TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Stupid Jobseekers website. - July 27th 2010, 01:45 PM

I'm so annoyed it's unbeleivable. Basically my boyfriend applied for a job that was advertised as a 'Kitchen Designer' for a company called 'Space Kitchens' (complete sham of a company btw, NEVER go near them). The positition implied that he was going to be what it said, a DESIGNER. So he gets the job, gets given a booklet to read (with hundreds of spelling and gramatical errors) and is currenly away on a 3day training course.

Designing, is the sort of thing my boyfriend wants to go into, he's been unemployed for almost 2 years and when he saw the advert, he applied, it sounded like a good opportunity being as full training is provided. Well he's now found out that the role he applied for is more of a sales role. The job description on the website said nothing about it being a sales job, other wise he wouldn't have applied.

I did some research when he got the job and have found out that this company like to con people out of money using bullying sales tactics, i told my boyfriend about it and he was let down but put it in the back of his mind, you can't always beleive the stuff on the internet (even if there is pages and pages and pages saying the same thing). We were on the phone last night and he was saying how he doesn't think this will be a permanent job, the hours are crazy and a lot of the managers he's spoke to on the training course have been divorced because of it, my boyfriend said he'll never let a job come in between us. I don't mind him working long hours, but not stupidly long house. I just want to be able to see him in between.

Anyway back on to my original point, i feel let down by the jobseekers website. They are like main job searching website (government run i think?) and a lot of people who are looking for jobs rely on them to provide adequate information. As someone who is also looking for a job i rely on them greatly but now i'm wondering if some of the stuff i have applied for is genuine. You would think that they would check each vacancy with each company to make sure that it's the real deal and people aren't gonna apply expecting something completely differant. It's confusing for the person and gives a bad impression on the business.

I sent them a complaint through their website about it, it's not fair that people are being told one thing and are being given another, it's hard enough to earn a decent living people don't need to be working under a bunch of con-artists. I don't know what they'll do i have a feeling they will say that it's not their responsibility what a company does they just post the vacancies. You would think though, because people all over the UK are using it that they would go to efforts to ensure that something like this doesn't happen.

I'm annoyed, my boyfriend is annoyed. I feel more hurt, my boyfriend was so happy and exited when he got the job we both were. Because he'd been trying to find a job for so long he thought he was finally going to get a break. But no, false advertising means he's now into something which he doesn't want to be apart of. I really want this Kitchen company to be shut down, how they've been going for 20+ years i have no idea, they just con people and pressure sell. (if anyone wants to know more just type space kitchens into google).

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Stupid Jobseekers website. - July 27th 2010, 01:55 PM

I wouldn't call it a con, If it's a con then every sales company is conning the customers. That's just how sales is.

That's really unfair about the job though. On the plus side, he will have 'kitchen designer' on his resume when he wants to move jobs, regardless of what he actually does.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Stupid Jobseekers website. - July 27th 2010, 02:02 PM

sorry but i don't understand why you're so annoyed about this. if i saw a designing job for a kitchen company i would probably assume that might involve some sales as well. it will be dealing with customers & designing the kitchen for their needs.. and yes, selling it to them.

with the recession companies have to employ people who are willing to be flexible and work where necessary. fair enough, it's not the job of his dreams but he's lucky to have a job at all in the current economic situation. if he quits the job they'll easily have a whole load of other people who are prepared to be flexible and not just insist on doing designing and nothing else.

you have to work your way up in a company like that. you're not just going to start out straight away as a high flying designer. being in sales will help you learn about the company and what the customers expect.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Stupid Jobseekers website. - July 27th 2010, 02:28 PM

Elle ofcourse i'm gonna be annoyed, if a job entails a sales role (or any kind of role) you would expect them to include that on any advertisements. The job isn't kitchen designing at all, he is a kitchen salesman. He does little to no desigining at all, they have surveyors employed to do all that, all he does that involves design is draw a basic sketch in front of the customer. He was mislead, and now he's unhappy, he doesn't trust the company already.

And they are con-artists because they claim to fit bespoke kitchens when they don't, they try and sell customers a kitchen for 14k then when they won't accept the salesman calls a manager and somehow the price drops to like 7k which is one of the oldest tricks in the book, make the customer think they're getting a great discount when the original price is well above rrp anyway. Most people see through this these days. They refuse to leave someones house untill they agree to the deal. They claim to sell top of the range when really their quality is on par with any other high street kitchen company. They get their custom through telesales and cold calling, when on their website they claim to get custom through word of mouth.

I've worked with people in sales and i know that this is not the way to sell things in this day and age. Their tactics are old school and unethical, they've been on bbc's watchdog and have been fined in the past by trading standards for cold calling and other thingsf. I have done my research on this company. These days people expect good customer service, and a quality product, with the freedom to decide themselves whether they want something or not.

Yes i know my boyfriend is lucky to have a job, (he's been looking for 2 years ofcourse i realize this) but he doesn't have it in him to just bully people into buying something, he's not going to leave untill he's found another job. You have to work your way up in any company but this one really is all about the money, coming from my boyfriend himself he's even said that they're all about the money. He's just dissapointed that he was decieved and has been lied to a number of times already by these people. The booklet he was given, conflicts with what they're telling him on the training course it's just overall really really dodgy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Stupid Jobseekers website. - July 27th 2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footienut1892 View Post
Elle ofcourse i'm gonna be annoyed, if a job entails a sales role (or any kind of role) you would expect them to include that on any advertisements. The job isn't kitchen designing at all, he is a kitchen salesman. He does little to no desigining at all, they have surveyors employed to do all that, all he does that involves design is draw a basic sketch in front of the customer. He was mislead, and now he's unhappy, he doesn't trust the company already.

And they are con-artists because they claim to fit bespoke kitchens when they don't, they try and sell customers a kitchen for 14k then when they won't accept the salesman calls a manager and somehow the price drops to like 7k which is one of the oldest tricks in the book, make the customer think they're getting a great discount when the original price is well above rrp anyway. Most people see through this these days. They refuse to leave someones house untill they agree to the deal. They claim to sell top of the range when really their quality is on par with any other high street kitchen company. They get their custom through telesales and cold calling, when on their website they claim to get custom through word of mouth.

I've worked with people in sales and i know that this is not the way to sell things in this day and age. Their tactics are old school and unethical, they've been on bbc's watchdog and have been fined in the past by trading standards for cold calling and other thingsf. I have done my research on this company. These days people expect good customer service, and a quality product, with the freedom to decide themselves whether they want something or not.

Yes i know my boyfriend is lucky to have a job, (he's been looking for 2 years ofcourse i realize this) but he doesn't have it in him to just bully people into buying something, he's not going to leave untill he's found another job. You have to work your way up in any company but this one really is all about the money, coming from my boyfriend himself he's even said that they're all about the money. He's just dissapointed that he was decieved and has been lied to a number of times already by these people. The booklet he was given, conflicts with what they're telling him on the training course it's just overall really really dodgy.
why did he go for the job in the first place if you've done your research about what a horrible company they are? i can understand why he wouldn't want to work for them. i've seen companies like that on watchdog before where they target elderly and vulnerable people and bully them into buying things they don't want or need. did you say in your complaint to jobseekers about your concerns over the their sales techniques?
i agree that he should stick with it until he can find another job though because after all a job is a job.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Stupid Jobseekers website. - July 27th 2010, 02:54 PM

He went for the job because as i stated in my original post i didn't do any research prior to him getting an interview, i thought nothing of it. Like other people who probably looked at the vacancy and thought "that sounds like a great oppotunity". I thought it was gonna be exactly what it said on the tin. It was his parents who mentioned that it could be a scam which made me want to have a look, just to be sure. They also didn't state in the advert that the wages are commision based as well, which is again another factor which could influence whether someone applies for a job or not. I didn't mention their sales techniques in my complaint, i couldn't fit it in they have a limit as to how much you can write in the box on their website which sucks. I managed to say everything i needed to regarding the reliability of their adverts though, i'm dissapointed.

He's got like a 3 month trial thing, i think he said in that time he's gonna look elsewhere, but i doubt he'll make the same mistake as before where he left a job before finding something else.

Last edited by Twisted; July 27th 2010 at 03:15 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Stupid Jobseekers website. - July 29th 2010, 03:53 PM

Hey, listen. Don't feel bad - everyone gets pulled in by a scam now and then. And we all feel the same way when it happens to us or someone close to us.

Heard of Vector? Even my university goes on and on about how wonderful they are - and you can make money through them, but only if you're super good at sales, and let's face it, most people aren't. They're a scam company. There's some tutoring company out there, too, and my university promotes them when they're a scam.

And I got pulled in by a scam earlier this year. I found the job on Craigslist (I have had a lot of success there with jobs in the past), but then it got really creepy. The interview was in a hotel room and the guy was promoting me to some really high position without knowing anything about me, but then wouldn't get back to me to tell me about the first day of work. It took a lot of work to dig up stuff about the guy who started the company but turned out he's a multi-million dollar con artist, pretty much.

My point is, you can't trust anywhere these days. There are scams everywhere. Even Clear - you've heard of that internet service, right? They're not a scam, exactly, but they do lie about positions you can get in the company and do tons of false advertising to get more door to door salespeople. But you can learn how to recognize scams.

Find out about their training course or any initial supplies you will need. If you have to pay for one or both of them, it's a scam!!! There's next to no chance of you earning that money back.

Pay attention to where the interview is. If it's not in a work environment or a very public place in a good part of town, don't go!!! Even if it turns out not to be a scam (although it probably is), you don't want to work for an unprofessional place.

Look at what sort of things they ask you for. Before meeting you, they should only want what's on your resume, and confirmation that you're not a criminal and that you are approved to work in your country. After meeting you, they should want information on why you want the job and why you would be good for it. After they hire you, they will want some form of identification - driver's license, passport, social security card, depending on where you work. If they want more than that, especially before they've met you, then it's a scam.

Those are the three main warning signs to look for with a place being a scam - that and not having you fill out paperwork the first day of work. So hopefully now you'll be able to spot them quick and avoid them

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Stupid Jobseekers website. - July 31st 2010, 03:51 PM

My sister was taken in by a scam where she had to make a certain dollar amount of donations in a risky neighborhood after dark or else she would make only the base pay of 8 dollars instead of 13 an hour. It really sucked.

It sucks, but that's why research pays.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
Closed Thread