently next time (which does work), he'll give you a 15 min lecture about it. And if you say anything to defend yourself or say pretty much anything besides "alright", he'll get mad at you and flip out on you.
Example: A girl wanted her pizza to be picked up, but the person on the phone thought it was for delivery. So when the girl came, it was already being delivered. The girl was fine with it, and the supervisor gave her a $5.00 discount (delivery charge was $4.00, so she was basicaly just canceling that). When the manager found out, he flipped on her, started swearing and was yelling, saying she gave discounts away to easily. By the end of it the supervisor was crying and went into the bathroom. Instead of apoligizing, or trying to explain more nicely and calmly, he looked at the other supervisor and said that if she didn't come out in 10mins, fire her. I know she was wrong by giving the discount and not consulting him, and that he should talk to her about it. But he didn't have to be a complete a** about it.

Even today he made his own mother want to quit.

So do you guys think I have a good reason to leave?

You're amazing just the way you are

Last edited by newbie552; July 27th 2010 at 03:21 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do I have enough reason to quit? - July 27th 2010, 10:46 AM

Think about where else you could work though as you don't want to be stuck without a job all together. Also bear in mind that any work place is going to have people who you don't get on with and somewhere else might be a whole lot worse.
Although if you're that unhappy, quit.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Do I have enough reason to quit? - July 27th 2010, 12:29 PM

I'd find another job before quitting. You wouldn't wanna be stuck without a job as said above. If you do not like it that much, quit. I also know how that sort of is as well. I used to have a manager who bullied or who seemed to only bully me. He quit after awhile without me saying anything though.

Alot of people are a-holes to what I was told about the food business. I really suggest a local retail store or another pizza place chain.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Do I have enough reason to quit? - July 27th 2010, 08:37 PM

Personally, I would quit. The first reason by itself isn't enough to quit, it's just a reminder to get a different sort of job next time. The second reason by itself is enough to poke around at other places and quit when you get a new job that pays higher. The third reason by itself is enough to send you right out the door if you know where a new career opportunity is.

With that being said, start looking for a new job now. Don't quit until you have one - but quit before you get fired. If it looks like your job could be in danger, just quit and find a new job afterwards.

Ultimately only you can decide if you quit or not. But think about it...you hate the job that you do, you hate your boss, and you probably dread going into work every day. When you have other options available to you, and it's not a life or death matter to keep your current job, then is there any reason to stay? I don't think so.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Do I have enough reason to quit? - August 1st 2010, 12:54 PM

Robin, I know this has been said, but find another job before quitting your current one. I went for about 6 months, without a job, and it was really hard! Umm, also, you definitely have enough reason to quit. Really, the store manager, or the owner, only need 1 reason to quit you current job. Good luck with what you decide.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Do I have enough reason to quit? - August 1st 2010, 03:30 PM

To be honest, I would make sure I had the higher paying job as I know in the US, a lot of employers don't like to pay minors more than 1 dollar above minimum wage. Short of being a labor job, I really don't see the point n paying 12 dollars to a minor when he or she may have other commitments during the school year.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Do I have enough reason to quit? - August 4th 2010, 02:22 AM

Since Robin found a new job, I'm going to go ahead and close this. Updated thread here : http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-e...1347-how-quit/

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread