TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 03:40 AM

Hey, everyone. I had a question. I already have a job but I wanted to volunteer so that I have something more to do. I only want to volunteer for the month of August because in September I move away for University. I used to volunteer at a hospital and I wanted to do that again, but the time I finish the interview, immunization, police check, training, etc, it'd be end of August.

I went to the library and told them I'd like to be a volunteer but they said I'd have to do that online. I went to the website but you have to make an account, then send my resume to the city (NOT the library), and then they check, and blah blah blah.

So my question is, where else would be a good place to volunteer that would have no problem taking me in for just one month? (or that doesn't take a long process to become a volunteer?)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 04:27 AM

Habitat for Humanity
Special Olymics
Nursing homes
Daycare classrooms
Your local zoo - I've never done it, but I know here they do take volunteers

Big Brother/Sister - but you make have to go through a long process

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 12:46 PM

Hospitals, fund-raisers, and church groups are all good ideas.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 12:57 PM

Around here there are a lot of charity shops in need of volunteers. When I went and asked I just had to fill in some forms and then started the next day. I was trained while working so it didn't waste any time. It also gave me retail experience which will help if looking for a part time retail job.

If you are in the UK this might help http://vinspired.com/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 01:36 PM

I agree with Rachel, I volounteer at oxfam and when I went to sign up it only took a few days before I started working. Check out local charity shops like cancer research, oxfam etc

PM // VM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 02:02 PM

http://www.do-it.org.uk/

Charity shops are good and easy to get into.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 02:58 PM

A charity shop will take you on right there!

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamverybeautiful View Post
Hey, everyone. I had a question. I already have a job but I wanted to volunteer so that I have something more to do. I only want to volunteer for the month of August because in September I move away for University. I used to volunteer at a hospital and I wanted to do that again, but the time I finish the interview, immunization, police check, training, etc, it'd be end of August.

I went to the library and told them I'd like to be a volunteer but they said I'd have to do that online. I went to the website but you have to make an account, then send my resume to the city (NOT the library), and then they check, and blah blah blah.

So my question is, where else would be a good place to volunteer that would have no problem taking me in for just one month? (or that doesn't take a long process to become a volunteer?)
Your hospital must run slow as I was in within a week of orientation (but I also had my TB test and it's a university hospital so I think their police department is technically part of the city police department.) You said you did volunteer in the past, did you have a two-step PPD in the past year? Also, most places only want titers and immunizations up to date if you are in patient contact so you may be able to get a position inside the hospital in administration. I do a bunch of random things for administration and employee health. Employee health I just file and eventually I will start on covering lunch breaks once we're done with the filing. QA, I walk around the hospital floor and observe hand-washing, I copy, I pull patients' charts, file, data entry in excel, and I also make power points based off of the bacteria that were grown in the lab from the new-hires.

Usually cat shelters are pretty good about taking people in quickly and I think the humane societies usually need dog walkers right away. I think you have to surrender your driver's license to ensure you won't steal the dog away while you are with the dog.

I know the zoo here takes longer than what it did for me to help walk women going to the clinic. I think they make people take a few classes before they can start volunteering with the public. Daycare and nursing homes will both require a TB test and most likely titers because they don't want people to bring stuff in and they don't adults bringing stuff out. Plus an extensive background check and they may not have a contract with a company to run the volunteer background checks right away.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 07:51 PM

I think most places like Daycares, nursing homes, etc would require a background check regardless of volunteering or being an employee there. I know they did for this one place I think was a hospital is why. I also suggest the humane societies and any charity shops. I know around busy times of the year places will want alot of volunteers.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Volunteering - August 1st 2010, 08:38 PM

A background check only takes a few days at most.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Volunteering - August 2nd 2010, 03:31 PM

The issue is that the place may not contract out and only sends out background checks when they have at least two or three to do for volunteers.

Actually, I think in the US, they need a BCI & Federal to work in daycare or nursing homes. Then that would take a little bit longer. That may be just to work or do clinicals though.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Volunteering - August 2nd 2010, 07:14 PM

Any charity shop. I worked in one for two years. You can work as much or as little as you want - they just appreciate the help. It also gives you experience working on a till and working in retail.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Volunteering - August 3rd 2010, 01:58 PM

I volunteered with the Girl Guides and that's got me to all sorts of places. Admittedly you need a CRB or whatever your US equivalent is...but it can be totally awesome. I've been sent all over the world at cheapo prices to chaperone teenagers who don't really need chaperoning Plus it looks fabby on a CV

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Volunteering - August 3rd 2010, 08:39 PM

Or TeenHelp! You can be an associate staff, so it's no pressure.
Also, you can see if your community has something that picks up trash on bike trails and parks. If you are religious, I would check out some programs in your church. I know a local church of mine has this summer program for teens where they clean up elders people's yard once a week.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Volunteering - August 4th 2010, 03:55 PM

It depends on where you live. In my old town, the animal shelter took anyone. You just walked in, and they told you what they needed help with and handed you a badge. You could go through a longer process for volunteering if you wanted to be long term, but it wasn't necessary. But in my new town, it takes so long to be an animal shelter volunteer that I've given up...it simply isn't worth it.

I prefer to do volunteering without being official. Going into animal shelters and talking to all the animals, pointing out where things are at the library, helping people carry heavy items (or at least bulky items, I'm pretty weak)...you get the point. You don't have to volunteer to do a good deed Since you're only going to be around for a month, I just suggest not becoming an official volunteer anywhere.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

Closed Thread